Riding in Asia

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
So I'm in Asia at the moment & trying to drag the bike around & ride in several different spots.

In Thailand right now & went for a spin this morning. Came around a corner at speed only to come across this guy just off the trail. He didn't initially pay much attention but started to take an interest as I was taking the pic. No fences, no tether. I got moving.

If I come across anything else interesting maybe I'll post some more.

kooga

Likes Bikes
That is cool. I just got back from Malaysia and there seemed to be quite a few tracks there as well, including one very close to KL. Unfortunatly, i never had any encounters like yours, but there were plenty of large lizards, monkeys swinging in the trees and some cool birds.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I haven't ridden in Malaysia yet but will soon no doubt. If you have any pointers, particularly southern peninsula Malaysia, do let me know.

I'm based in Singapore, so I ride with monkeys every time. There are plenty of monitor lizards & other critters, even a tortoise once (I guess it really was too wet to ride that day). Only 3 snakes so far, no pics but looked like these ... http://www.ecologyasia.com/verts/snakes/equatorial_spitting_cobra.htm

Will be in Hong Kong next week, if I can work out how to get there with a bike bag & 2 kids I might have something to add. I'm sure I will get over to Borneo soon & I'd like to have a crack at Mt Kinabalu.

Last edited:

sabs

Cannon Fodder
Riding in KL

There is a very strong mtb scene in KL. Bukit Kiara is the place to ride. Also check out the KLMBH website for their monthly Hash rides. Another great experience.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks Sabs. I haven't been to KL for years, really fun town, can't wait to get back there.

Hadn't thought of it but will bring the bike.

ckooi

Squid
yea lots of nice flowy trails at KL Kiara trail, there are some nice bigge rmountain riding at North of Malaysia. Penang Hill had got very challenging single trail DH, steep and very technical.

g-fish

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Planning on doing a big tour this summer across south east asia from Rangoon to Ho Chi Min city via the southern Thailand crossing onto Bangkok then either Vietnam via Cambodia and Laos or tracing the Cambodian coast.

Would love to hear if there was some mtbing along the way, won't have the most appropriate bike, but that just makes it more fun.

Hong Kong has a thriving MTB scene from what I've heard, big mountains all around the city.

Machine

Likes Bikes
HK is awesome for MTBiking, ride there everytime i'm over in Macau for work. I normally book with a tour guide never disappointed.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was in HK a few weeks back & was planning on bringing my bike over, however my mrs had to go a few days earlier, so I was travelling with 2 kids unsupported. Those evoc bags are awesome once you are at an airport but a complete PITA to get to & from one, especially with young kids in tow.

There are lots of guys on the trails here who work out of SG & HK so I asked around a bit. This place came highly recommended, http://www.mtbhk.com/mtb_hk/mtb_bike_shed.html, as far as tours go. They'll even rent you a Bronson.

sane

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Planning on doing a big tour this summer across south east asia from Rangoon to Ho Chi Min city via the southern Thailand crossing onto Bangkok then either Vietnam via Cambodia and Laos or tracing the Cambodian coast.

Would love to hear if there was some mtbing along the way, won't have the most appropriate bike, but that just makes it more fun.

Hong Kong has a thriving MTB scene from what I've heard, big mountains all around the city.
Love to hear more about this trip, sounds big.

There is definitely some trails in northern Thailand near Chiangmai, might be more DH oriented though. I'll ask around, all the local guys here travel to Malaysia, Thailand & Indonesia to ride fairly regularly by the sound of it.

I traveled from Northern Thailand to Cambodia via Poipet years ago & the journey required an armed henchman in the ute with us to allow safe passage, it was a long time ago, but I don't think I'd be riding that way. The southern coastline has some great islands & you can catch a small boat across the border in to Sihanoukville in Cambodia.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Had some visitors at the trailhead after this morning's ride. Monkeys seem quite comfortable with 26" bikes still.

Hi Sane,

Cool, here is my shot at exactly the same place in the Burkit Timah carpark.
That monkey was the king as far as he was concerned.