Riders fear bike ban call- Manly Daily

Derka Derka

Likes Dirt
This is the artical that was in yesterdays Manly daily.

In brief, The national parks association is saying that mountain bikes should be banned from national parks. Local riders are concerned about access to tracks at Bantry bay, oxford falls & other parts of Garigal national park.

You can vote in a pole on "should bikes be banned from national parks?" by going to

www.manlydaily.com.au

Not sure if this is old news or new news, however it is in the news....

Attachments

sponars

Likes Bikes
I don't recall ever seeing comments in response to an article in complete agreement until now.

This guy really has no idea, and is obviously pushing his own agenda without thought for other park users.

Sumgy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Have never understood why it is that NSW NATIONAL Parks are treated differently to those in other states.
NATIONAL Parks in QLD have a bike ban except for on gazetted roads.
If they are NATIONAL Parks then they should all operate under the same rules.

I Highlit National as this should signify that they have Nationwide rules I would suggest.

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When the Royal National Park was established, NSW was considered a 'Nation'. There were even suggestions that the name 'New South Wales' be changed to 'Australia' in the later 19th Century.

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Have never understood why it is that NSW NATIONAL Parks are treated differently to those in other states.
Let see riding in National parks

• QLD - riding allowed on gazzetted roads
  • ACT - Riding allowed on managment trails except in designated wilderness areas
  • NSW - Riding allowed on designated single tracks (where expressly permitted by the POM - not many sure), management trails except in designated wilderness areas (with a few exceptions where riding is allowed)
  • Vic ?
  • SA ?
  • WA ?
  • TAS ?
So so far fairly uniform regulations, perhaps people from the other states can fill in the blanks.

Carlin

Likes Bikes and Dirt
OK I'll be a bit more constructive.

NSW National Parks and Wildlife Service is a State body. So therefore there are potentially different rules to other 'National Parks' in Australia. To argue about this is just semantics.

Cyclists have been banned from walking tracks in NSW (and most other?) National Parks for some time now. There are long debates over the effects of bikes on singletracks, and it is reasonably demonstrated that on a properly built singletrack the erosion caused by a bike rider and a walker are similar. See the IMBA www.imba.com

The shame on the Northern Beaches is the Oxford Falls singletrack where mountain bike riders were permitted by the traditional owners to use the trails. A lot of these tracks on the ridge lines drained well, and held up pretty well to the mountain bike traffic. Then, quietly the area became part of the adjoining National Park, suddently the singletraack became NPWS singletrack and mountain-bikes were therefore banned. It is just that the NPWS let things cool for a while before they enforced this. Hmmm.

Please let me know if I am reading the above situation incorrectly.

Back to the first point. There are individual cases were mountain bikes are permitted on NPWS singletracks, (The OAKS for example) why for the sake of a 'National' rule should this be changed. Similarly if mountain bikes can use these tracks without problems, then surely more singletrack could potentially be opened up to bikes in the future?

Jonny26

Likes Dirt
Reading that article made me want to sign on and hurl abuse at that moron Christine... I would prefer to yell at pubic servants more, or are they self servants?.. always confuses me what they actually do for me other than take a truck load of taxes and provide very shitty infrastructure...
Now I am annoyed, I really enjoy riding manly dam, I hope they do not close it off...

Last edited:

jumpers

Likes Dirt
Just commented for you boys. Like Johnny said jeez hard not to abuse Christine the bushwalker....i didnt but would love too

Derka Derka

Likes Dirt
Christines comments

Reading that article made me want to sign on and hurl abuse and that moron Christine... I would prefer to yell at pubic servants more, or are they self servants?.. always confuses me what they actually do for me other than take a truck load of taxes and provide very shitty infrastructure...
Now I am annoyed, I really enjoy riding manly dam, I hope they do not close it off...
For those of you that missed what Christine said it is classic stuff.....

"I agree with the National Parks Association that mountain bike riders should be banned from National Parks. I am a regular bushwalker and I regularly see the erosion caused by mountain bike riders. I agree that bike riding is an environmentally good thing to do but just not in National Parks. I walk regularly in Garigal National Park and the Manly Dam bush tracks. Constant bike riding in narrow walking tracks cause ridges and furrows on the ground which, during and after heavy rain turns the track into a muddy quaqmire which becomes wider and wider as people endeavour to avoid walking through sometimes almost ankle deep muddy water. A narrow walking track is just not wide enough for a bike rider. There are often signs that the bike riders veer off unavoidably into the bush, also causing damage. Recently, I was walking along Eva’s Track in the Manly Dam catchment with a group of bushwalkers where I had previously walked some months before. The first time, it was a magical narrow bush track with wildflowers; the second time the track had been eroded and native vegetation had been cut and slashed back on either side of the track to make it wider for bike riders. "

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/news/comments/make-it-a-waste-cycle/

Jonny26

Likes Dirt
I read it the first time and re-reading a second time did not change my opinion, I think she is moron.

nrthrnben

Likes Dirt
Replied, hopefully they put everyone’s comments up.

Christines comments on the Eva’s track widening are not even factual, it was done by the water board(or similar) to gain access to some pipes in the area.

Its funny how we don’t mind walkers being on walking tracks, but walkers from NPA cant stand mountain bikers being on any tracks in national parks, dedicated or not.

Have a read of the editorial in the digital edition of the manly daily, very much in our favor

Page 18

nrthrnben

Likes Dirt
Here's the official media release:

http://www.npansw.org.au/web/news/media_release.php?id=352

Might be time to flame Mr Andrew Cox from National Parks Australia:

Contact details:
Andrew Cox on 02 9299 0000 or 0438 588 040
Hey guys there seems to be a few people on a couple of sites getting the wrong idea about this media release.

It is not from NPWS it is from an extreme bushwalking lobby group that has a similar name NPA (national parks association).

Even though this guy is clearly living in the dark ages before sustainable trail building, I think if anyone was to call, it would be better to try and win him over showing how responsible we can be and stating examples all over the world where walkers and bikers can work together. Because getting access to trails would be so much easier for us if everyone worked together. We are willing to, why aren't they?

Jonny26

Likes Dirt
This is their mission statement below.
They highlight "Sustainability should form the basis for all human activities."
This obviously does not include us, which is a shame as we are a part of society and the human race as well..

NPA STRATEGIC PLAN
The following is an extract from our Strategic Plan 2007-2012
MISSION STATEMENT

NPA seeks to protect, connect and restore the integrity and diversity of natural systems in NSW and beyond through national parks, marine sanctuaries and other means.

A 50-YEAR VISION:

NPA is driven by a fifty-year vision that imagines a landscape of intact natural areas covering at least half of the lands and waters of NSW, integrated with viable rural and urban communities that respect and nurture the land.

Natural areas would constitute major swathes of habitat, reconstructed, connected and forming a complex network that provides a viable home for endemic species, human spiritual nourishment and direct benefits such as clean air and water. Sustainability should form the basis for all human activities.

This is a future that is achievable. The legacy of our national parks that we enjoy today proves that NPA can deliver a visionary goal to our future generations.