DJ Ressurecting an STP

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Over lockdown whilst slowly losing my mind because stuck inside, trails shut etc etc, I ended up heading down to the old local DJ spot with a shovel, and started resurrecting the old jumps that were now poorly shaped lumps of dirt. Trying to ride them on a trail bike make me quickly realise that a proper 26er is probably a good idea, so jumped on Gumtree and bought the cheapest thing I could find that wasn't garbage - an old STP, guessing 2008ish era? Deal was done with a random dude in the dark without much of a test, brakepads were shot so burned all the crap out of them with isopropyl and a blowtorch, everything else was fairly workable.

Changes in the month or so since buying:
  • Tyres - Kenda K-Rads suck, even moreso when they're 90% bald. Replaced with Maxxis Holy Rollers
  • Stem & bars - came with actually fairly decent NS bars (cut to <700mm) + stem, but being so used to wide bars they had to go. Replaced with Deity Copperhead and Joystick 8-Bit Alloy bars
  • Cranks, BB, chainring, pedals - Had XT M785s laying around and a 32t NW ring, so why not. Pedal change was a necessity, came with crap plastic BMX things.
  • Wheels were okay but heavy - found some DT Swiss stuff cheap on CRC because 26", so figured why not. EX471 on DT350 hubs, with DT Comp spokes.
  • Stripped frame - mostly with paint stripper, lost my cool with the bottom layer that wouldn't strip after subjecting eye to an involuntary chemical bath, so finished off with a wirewheel.
After / Before:

Stripping frame:

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Looks awesome. like a lot of hard work (both building and riding) but looks awesome.
Looks like a lot of hard work has paid off.
Not overly hard so much as just tedious. I don't mind building up bikes to be honest - somewhat meditative and good to do something with my hands.

I'm thinking now that i've got a few rides on it that it's a small frame unfortunately, which is less than ideal given i'm 6'2. Either that or i'm just really not used to a small bike after riding a long & slack 29er.

slowmick

38-39"
The seat height scares my middle aged self. There's no lazy arse cruisin on that seat - just lots of standing and shredding.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I love riding low...knees up high, rolling the frame side to side. People must hate trying to over take me. I don't care.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Frame came up so good! Well done sir.
Still not sure it was worth the effort! Cheers
But they have tough paint...not flimsy giant paint.
I dunno.. the top two layers peeled without any effort using paint stripper + water blast. Easy. The original white giant paint though.. wow. Was having none of it. Tried 3 different coats with different brands & it barely had any effect, at which point I decided to combine paint stripper + wire wheel which I immediately regretted.
That came up great. The STP is a Giant classic.
Better than expected, was actually going to paint it but will definitely leave it raw now. Used to have an old STP back in school days.. was pondering when waterblasting -what if i've unknowingly bought back the frame that was originally mine? The original colour and potential year match. Slim chance, but would be funny if so.
The seat height scares my middle aged self. There's no lazy arse cruisin on that seat - just lots of standing and shredding.
Has scared me once already, landed a jump on Sunday & must have been crouching down too much, G'ed out and couldn't push up with legs before next jump so ended up going off it completely sitting down. By some miracle I rode it out.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Better than expected, was actually going to paint it but will definitely leave it raw now. Used to have an old STP back in school days.. was pondering when waterblasting -what if i've unknowingly bought back the frame that was originally mine? The original colour and potential year match. Slim chance, but would be funny if so.
Buffed and polished alloy is hard not too like. The STP's have some ncie welds tucked away in there.
Well done sir.

Asininedrivel

caviar connoisseur
Very very nice, love a bit of naked alloy. How you finding the Holy Rollers? Seems to be a lot of conflicting opinion on versatile DJ tyres. DTHs are either brilliant or shit, same with whatever Schwalbe's version is (Smart Sams?)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Very very nice, love a bit of naked alloy. How you finding the Holy Rollers? Seems to be a lot of conflicting opinion on versatile DJ tyres. DTHs are either brilliant or shit, same with whatever Schwalbe's version is (Smart Sams?)
I think you mean the schwalbe table top, which I quite like. I find the holy ok, but feel there are many better options.

Isaakk

Likes Bikes and Dirt
They seem to grip well enough on street/clay/dirt, so that's enough for me. I did actually try getting some Tabletops but couldn't find any, next cheapish thing I could find was the Holy Rollers so decided they'd do. $80 from eBay iirc for both.