Responsible Trail Building

belly_up

Likes Dirt
This is a good article on Pinkbike about responsible trail building, both from a nature perspective and a safety one.

It also has some good tips for all you budding NS builders out there, to make sure your trails are fun, whilst not killing anybody at the same time.

Some good points in there that we should all keep in mind when building trails, although as far as i'm concerned, conservation ends at lantana...

alshogun

Likes Bikes
great article!!! ive seen some stunts near me that look like they've been made from scrap wood in 5min. not good for the trail, and definately not good if they break when you're on it :(

Glock

Likes Bikes
hi there to all mtbers

me and a few others are going to start making a track with a bit of north shore stuff in it in the not too distant future. it's not going to be a nevin track if that's what you're wondering. any suggestions on stuff that you wanna see built?

josh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
give me a time and place to help and ill do my best to be there.

skinnies...teeters etc would be bulk cool

where abouts were you thinking of building it?

Glock

Likes Bikes
well me and jeremy were thinking maybe next thursday (i have the day off cos i don't have exams on that day - such a sweet setup that is). it'll be next to lefty, on the right hand side (not along the same ridge, but on the ridge to the right). i'm thinking of calling it "python" (cos python tyres are sweet) or maybe even "alrighty" (cause it'll be to the right of lefty - geddit?). planning to have a, b, c lines so that xc riders like me can handle it! i also have plans to build a dirt jump spot down the bottom (past nevin's gay roll-down into trees) so that i can actually learn how to jump big.
only problem is that we need tools, so i thought maybe get some 2nd hand ones from the pcyc markets. i figure that alot can be done (in terms of building) in the upcoming skool hols.

josh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
very cool :)

have you thought about materials tho? you need some good quality wood for braces etc

and you need an army to build this sort of stuff, believe ive tried by myself and it sucks.

nathan

Likes Dirt
yeh ill be in that guys if its during the day just let us know what days and where to meet. Sounds awesome. Maybe we'll have to visit a sawmill or something? Hopefully we can get a coordinated effort happening and get one built.

Glock

Likes Bikes
hmmm yes materials....might come in handy. Well if we build a bit of a stockpile of wood/pallets now, then we can just yoink it from the pile whenever we need it. We do however need to put this in a discrete location (ie so people can't see the stuff from the road). I'm going to be down around "Alrighty" (hehe i christened an unbuilt track) Tuesday morning, Tuesday arvy from 3pm onwards, as well as Wednesday arvy (i'll go to club, so we can discuss stuff there), and Thursday morning and afternoon, and maybe even Friday. I'll mainly be clearing shit away to form a basic trail outline to start with, and then we can start building the kewl stuff. Any building tool donations / loans would be appreciated. Good to see some enthusiasm for trail building - it might take time and effort, but i'm sure that in the long run it'll be worth it.

josh

Likes Bikes and Dirt
lol glock, $2 from silly sollies i heard?!

hehehe, i missed ya this arvo at lefty, but i heard about ur expensive shovels ;)

Scott

bAdmin
Staff member
we're building a new line over the log drop on lefty... will be a reasonable double over the high end of the tree drop (jump before tree)... it will be followed by a couple burms and a drop over the existing track (heh, v small road gap) and go into a long line of small flowing doubles.. (well thats the plan anyway)