Revel Rail Tuxedo.

moorey

call me Mia
Firstly, don't comment on the overly long and untidy front brake. Finished everything else just before rain was due to come in, and couldn't keep this out of Felix's hands any longer. Will shorten tonight.

Secondly, huge thanks to @russthedog for putting up with a million questions leading up me pulling the pin...and a few afterwards. Additional props to @Nerf Herder for similar patience in helping out with spec and advice.

No Thanks to cussing @Boom King for constantly putting bad thoughts into my mind about things I can't afford, yet can't live without, clearly.

The story behind this is that Felix has been supported by our LBS Dynamite Cycles for a couple of years, and last year they made him a Kona brand Ambassador. He had a ripping season on the Process 153, taking the overall in the State Enduro Series and 3rd at the National Champs. Had planned to get 2 years out of the bike then weigh up options, but the shop dropped Kona earlier this year. Felix and I weighed up the options of moving onto a Spesh or a GT to stick with the shop, but Covid shortages meant very few bikes were coming to Aus, and were looking all pre-sold. They were also only 29" options which Felix has tested, and feels like he's having a lot more fun on 27.5. He thinks the 29" could be a little faster in a race situation, but 90% of his riding is playing and jumping. Boomed listened to my gripes about bike availability and wheel sizes, and talked me into seeing what the Offroad Bikes Online boys could do a Revel. I'd been drooping over the Rail myself, so it didn't take too much arm twisting when Sam had a bike and fork in stock that I could scrape enough cash to buy, and parts in the shed to complete the build. I liked the mint coloured frame, Felix liked the orange, but when only red lyriks were available, we agreed on the Black Tuxedo frame.

Why 11sp, you'll ask....

Felix has had a faultless couple of seasons on XT 11sp, never skipped a beat, when others around him were having Eagle mechanicals. Yes, shimano 12sp is meant to be good, but will wait and see. Felix doesn't need more than the 10-42 cassettes for climbing, but missed a bit of top end speed, so we made some changes to his 11sp gearing. Will suck it and see.

The only other 'must' was Hope wheels. Felix has never ridden anything else, and isn't interested in a change. Fine by me. Sam was keen for us to try a Formula Selva fork. Maybe next time, I only hear good thinks, but I've got a preference for Lyriks, have all the spares....and love the red colour.

Comments on the build process...

Firstly, the internal cable routing is gorgeous. It's all tubed, so cables just glide through. It's super neat, and sensibly routed, someone has put a lot of thought into it. Not a rattle to be heard dropping the bike. Frame is beautifully finished, and just looks stunning. I had the ORBO guys get it professional frame wrapped for me, and its a perfect job. Threaded BB was almost a deal breaker on a bike for me. No issues here with that point. Woot.

Had no idea what to expect with weight. Its still running DH wheels and a DD casing rear. This could be built up really light, I reckon, but we are after a rave bike that will survive the apocalypse. Even though 12mm more travel in the rear, and 10mm in the front, came in at about a kg lighter than the Process with an essentially identical build. Sitting at a whisker under 15kg with pedals.

First ride..

She's already muddy after a 30 minute rang in the rain. Felix is blown away by how it pedals. Particularly climbing, he reckons it feels like a HT, without any noticable bob. More to some after a few days of solid testing.

Frame: Revel Rail Tuxedo, large. 165mm travel.
Fork: Lyrik RC2.1 Ultimate. 170mm
Shock: RS Super Deluxe Untimate.
Wheels: Hope DHtech 27.5 on Hope Pro4. Boost.
Brakes: M8000 levers on Zee calipers. (One of the few recycled parts. Felix's faves)
Tyres: DHF 2.5 WT front. DHR2 DD 2.4 rear.
Cranks: M8100 170mm (thanks @DMan )
Chainring: Burgtech DM 34t. Thanks Nerf. (grabbed a 32 in case 34 is too big, good so far)
Cassette: Sunrace 10-46 XD 11sp
Derailleur: m8000 mid cage
Chain: XT 11sp
Dropper: KS 150 integra. Thanks Nerf. Southpaw remote.
Pedals: Bergtech M4. Thanks Nerf.
Bars: Spank Vibracore 800's (thanks Nerf)
Stem: Spank race 2 35mm long. Thanks Nerf.
Seat: Spank
Grips: TLD lock on.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Very sexy.

Is that seat tube angle reasonably slack by modern standards? Or is it just that there have been a lot of very steep seat tubes posted recently?

Keep the front hose long, he is going to be throwing tail whips in no time.

wkkie

It's Not Easy Being Green
Awesome rig and great numbers. Look forward to seeing how it holds up under Felix's punishment!