Rider etiquette sticky?

Flow-Rider

Burner
I know exactly what creaky is talking about, not many people want to stop or slow down for traffic on the trails here. I'm sure they haven't endured the pain of a serious head on yet.

It will be interesting to see when there's a serious collision, what will come of it in court. I've heard of 2 separate incidents that started into litigating but didn't get to see or hear about the outcome. It's got me stumped how the land mangers refuse to accept legal one way trails here in Brisbane, I know there's a few that are signed as 'one way' but apparently not legal.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I reckon the give way going down is all wrong. Sure it's easy to start rolling again but the dude going down has their flow on but the dude going up hill is normally just grinding. Cutting a downhill run has a much greater impact on the ride than cutting an uphill slog. My 2c

LPG

likes thicc birds
I think the give way going down is the only practical way on a 2 way trail (assuming the ebikes arent part of the discussion). It forces the person coming down to be responsible for how they ride. Making the person going up have to give way is pretty challenging when someone us coming mach 10 at you.
Realistically most people going up will give way to the downhill rider but it is the responsibiloty of the downhill rider to not hit the slow uphill rider.

One way trails or sections of trails are great ways to avoid the issue

Flow-Rider

Burner
I reckon the give way going down is all wrong. Sure it's easy to start rolling again but the dude going down has their flow on but the dude going up hill is normally just grinding. Cutting a downhill run has a much greater impact on the ride than cutting an uphill slog. My 2c
We argue about this on our local page all the time because land managers refuse to make trails directional and the XC groups don't want to lose a trail to climb. So now we get some stubborn people that just think you can stop or change line on a trail that needs lots of speed to clear features.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I assume that the downhill rider giving way is not so much to do with who is more put out by stopping than it is to do with reducing risks of serious injuries / collisions. If the downhill rider stops then the potential collision speed is the speed of the uphill rider, say 10kmh. If the uphill rider stops then the potential collision speed is more like 30kmh plus. Really makes sense on two way trails if you’re objective about it.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I'm one of the sick fucks who enjoys the up as much as the down.

I usually adapt my decision to what the oncoming guy seems to be doing. It's a hard pill to swallow when you don't get any acknowledgment from the other dude when you've pulled over for him.

Down should give way. Gravity is your friend.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I enjoy going up as well and not many rides go buy without a decent climb in it. I also agree that the person going down has to slow up, make space, etc. They can't just keep bombing and trust that everyone will move, it's a mutual thing but I'd prefer to see the person going down continue their run as best possible than have some one, who has zero flow, get right of way. Just my 2c, I tend to give way more often than not regardless of what I'm doing.

LPG, your point is sound and I agree with what you say. For me, the best bet is one way trails. That way risk is minimised as much as possible. I often clear sight lines on my local trails, which are two way, a couple of times a year. I've had multiple close calls for head on crashes that were nobody's fault, just two dudes going at it on undulating trails with minimal line of sight in some sections.

Matty_P

Likes Dirt
Have always ridden that it's harder to restart going up than going down, and consequently those going down give way to those going up. I'm also one of those weirdos who likes climbing. Though I don't climb Cressy's anymore.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Have always ridden that it's harder to restart going up than going down, and consequently those going down give way to those going up. I'm also one of those weirdos who likes climbing. Though I don't climb Cressy's anymore.
If you climbed cressy you would definitely piss off people. It’s a one track.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Not trying to sound like a tough guy or nuffink but I don’t find it hard to get going uphill again after stopping as it’s not like you’re building up a high cadence or have to be in the zone or anything. We’re all different though, of course.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I'm going to give the fat, slow dad opinion.

1. Everyone goes home in one piece, hopefully unhurt.
2. If that means someone has to slow down on descents and make way for someone coming the other way then so be it.
3. If you can't hack that, then maybe you should go and do MX or triathlon where being a self absorbed douche is ok and expected.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
...and you guys aren't allowed to ride up dh trails anymore. That's kind of important and something I come across a little too often, used to get it a lot at Ourimbah. Remember: those really steep spots you can't ride up? They're usually blind from the top.

Matty_P

Likes Dirt
I'm astounded anyone rides uphill on dedicated downhill (and presumably one way) DH trails?

I'm similarly astounded someone rides dual direction trails and doesn't ride accordingly.

What Oddjob said too ...

Z

Zaf

I think the main rule is to just be courteous, regardless of who gives way. Terrain, sight lines, awareness levels etc all vary from rider to rider and even from day to day. I've had moments where the person riding behind me has seen someone in front of us before I have, and other times when I've spotted someone a epoch before they have seen me.

Whatever you do, don't slow your climbing, while blocking the trail, in front of a single speeder; punching kittens with an audience of children is less offensive.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I'm astounded anyone rides uphill on dedicated downhill (and presumably one way) DH trails?
You mean like a DH race track? Then yes...yes they do. There are also some strava segments for riding up some of the local downward trails (the sort where you have to climb over fallen trees and jumps to get up...). People are strange.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
...and you guys aren't allowed to ride up dh trails anymore. That's kind of important and something I come across a little too often, used to get it a lot at Ourimbah. Remember: those really steep spots you can't ride up? They're usually blind from the top.
Ourimbah is the wild west. I've seen MX bikes ripping up the mtb tracks and trials motorbikes trying to get up the dh track.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk