Reverb oil, is there a substitute?

downhiller96

Likes Dirt
So I've been having trouble with my reverb dropper and have had to bleed it several times, and have run out of reverb oil. I was wondering if anyone uses any other oil instead of the proper reverb oil? Or does anyone know what type of oil the proper reverb oil is?

Cheers

kwikee

Likes Dirt
I used Shimano mineral oil last time and it worked fine. I reckon sewing machine oil would be ok too. They say baby oil works in Shimano brakes, so maybe it'd work in a dropper remote? Can't see why not.

moorey

call me Mia
I used Shimano mineral oil last time and it worked fine. I reckon sewing machine oil would be ok too. They say baby oil works in Shimano brakes, so maybe it'd work in a dropper remote? Can't see why not.
Pretty sure reverbs don't use mineral oil. From memory, I used 2.5wt fork oil when I had a reverb for a few weeks and bled it 4532 times.

kwikee

Likes Dirt
Pretty sure reverbs don't use mineral oil. From memory, I used 2.5wt fork oil when I had a reverb for a few weeks and bled it 4532 times.
Pretty sure mine still has that in the lines so it works- at least for a while!

downhiller96

Likes Dirt
No that would be me, no issues and no bleeding required since months in
Yeah it's funny, I have 1 reverb that I have had on a bike for 8 months and had zero problems and then on the other bike the problems havnt stopped with that reverb!

sukebe

Likes Dirt
Supercheap Auto has a variety of DOT 4 and DOT 5.1 brake oils for $8 to $10 for 500ml. All are suitable for Reverb posts and SRAM Brakes.