Reviving the Solaris

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Now has a Box One drivetrain, with Sunrace 11-42t cassette, KMC chain and Hope N/W chainring.

The Box gear is crisp. Very clean clicks in the shifter, and a smooth transition out the back. I got the newer twin lever design shifter, so it behaves in same way as a sram one, unlike the push push they had before. It’s probably not quite X0 level, but its big step up over the X7 gear I had on here before. Setup was straightforward, I’ve actually never installed a whole new drivetrain in one go, normally just replace and repair as needed. Pretty stoked to do it myself. The housing for the shifter cable needed to be longer though (Box feeds in through a long “pivot tech” arm to change the angle). I just used an old brake cable outer for now, but will get a proper gear cable outer and ferrules for it.

Went for a 34t upfront now, and after one ride I’m fairly sure I made right choice, felt a lot faster on the flats, and with 42t out back after years of 36, not really losing anything in the lower gears.

Best part is that it’s all orange and black to blend in with rest of bike!
49895541-5CC6-4F34-A447-F0A6A52A679F.jpeg

Forgot to put chainstay protector back on, oops!

Perfect start to spring to get out in the sun on it today!
79B93E68-37A6-4BD4-A9F8-9CB2F0793AA5.jpeg