Riders in Adelaide WTF is wrong with you ? ;)

Rat

Likes Dirt
Went on hols in Adelaide (from TAS) recently, was great, have always liked Adelaide. Was especially good to catch up with old friends and go to Womad and the Fringe stuff etc.

Anyway while there we went riding on some of the great bike paths, and saw all the very much NOT cool local riders.

About 50% of the riders seemed to carry their helmets hanging by the straps on the end of their bars. Why ?

If you don't want to wear a helmet leave it at home, don't ride with it like that as one day it will cause you to fall on your unprotected head. Personally I wear my helmet all the time. We saw young mothers and kids both riding without helmets, nice way to teach the kids.

Other riders we saw rode their bikes with the most unco looking style I have ever witnessed. They had their heels on the pedals and knees flared out really wide, but not because the seat was too low, they just seemed to want to ride like that. OK granted you might ocassionally see a noob ride like that anywhere, but we saw quite a few on just one ride. Perhaps it's due to the fact that they never ride up hills so don't need to learn proper pedaling ?

Or perhaps it's just something in the water ?

This is not an attack on Adelaide, which I think is a great place. Also I'm sure there are plenty who do know how to ride there, just an amazing number who don't :D

Rat

Likes Dirt
dewey14 said:
where abouts did you go riding man??????
Welcome to Farkin' dewey14

Wasn't a "real" MTB ride, maybe that explains things ?

Anyway we went on the scenic bike/walking path from The Entertainment Centre to Henley beach and back. There was some light singletrack running alongside the path for a bit of fun.

We went on this path and not up The Adelaide Hills where I'm sure the real riding is to be had, due to the fact that we hired the bikes.

north_shore

Likes Dirt
Rat said:
Wasn't a "real" MTB ride, maybe that explains things ?
yes that does explain it

Rat said:
Anyway we went on the scenic bike/walking path from The Entertainment Centre to Henley beach and back.
i Highly doubt that you would find anny seriouse riders in adelaide an a foot path. if you came up into the hills most of your problems would not have been so. Altho i do find The helmet on the bars in most parts of adelaide. And most of the people that would have been on that foot path would probably not be found on farkin;)

Ryan Hotdog

Likes Dirt
No wonder RAT, u were riding on a bloody footpath?!!?!? What did u expect, some sort of dedicated and half interested rider? Not even teh roadies ride that. Dude before u have a rant, actually ride somewhere, where the skills of other riders are the type your looking for. its like going to a kids footy clinic and expect to find AFL stars? Not gonna happen is it? next time your here, look up and research the tracks around and you WILL find helmet wearing, non unco pedalling, somewhat stylish riders.

RaID

Likes Bikes and Dirt
there are a lot of hippies in adelaide, that might explain some things

heppy

Likes Dirt
Rat said:
Other riders we saw rode their bikes with the most unco looking style I have ever witnessed. They had their heels on the pedals and knees flared out really wide, but not because the seat was too low, they just seemed to want to ride like that.
that was probably me, would have been good if you gave me some pointers if i really looked that bad. the guys that ride THE BELAIR is where its at. ;)

FR Drew

Not a custom title.
And if you've grown up drinking the water, you can't actually taste it!

Of course if you leave for a year and then come back it's a slightly different story...

How *do* they make beer that good (Coopers) out of water that bad?

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah I ride that path, and the single track when I'm short on time after work.

My knees aren't that bad, I have a lot of power considering.

I'm sure there are more and more riders around lately, probably because petrol is getting expensive, and we're all poor in Adelaide. Of course, not all of them, or even many of them, are going to have good form.

Yes, the water also has a lot to do with it.

Dumbellina

Likes Dirt
FR Drew said:
How *do* they make beer that good (Coopers) out of water that bad?
Easy, it's made from Adelaide people's piss. And Adelaide people's water is everyone west of the dividing range's piss. So they make piss from bogan piss, and whose piss comes from the water that is made from everyone else's piss. Pissed off yet!

Pete J

loves his dog
Dumbellina said:
Easy, it's made from Adelaide people's piss. And Adelaide people's water is everyone west of the dividing range's piss. So they make piss from bogan piss, and whose piss comes from the water that is made from everyone else's piss. Pissed off yet!
That's pisstastic!!! :p

p.s. just found a few places where i can get Coopers here and am very happy indeed!