riding in Blue Mountains

Ryan H

Likes Dirt
This post is probably in the wrong section but oh well...

Can someone please tell me where some good mountain biking spots are at the blue Mountains. I do sort of all-mountain riding which isn't really a type of riding but i don't do anything particular like DH or XC. I have a house in Meadlow Bath and apparently there is a good track starting at Mt Victoria going to Lithgow.

Tristan23

Farkin guerilla
I rode the Woodford to Glenbrook track a few weeks back with a couple of guys. It's 28k's long, a majority of which is fire road with ups and downs (some great fast downs), and then a few k's of quick singletrack at the end before about a kilometer of more rocky, technical (but not too steep) downhill. Definitely a fun day out, although the track can be ridden in a couple of hours quite easily.

We caught the train to Woodford Station, and the start of the track is about a 5 minute ride from there. I suggest typing it in to Google and seeing what you come up with, because it's a definitely worth riding if you like AM.

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This post is probably in the wrong section but oh well...

Can someone please tell me where some good mountain biking spots are at the blue Mountains. I do sort of all-mountain riding which isn't really a type of riding but i don't do anything particular like DH or XC. I have a house in Meadlow Bath and apparently there is a good track starting at Mt Victoria going to Lithgow.
In the watering hole there are two threads to do with rides in the Blue Mountains... the "Physco Night" riders and the "Turgid" thread. There are usually quite a lot of rides going on each week and people to hook up with.

The ride you are thinking of seems to be the Mt York rides... it is very good.

http://www.trailflix.com.au/tfx_new/trails.php?id=mtyork

For other rides in the area check out trailflix or latch onto one of the watering hole rides to go to some other places as well.

droctagon

Likes Dirt
glenbrook

after doing the woodford to glenbrook, you can check out the trails down behind the oval at glenbrook-some old dirtjumps, couple of trails and a huge gap jump.If your into that thing its something else to check out if your in the local area.

Ryan H

Likes Dirt
Thats a pretty good website aswell. Is the Woodford to Glenbrook that good if it is mostly fire trail?

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC
There are also various trails down below the Hydro.

The Sun bath trail use to be good but I haven't ridden it for years.

Handing Rock at Blackheath is a good ride on mostly fun fire trail. Follow the rail access road to Blackheath and follow Ridgewell Rd out to Baltza Lookout and back.

Narrowneck Rd at Katoomba is also a good one.

DW-1

Dirt Works
Thats a pretty good website aswell. Is the Woodford to Glenbrook that good if it is mostly fire trail?
hmmmmm... well it's not technical or exciting riding (until the singletrack at the very end)...

But it's enjoyable in it's own way. Great views from the tops of the hills for example.

A lot of endurance rioders use it as a training loop.

Park at Glenbrook, ride up the Oaks, then pop out at Woodford and ride down to Bedford creek, then take the RH option at the creek and ride up the Ingar fire trail, then down tablelands road and onto Andersons firetrail. Down Andersons to Bedford creek again and then a hellish climb out to Woodford, and back down the Oaks to Glenbrook.

Just over 100klm all up.

Elvis.

UncleFeet

Likes Dirt
Check out Hat Hill Rd in Blackheath, Mt Hay Rd at Leura. Both head out over the Grose Valley and have heaps of nifty side tracks to find...half the fun...

I also agree with thecat, Hanging Rock at the end of Ridgewell Rd in Blackheath is a good ride...just make sure you stop at the end...

...Just don't trash the NP...eh...

Ryan H

Likes Dirt
There are also various trails down below the Hydro.

The Sun bath trail use to be good but I haven't ridden it for years.
Are they proper mtb tracks or walking tracks? Not that i care i just want to to know if they're 'no bike' zones.

BTW i did the Mt. York ride today. Really good but i struggled on the uphills even though theres hardly any. Shows how unfit i am...

halfspine

Cannon Fodder
Hate to dig graves up. But do you still ride Ryan?
I've just gotten back on the bike and I'm living part time in medlow.
But I know absolutely no body. Let alone anybody with a bike lol
Hit me with a pm if you like. I'm into dh, but up for anything.

mrptl

Likes Bikes
Good website to start also is http://nobmob.com/rides/bluemountains

Woodford to Glenbrook is called The Oaks, perhaps one of the most popular ride around Sydney – but there is better around. Ride beside Glenbrook oval is called Knapsack Reserve, very nice one. Did Mt York once, nice pub in the middle of ride, and then hardcore uphill… but I think we did it the wrong way.

Last edited:

Big Chuck

Likes Dirt
Try these guys at Lithgow for DH riding. http://ctmbc.net/

Or BMORC for some DH and XC riding in the Mountains. http://bmorc.com/

Be happy to ride Knapsack XC with you and show you where the DH track. Might be able to introduce you to some of the DH guys too.

PM for more info.