Replacing Gear Shifter

daazzaa

Likes Bikes
Oh I meant a full upgrade...it works well and isn't too expensive. Not as cheap as scoring a 9speed replacement on the used market though.
Yeh its only for the young fella and he not a $5000 bike of course, may just replace like for like until I learn more about other parts etc

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Yeh its only for the young fella and he not a $5000 bike of course, may just replace like for like until I learn more about other parts etc
Full zee drive is about $200 - 250 and some aspects like cassette and chain used can bring the price down a little, so not lots a $$$. But certainly not a justification within itself. If the majority of the drive is functional then save.

Thanks. Can I ask why? Should it be just replaced at the same time? Can you buy shifters with the cable also or buy separate?
Inner and outer cable both have a huge influence on shifting performance. They stretch, tear, kink, bend, ding, clamp, and fill with grit. They are pretty cheap so a worthwhile repair while you're doing the shifter.

Most new shifters will come with a new inner cable. Outer usually buy separate. Chain reaction for example sell it by the metre.

moorey

call me Mia
Full zee drive is about $200 - 250 and some aspects like cassette and chain used can bring the price down a little, so not lots a $$$. But certainly not a justification within itself. If the majority of the drive is functional then save.

Inner and outer cable both have a huge influence on shifting performance. They stretch, tear, kink, bend, ding, clamp, and fill with grit. They are pretty cheap so a worthwhile repair while you're doing the shifter.

Most new shifters will come with a new inner cable. Outer usually buy separate. Chain reaction for example sell it by the metre.
SLX 11sp is $250-60 if you shop hard. Forget zee. That said, a shifter for now will suffice.

moorey

call me Mia
moorey do you know if a 10sps Zee freeride derailleur will shift to a 42t cassette
Some people say theirs has worked. I tried with both a zee and a middy SLX. No luck without goat link, and only on the SLX for me. It's beyond the claimed chain capacity of a zee also. Seems to depend on people's frame and hanger design.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
moorey do you know if a 10sps Zee freeride derailleur will shift to a 42t cassette
Some people say theirs has worked. I tried with both a zee and a middy SLX. No luck without goat link, and only on the SLX for me. It's beyond the claimed chain capacity of a zee also. Seems to depend on people's frame and hanger design.
That is a big ring for such a small mech. I've got the longer version zee on a max cassette of a 36t and that feels like a tight fit.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
There's no such thing as a longer version of zee...
There was 2 sizes when I purchased the one I have...chain reaction lists them as close and wide ratio. I have the wide ratio and made an assumption it was longer than the close ration. Perhaps I'm wrong and they are identical or very similar? I have not had the chance to put the 2 different versions next to each other.

From crc just now:
mms_img39906936.jpg

I'm not too fussed either way, op will pick up a nicely priced shifter suitable to their needs, if he wants to go all out and refresh the wheel drive 11spd slx sounds like a better option unless the bike is pure gravity, and the sun will rise tomorrow. So I'm going to need some milk to make porridge for breakfast. Hopefully I don't forget to stop at the super market on my way home.

But with 175 poelpe world wide looking at that mech right now...it is obviously a hot item.

moorey

call me Mia
There was 2 sizes when I purchased the one I have...chain reaction lists them as close and wide ratio. I have the wide ratio and made an assumption it was longer than the close ration. Perhaps I'm wrong and they are identical or very similar? I have not had the chance to put the 2 different versions next to each other.

From crc just now:
View attachment 338590

I'm not too fussed either way, op will pick up a nicely priced shifter suitable to their needs, if he wants to go all out and refresh the wheel drive 11spd slx sounds like a better option unless the bike is pure gravity, and the sun will rise tomorrow. So I'm going to need some milk to make porridge for breakfast. Hopefully I don't forget to stop at the super market on my way home.

But with 175 poelpe world wide looking at that mech right now...it is obviously a hot item.
Close (DH) and wide (FR) range. One is 28t max other is 36t max (in theory). Gripo specified the FR model. It's not longer, it's just configured differently. Saint used to, maybe still do, have a little widget deally you can add or remove to change range. On zee, you buy one or the other.

edit...mode converter, they were (are?). https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-sp...0-mode-converter-bolt-unit-y5wn98080/?geoc=AU

Last edited:

daazzaa

Likes Bikes

Thanks mate, makes perfect sense and cheap insurance. In the end now I'm thinking of a slight upgrade to deore shifters. Local bike shop said they can only buy the shifters as a set, not individually. The altus set is $70, acera I think $80 and the deore $100. Thinking the doere as it doesn't ad much to the price and the rear derailleur is deore. Add $30 for 2 outer cables and $40 install cost, $170 total upgrade to left and right deore shifters. I could go cheaper, but ain't saving much and obvioulsy could go much dearer but in the end the bike is only worth so much. Thought this may be a good compromise. The rest (derailleurs etc) are still perfectly fine. Sound OK price ? Just on a limited timeframe and haven't got time to hunt down the gear etc, wait for delivery, and install etc.

moorey

call me Mia
Thanks mate, makes perfect sense and cheap insurance. In the end now I'm thinking of a slight upgrade to deore shifters. Local bike shop said they can only buy the shifters as a set, not individually. The altus set is $70, acera I think $80 and the deore $100. Thinking the doere as it doesn't ad much to the price and the rear derailleur is deore. Add $30 for 2 outer cables and $40 install cost, $170 total upgrade to left and right deore shifters. I could go cheaper, but ain't saving much and obvioulsy could go much dearer but in the end the bike is only worth so much. Thought this may be a good compromise. The rest (derailleurs etc) are still perfectly fine. Sound OK price ? Just on a limited timeframe and haven't got time to hunt down the gear etc, wait for delivery, and install etc.
Put up a wanted on Facebook. There will be tons laying around unused. I had lots but gave it all away or put it on mates kids bikes.

moorey

call me Mia
Thanks mate, will do. I would have made the short trip to Bunny if you had some also :)
I'll have a hunt tomorrow. Reckon I have a minty xt 10sp derailleur I could donate. Will check the cassettes, but think they're gone. Don't think I have a spare 10sp shifter, but who knows. Your 9sp chain will work on 10sp.
Where are you based? Send me a text on 0408 820 237 to remind me in the morning. Will be in the shed hunting for parts already.

daazzaa

Likes Bikes
I'll have a hunt tomorrow. Reckon I have a minty xt 10sp derailleur I could donate. Will check the cassettes, but think they're gone. Don't think I have a spare 10sp shifter, but who knows. Your 9sp chain will work on 10sp.
Where are you based? Send me a text on 0408 820 237 to remind me in the morning. Will be in the shed hunting for parts already.
You must do a lot of upgrades to have so many parts mate! Im in Bendigo, but head your way alot. Will send you a text in the morning. :)

moorey

call me Mia
You must do a lot of upgrades to have so many parts mate! Im in Bendigo, but head your way alot. Will send you a text in the morning. :)
Between me, the wife and 2 kids (both kids have a a couple each), I'm always building or changing something. Done around a dozen builds for others in the last couple of years, so parts come and go like the wind.
I upgraded a few of mine to 11sp, so most of my 10sp went onto the kids bikes. Only really held some 9sp in SRAM for the daughter, coz it shifts so light on her little fingers. I have been holding an XTR 9sp shifter for her, looking for a nice 9sp Shimano high end derailleur going cheap....but still waiting. Time is on my side. Will talk tomorrow.

daazzaa

Likes Bikes
Between me, the wife and 2 kids (both kids have a a couple each), I'm always building or changing something. Done around a dozen builds for others in the last couple of years, so parts come and go like the wind.
I upgraded a few of mine to 11sp, so most of my 10sp went onto the kids bikes. Only really held some 9sp in SRAM for the daughter, coz it shifts so light on her little fingers. I have been holding an XTR 9sp shifter for her, looking for a nice 9sp Shimano high end derailleur going cheap....but still waiting. Time is on my side. Will talk tomorrow.
Cheers mate.