Ride Concepts clipless shoes need shim for Time and Crank Brothers cleats???

ForkinGreat

Knows his Brassica oleracea
I bought some Ride Concepts Transition clipless shoes from Pushys in one of their big sales, and finally took them out of the box to mount cleats, and I see there is a sticker covering the cleat slots, stating that if I use crank brothers, Time or Look cleats, then I need to use a shim, otherwise the warranty is void. (WTF?!?)

I have Time ATAC cleats, and there is never a shim in the packaging, so what shim would I need?
I have never come across this sort of requirement on MTB clipless shoes before.

I reached out to Ride Concepts last night, but They have not responded yet ((because of UK time??)

teK--

Eats Squid
Just buy the crank brothers metal cleat sole plate. it stops the pedal digging into the shoe sole, which can be problem particularly on carbon soled shoes.

ForkinGreat

Just buy the crank brothers metal cleat sole plate. it stops the pedal digging into the shoe sole, which can be problem particularly on carbon soled shoes.
yep, done. Cycling deal had them cheapish with free post.

I didn't think the cleat mounting area on the RC shoes was carbon (?)

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The reason is because the bars on the pedal have no bottom out stop like SPD's, so the bars press and wear the shoe as the brass cleat just hangs inside the bars, then the pressure of pedalling plus float of the pedal wears the sole and cleat screw plate, often eating in to the front screw holes, rendering them useless.

I bought the cleat plates once a load of years ago and used them on 2 pairs of XC shoes (same plates transferred to a new pair) and they get a little bit bent and sharp after a while. Reckon they are still on a pair old old shoes in the shoe drawer.

FWIW the Speciale 8/12's have 4 small grub screws that stop a lot of unnecessary float. Great pedals for trail, enduro etc... bit of an overkill for XC and gravel duties.

Usually a pair of shoes has worn out in other ways before the pedal fcks the sole so I don't bother anymore.

ForkinGreat

The reason is because the bars on the pedal have no bottom out stop like SPD's, so the bars press and wear the shoe as the brass cleat just hangs inside the bars, then the pressure of pedalling plus float of the pedal wears the sole and cleat screw plate, often eating in to the front screw holes, rendering them useless.

I bought the cleat plates once a load of years ago and used them on 2 pairs of XC shoes (same plates transferred to a new pair) and they get a little bit bent and sharp after a while. Reckon they are still on a pair old old shoes in the shoe drawer.

FWIW the Speciale 8/12's have 4 small grub screws that stop a lot of unnecessary float. Great pedals for trail, enduro etc... bit of an overkill for XC and gravel duties.

Usually a pair of shoes has worn out in other ways before the pedal fcks the sole so I don't bother anymore.
I've never bothered with a cleat plate before, it's just the first time I've seen a 'use a cleat plate or the warranty's void, cunt' sort of sticker on new shoes.
Not being one to read the booklets that come with shoes, I wonder if other manufacturers have that little clause in their shoe warranty.

teK--

Eats Squid
FWIW I had shimano XC shoes with carbon sole which I did use the cleat plate, and the plate ended up getting fairly mangled like what ozzybmx said. On a subsequent pair of shimano shoes with plastic soles I didn't use the cleat plate, and the metal parts of the crank bros pedals wore some ridges into the sole of the shoe which might make it hard to reposition the cleats fore/aft in future.

ForkinGreat

FWIW I had shimano XC shoes with carbon sole which I did use the cleat plate, and the plate ended up getting fairly mangled like what ozzybmx said. On a subsequent pair of shimano shoes with plastic soles I didn't use the cleat plate, and the metal parts of the crank bros pedals wore some ridges into the sole of the shoe which might make it hard to reposition the cleats fore/aft in future.
indeed, the time cleats dig in to the sole plate covering the cleat slot on a couple of pairs of my old shoes. never had a big problem with re-positioning the cleats. one plus is that once tightened to torque spec, the cleats don't move. I admit that the SPD cleats are good in that regard, but my knees seem to like time pedals/cleats better.

Last edited:

ForkinGreat

Crank brothers shoe shield shims won't play well with the 4 wedge-shaped points on the bottom of Time ATAC cleats. (who'd have thunk it?!?!? )
Reached out to Ride Concepts about 4+ days ago. No response. why do they even bother having social media messaging on FB?
:rolleyes:

I also looked at the booklet that came with my Spesh 2FO clip shoes. No mention of cleat shims at all, but apparently not designed to cope with anything that mountain bikers might consider fun, so... no tricks, ramps, jumps, no aggressive riding, no riding on severe terrain, riding in severe climates, commercial activities etc. all of these will void the warranty.
Only gentle commuting in a non-severe climate, and carefully walking, on a non-slip surface, to the kitchen to make a cup of tea, I guess.

Last edited:

ozzybmx

I also looked at the booklet that came with my Spesh 2FO clip shoes. No mention of cleat shims at all, but apparently not designed to cope with anything that mountain bikers might consider fun, so... no tricks, ramps, jumps, no aggressive riding, no riding on steep terrain, riding in severe climates, commercial activities etc. all of these will void the warranty.
Only gentle commuting in a non-severe climate, and carefully walking to the kitchen to make a cup of tea, I guess.
Ironic it stands for 2 Feet Out :p Until you read the small print.

The 2FO Clip is all about going fast and taking chances. Nearly vertical trail? No problem. Mega rock garden? Bring it on. Huge gap jump? Send it.

ozzybmx

yeah nah, 2FO = Foot Out, Flat Out. If you have both feet out, then not only are you risking smashed nads, but you will instantly void the warranty. Again. :p
Yeah it was something like that, only had 2 pairs, did get to use them much... both destroyed by my kids.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Crank brothers shoe shield shims won't play well with the 4 wedge-shaped points on the bottom of Time ATAC cleats. (who'd have thunk it?!?!? )
Reached out to Ride Concepts about 4+ days ago. No response. why do they even bother having social media messaging on FB?
:rolleyes:

I also looked at the booklet that came with my Spesh 2FO clip shoes. No mention of cleat shims at all, but apparently not designed to cope with anything that mountain bikers might consider fun, so... no tricks, ramps, jumps, no aggressive riding, no riding on severe terrain, riding in severe climates, commercial activities etc. all of these will void the warranty.
Only gentle commuting in a non-severe climate, and carefully walking, on a non-slip surface, to the kitchen to make a cup of tea, I guess.
Can you cut out a thin shim from like a plastic mudguard and bolt it under the cleat?

ForkinGreat

Ok, so Finally heard back from Ride Concepts. RC bought by Fox.

Don't bother using a shim with Time cleats. That would have been handy to know, instead of the sticker with the BS about time and CB voiding the warranty.

Linda Greene customerservice@rideconcepts.com via freshdesk.com
5:13 AM (9 hours ago)

My apologies, we have gone through some changes and are now part of Fox factory. This has caused significant delays in social media, glad you reached out directly.

Good to know the CB shim/shield does not fit. We will be changing the Transition in the future.

Try the shoes without the shim and see if they work, it should.

If something happens, we will make sure to warranty. My coworker uses Time and does not use a shield and he has not had any issues.

Thank you,
Linda