Riding in Europe

Jpez

Down on the left!
So I’m lucky enough to be heading to Italy in the middle of September to carry the bosses bags for a conference she’s presenting at near Nice. She has given me a leave pass to go riding wherever I want for several days as she and the spawn will come along and do other stuff. We are also going to head to France while we are there.
Initially Morzine and Les Gets was the plan but their season ends a couple days before we arrive on the 16th. The big mountains of the Alps is a no brainer obviously. Makes Buller look like an anemic ant hill.
So I’m looking further south where the riding season lasts longer.
I’ll be hiring a bike so from Rome or Nice we can fly, drive, or train it pretty much anywhere. A couple of locations that have caught my eye as the Alps are no go are Val Nord in Andorra and possibly Madeira.
Madeira floats my boat as footage and shots from the Trans Madeiras look wild.
Except for watching the DH races in Europe I know nothing about the place.
So has anyone ridden over there or have any suggestions for locations that are rideable from The 16/17th of September?
Only prerequisite is it also needs to be somewhere the family can enjoy while I’m riding.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Aside from a touring bike I haven't ridden in Europe but Finale Legure is a spot that has caught my attention when seeing snippets of the EWS, might be a good spot for a holiday for the whole family with some world class riding at the same time. It is on the coast so you won't get the same views as the Alps but the flipside is the weather will be more stable (I assume) and finishing a day riding with a dip in the ocean is always good. Still plenty of elevation and awesome trails from what I can see.

gippyz

Likes Dirt
You are a hell of a lucky man sir! I miss those days where I went to conferences to present then shuttled out of town as soon as it finishes for some rad overseas riding!
Trans madeira is on 19-23 September. Perhaps the best way to sample the trails around without having to worry about which way do I go, which trail do I ride, etc. Don't have to race it I guess, just make sure you finish? Link here: https://trans-madeira.com/

Jpez

Down on the left!
Aside from a touring bike I haven't ridden in Europe but Finale Legure is a spot that has caught my attention when seeing snippets of the EWS, might be a good spot for a holiday for the whole family with some world class riding at the same time. It is on the coast so you won't get the same views as the Alps but the flipside is the weather will be more stable (I assume) and finishing a day riding with a dip in the ocean is always good. Still plenty of elevation and awesome trails from what I can see.
Yeah I did think of Finale but being in that part of the world the big mountain bucket list experience is the big draw card for me. But I will certainly revisit Finale as an option.
You are a hell of a lucky man sir! I miss those days where I went to conferences to present then shuttled out of town as soon as it finishes for some rad overseas riding!
Trans madeira is on 19-23 September. Perhaps the best way to sample the trails around without having to worry about which way do I go, which trail do I ride, etc. Don't have to race it I guess, just make sure you finish? Link here: https://trans-madeira.com/
Holy moly! I did not know that. Since I missed out on the last Trans NZ due to injury that would be phenomenal! I’d just have to make sure it doesn’t clash with the conference and my child minding trade off!

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
One of the perks of the private sector. Best I can swing is a day to kill on the roadie and some early morning rides before work... But a great jet lag killer!

boyracer

Likes Dirt
There a lad on here that lives/ lived in Andorra. Remember speaking to him about the move there for riding when buying something off him. Don't remember his name at present though...

gippyz

Likes Dirt
One of the perks of the private sector. Best I can swing is a day to kill on the roadie and some early morning rides before work... But a great jet lag killer!
Ha I used to chuck in few days of annual leave post conferences to ride/travel. I thought why not, and the boss didn't mind.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Ha I used to chuck in few days of annual leave post conferences to ride/travel. I thought why not, and the boss didn't mind.
Nice. If I was a politician I could do that, but as a public servant that’s not allowed. I even have to squeeze the rules a bit to get just one day before starting work to get my head out of jet lag a bit… And am straight back on the plane afterwards.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
So Trans Madeira is looking good.

This holiday writes itself and even has a theme song already written!

Just avoid most of the Kingston trio's advice about holidaying in the Caribbean, central, and south America. They always seem to end up in gaol or stranded without any money.

Jpez

Down on the left!
This holiday writes itself and even has a theme song already written!

Just avoid most of the Kingston trio's advice about holidaying in the Caribbean, central, and south America. They always seem to end up in gaol or stranded without any money.
My days of finding myself in really dumb situations in Honduras and Mexico are long behind me. I could probably share a few stories with the Kingston trio myself.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That was several years ago pre covid but saw a recent GMBN video from there and looks like the trails still get some decent love

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
My days of finding myself in really dumb situations in Honduras and Mexico are long behind me. I could probably share a few stories with the Kingston trio myself.

Apparently you should stay away from the Barbados rum.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I can't help but feel like this "Riding in eRoupe" thread might belong in the eBike section... You trying to butter us up for a subtle euro-eMTB test week @Jpez? Knowing your love of raw alloy bikes, I'm guessing a Pole Voima EMTB... :p

1683334866680.png

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
So Trans Madeira is looking good. Missus has rubber stamped it. Just need to work out logistics as it will be tight timing wise.
Options still open for mainland Europe though.
What a golden opportunity, that would be a sick event to tick off the list. Something to keep in mind is that most travel insurance won't cover you or your bike if you're "competing" in an event.