Reviving the Solaris

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Have given this bike a separate PYR thread because I'm planning on upgrading it and could do with some help and advice along the way.

Frame - 2013 duck egg blue Cotic Solaris
Front shock/fork - 2011 120 mm Fox Float 32 120mm RockShox Pike RCT3
Handlebars - Truativ Boobar 740 mm
Stem - Truativ AKA 60mm
Headset - kcnc (or something) Hope
Grips - ODI Rogue Ergon GA2
Saddle - WTB Volt
Seatpost - KS eTen
Front brake - Guide RS
Rear brake - Guide RS
Cranks - X9
Pedals - Shimano Saint OneUp composite
Rear derailleur - X7 10 spd Box One
Rear shifter - X7 10 Spd Box One
Cassette - SRAM 10 spd SunRace 11 spd 11-42t
Front hub - Novatec Nukeproof
Rear hub - Novatec
Front rim - Flow EX
Rear rim - Flow EX
Tyres - 2.35 Hans Dampf Front / 2.3 High Roller II F / 2.3 Aggressor Rear

The plan: I really want a short travel trail bike, so I thought I might upgrade this as much as possible, ride for another year or so, and then transfer over the parts.

Cotic FlareMAX / Pole Evolink would be the dream.

Main issue: Fork is near the end of its life (stanchion wear) and needs replacing regardless. Ideally I want to get something thats 29/27.5+ compatible, with travel adjustable between 120 (Solaris max) - 140 mm (for future bike). I'll have to get a new headset as its currently running a straight steerer, but there are Hope and Cane Creek options for that. Also the current front hub is only 9mm QR, so probably need to get a new hub or wheel anyway - may as well go Boost.

Is it worth rebuilding an old Flow EX rim onto a new hub? Rims are ding free and pretty true. After the cheapest option with the wheel so can spend more on the fork.

Last edited:

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Duck egg Cotic's are so good looking. Props to a fellow Solaris owner

It's not boost, but I've got a 29" Pike I could sell you cheap. It's currently set to 120mm with a Luftkappe installed. Also have a 130mm shaft for it.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Duck egg Cotic's are so good looking. Props to a fellow Solaris owner

It's not boost, but I've got a 29" Pike I could sell you cheap. It's currently set to 120mm with a Luftkappe installed. Also have a 130mm shaft for it.
Oh might be an option! 15mm TA? I need to have a look at if I can get adapters for my hub. Its a cheap Novatec one that may or may not be able to take different end caps (I think they had different versions of the same model too which complicates it).

I'll send you a PM later.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Attached a couple of photos. Need to work out if there are replacement parts. Seem to end up in some dark corners of Aliexpress with conflicting information.

IMG_3756.jpg

IMG_3755.jpg

Not sure that they are pop-out rather than threaded is a good sign.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Pop out is what you want. Looks like it will take end caps for a 15mm axle. Not that you need them, but I'll probably be selling my Flow MK3 wheels on Hope Pro4's sometime soon, basically new .

Front can be run qr, 15x100 and with MRP adapters, 15x110 boost without re-dishing
Rear however is qr or 12x142. Although you can get boost kits for them I think they'll generally need a re-dish.

...not that I'm trying to convince you to spend money or anything haha

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Bike is a bit of dog's breakfast still, need to get the rest of the matchy matchy Hope bling happening.
:D Its gonna be siiiiiick! Orange and blue is fantatic. It’s like cotic had hopes orange ano in mind when they did the logo

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
More bits! Probably should have got the things that actually need doing done first, but needed moar orange!

IMG_3923.jpg

Update later

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
IMG_3933.jpg

Quick update!

Went for a spin at Majura today and loved the confidence that the Pike gives over the old Fox 32. Felt right at home pointing it at the rocky bits and just letting it do its thing.

Put on a 45mm Ritchey stem. Feels so short compared to the 65mm - but also kinda feels incredibly nimble.

Re-routed the dropper cable through the external notches on the top tube for the front derailleur and added a KS southpaw lever. Not sure how this will play out in the long run, but used some end caps with the rubber filters to keep as clean as possible. May have cut the cable a tad too short, but seems OK for now.

Will need to get a Hope order in soon for a new bottom bracket and matching parts for where there are still red bits.

Otherwise, enjoying the new life breathed into this bike, and the fact that it can go a bit rowdier now!

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
View attachment 347886
Quick update!

Went for a spin at Majura today and loved the confidence that the Pike gives over the old Fox 32. Felt right at home pointing it at the rocky bits and just letting it do its thing.

Put on a 45mm Ritchey stem. Feels so short compared to the 65mm - but also kinda feels incredibly nimble.

Re-routed the dropper cable through the external notches on the top tube for the front derailleur and added a KS southpaw lever. Not sure how this will play out in the long run, but used some end caps with the rubber filters to keep as clean as possible. May have cut the cable a tad too short, but seems OK for now.

Will need to get a Hope order in soon for a new bottom bracket and matching parts for where there are still red bits.

Otherwise, enjoying the new life breathed into this bike, and the fact that it can go a bit rowdier now!
Duck egg blue and orange really work together!

I'm liking your idea with running the dropper through the ports for the front derailleur. I may look at doing that with mine to clean it up a bit.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Bit of history to this bike. In 2013 I took up mtb on a whim, because I wanted a commuter that could go on gravel roads. Most of the components initially came off my “first” $500 mountain bike that I upgraded as I broke pretty much everything on it... fork, wheels, brakes, drivetrain all weren’t up to handle my new passion for riding single track..

56ECD1C1-EEEB-4957-B533-C582EAF14DCA.jpeg

Yep that is a Schwinn. Ended up replacing everything on this bike! Including adding a shitty Reverb dropper and Guide brakes not long after this photo.

Then I replaced the frame last, about 3 years ago now

62708CB3-1DBF-4BC7-9BB6-3C5278D15A8B.jpeg

I’ve bought other bikes in the last few years, but it’s nice to finally build this one up properly!