POS Resurrecting an old STP

nathanm

Eats Squid
Why are these bikes always turned into a complete abortion? Anyways the plan is to return it to something rideable for the kids on the trails/street and me to use at the Skate Park and by use I mean just sit on it and watch the kids skateboard.

Frame - Giant STP2?, guessing it's probably a 2006?
Front shock/fork - Original Marzocchi Dirt Jam Comp. It sounds like metal on metal and is leaking fluid past the seals.
Handlebars - some pimp looking Chrome Funn jobbies.
Stem - a Quite nice Crank Brothers one
Headset - stock probably
Grips - no idea but they're so fluffly Im gunna die
Saddle - original by the looks
Seatpost - original too probably
Front brake - nope
Rear brake - this is where it gets good. Tektro Level and Shimano Caliper with a hose thats too long so it's cable tied along the entire frame and the bleed nipple has been snapped off.
Cranks - Came with two sets. an nice Raceface one and the original Husselfelt (sp?) both missing the bolt
Chainguide - comes with some new tensioner in place of the derailleur. Will be looking to convert it to 1x9/10 so it has some pedalability
Chain - didn't come with the bike so need a new one.
Pedals - came with the original velo VP ones and some other generic set
Front derailleur - what is this thing you speak of?
Rear derailleur - replaced with tensioner
Cassette - has been ghetto'd up to run single spead. has the standard 7 ring cassette body then a spacer then some random cogs spaced out
Wheels - Now this is where it gets fun. Came with what looks like the original Rhyno Lite rims on Shimano hubs. front is good, rear has some light buckling but they look good.
The seller also chucked in a heap of other wheels and about 6 decade old tyres which includes -
MTX33 on a deore hub with has been gutted
Mavic 223? on shimano deore in good condition
and what I initially got excited about when I saw them =
Stans ARCH rims on some sweet DT Swiss hubs
The front is in excellent condition and the rear sounded sweet as but upon pulling the tyre off, the rim has been cased hard many a time and has some pretty severe denting and rash. I had a play with tapping the rim out when the cassette and freehub body fell off and now I can't work out how to get it all back together again.

Anyway now I'm out to source some parts to return it to its former infamy.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
despite indications to the contrary I do very much love my girlfriend and wouldn't trade her for the world, except for Pauline Hanson, she's so cute.
:eek:

You going to try and go with period stuff or just whatever to get it up and running?

nathanm

Eats Squid
:eek:

You going to try and go with period stuff or just whatever to get it up and running?
Red heads are the devils spawn, case in point.

whatever parts I can find, its more to just get it out and riding as intended, instead of this ridiculous ghetto crap people convert them to.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Red heads are the devils spawn, case in point.

whatever parts I can find, its more to just get it out and riding as intended, instead of this ridiculous ghetto crap people convert them to.
to be fair, they come ghetto crap From factory. Cheap crap that fall apart when ridden as intended, and kids can’t afford good stuff.

Why you’d run stans arch rims on a dj bike is beyond me.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Why you’d run stans arch rims on a dj bike is beyond me.
I couldn't believe it when i pulled the tyre off, they've destroyed an excellent wheel set for nothing.

Yeah the components were rubbish from factory but they were cheap and served a purpose at the time. But why the need to pull a brake off and run it single speed? I suppose it was just the cool thing to do a decade ago?

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Looks like a lot of fun. I have had one eye opened for a cheap STP but don't know how much I would use it. I don't want to be the creepy old guy that gets out d00ded by teenagers at the local skatepark either.

Clean it up and service the forks and triage the lot. Don't toss the forks until you have opened them up and had a look. Marzocchi's have always been a complete doddle to service from my own personal experience.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
But why the need to pull a brake off and run it single speed? I suppose it was just the cool thing to do a decade ago?
Because it's a dirt jumping park destroyer, gears just vet in the way and break easily. Unless you are me, in which case you aren't skilled enough to risk them.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Because KISS.

Look at the jumps bmx racers are doing, you don’t need gears to go fast. And with such short rear ends getting weight on the back wheel to slow down isn’t hard at all.

My front hub doesn’t even have disk mounts haha.

nathanm

Eats Squid
As the kids will also be riding it I wanted max stopping power as wheel as some gears to make it easier to pedal

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
As the kids will also be riding it I wanted max stopping power as wheel as some gears to make it easier to pedal
Fortunately they didn't grow up in an era where a rear rim brake only, that didn't work well at the best of times, was the standard mode of operation. Ahh, my Shimano Tourney, I remember you well :)