Riding in Europe

Jpez

Down on the left!
What a golden opportunity, that would be a sick event to tick off the list. Something to keep in mind is that most travel insurance won't cover you or your bike if you're "competing" in an event.
Amazing opportunity! Just hope I’m up to the challenge! The numbers are approx 900-1000 climbing and 2800 descending per day and 220km over the 5 days. As far as insurance goes I’d use the same mob recommended to me for the trans Tas but my missus has paid for top tier insurance for her, us and 7 staff so I’ll check the details but I’m sure it’ll cover just about anything.
I was working for Ozaid in Cambodia and got knocked off my dirt bike on the highway under their top level insurance. They didn’t even care if I had a license or helmet. Ended up costing them 75k to fly me back and forward to BKK for surgeries, Physio and after care.
I certainly didn’t tell ‘em I was only wearing flip flops, shorts and a tee when I hit a tree at 70km. So I think the top tier insurances cover the lot. But thanks for the tip. I’ll check into it.

downunderdallas

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Tuscany is actually where the conference is so thanks for that. Looks good but I’ve probably only got one chance to ride so it needs to be bucket list material.
I only had one day on a family trip so that was my best option - it's not a bucket list destination just some decent trails and good hire bikes/shuttles.

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Amazing opportunity! Just hope I’m up to the challenge! The numbers are approx 900-1000 climbing and 2800 descending per day and 220km over the 5 days. As far as insurance goes I’d use the same mob recommended to me for the trans Tas but my missus has paid for top tier insurance for her, us and 7 staff so I’ll check the details but I’m sure it’ll cover just about anything.
I was working for Ozaid in Cambodia and got knocked off my dirt bike on the highway under their top level insurance. They didn’t even care if I had a license or helmet. Ended up costing them 75k to fly me back and forward to BKK for surgeries, Physio and after care.
I certainly didn’t tell ‘em I was only wearing flip flops, shorts and a tee when I hit a tree at 70km. So I think the top tier insurances cover the lot. But thanks for the tip. I’ll check into it.
It's surprising how many people don't even consider it until they're faced with the bill for their medical costs but sounds like you're all over it. I'm not even the slightest bit jealous.

Smiker

Likes Dirt
There would be plenty to explore up behind Nice, but it won't be the truly alpine big mountain experience - just less likely to get shat on by weather changes though. Same with Finale.

In terms of ticking the box of things to do, I'd check out Verbier. I believe it's still open then. The town and surrounds should fulfill most family duties, and there are plenty of well-marked trails. Jump trails, moderate trails, and some wild trails that aren;t on the bike park map (ask one of the guides, perhaps to a day of guided riding with one first.) Just about any trail in Switzerland is open to ride, if you can ride it.

I raced out of there once high posting on an XC bike, riding inside the avalanche fence on the descent into the valley - but most of it was really, really exposed. There's a lot more trails there than you'd think at a glance, and it's pretty well connected to other locations - once you're in the Alps anyway. It is more expensive, but I've stayed there for about $70/night with breakfast and an amazing mountain view, so if you look around there can be good options. I'd say the same thing about Zermatt as a place to visit, but there's nostand out value places up there. The setting is sublime,but the trains do cost a kidney or three for the uplift. It's not really a multiple runs sort of place. But if big mountains are the desire...

safreek

Lucky you had a helmet on, I hear fuckwits ride without them :D

Jpez

Down on the left!
There would be plenty to explore up behind Nice, but it won't be the truly alpine big mountain experience - just less likely to get shat on by weather changes though. Same with Finale.

In terms of ticking the box of things to do, I'd check out Verbier. I believe it's still open then. The town and surrounds should fulfill most family duties, and there are plenty of well-marked trails. Jump trails, moderate trails, and some wild trails that aren;t on the bike park map (ask one of the guides, perhaps to a day of guided riding with one first.) Just about any trail in Switzerland is open to ride, if you can ride it.

I raced out of there once high posting on an XC bike, riding inside the avalanche fence on the descent into the valley - but most of it was really, really exposed. There's a lot more trails there than you'd think at a glance, and it's pretty well connected to other locations - once you're in the Alps anyway. It is more expensive, but I've stayed there for about $70/night with breakfast and an amazing mountain view, so if you look around there can be good options. I'd say the same thing about Zermatt as a place to visit, but there's nostand out value places up there. The setting is sublime,but the trains do cost a kidney or three for the uplift. It's not really a multiple runs sort of place. But if big mountains are the desire...
Awesome info thanks!
unfortunately the riding season for the alps finishes just as we get there so will have to be somewhere further south. Trans Madeira was sold out so it’s looking like Andorra might be the go but will definitely check out your info! Thanks.

Smiker

Likes Dirt
Really? I've visited Zermatt and Verbier in mid September before, so you must just be missing it by days! Bugger. Plenty of other places to go though. I'm a Swiss fan I guess, but if you're happy to not be in a bike park. most trails are also accessible by bus. They have bike racks and go over big passes. Not as easy for bumping in and out for a few days like a park - but this skirts season dates easily.

I'm doing a bikepacking east to west trip on Route 1 in late August. It's sooo easy to check out the route online. This isn't a technical route, I'm doing it more for the experience and maybe adding a few known trails that I have ridden or seen before if the weather suits. But the Swiss Mobility site and app can give you some ideas - these are just the marked national routes (signposted) but like I said, any trail is open to bikes unless there is a no bikes sign, which are rare. I'd do some googling on the Swiss MTB sites as well.

You can click on the routes, and then see photos from the route, and at what location. And the map detail is incredible. It shows everything down to individual buildings. It's europe, so you'll always have roads, forest road, trail and vice versa in and out of villages. But I think it's cool doing a descent from an alpine plateau to a village on a trail that has just been THE trail for a few hundred years.

Just my take anyway.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Really? I've visited Zermatt and Verbier in mid September before, so you must just be missing it by days! Bugger. Plenty of other places to go though. I'm a Swiss fan I guess, but if you're happy to not be in a bike park. most trails are also accessible by bus. They have bike racks and go over big passes. Not as easy for bumping in and out for a few days like a park - but this skirts season dates easily.

I'm doing a bikepacking east to west trip on Route 1 in late August. It's sooo easy to check out the route online. This isn't a technical route, I'm doing it more for the experience and maybe adding a few known trails that I have ridden or seen before if the weather suits. But the Swiss Mobility site and app can give you some ideas - these are just the marked national routes (signposted) but like I said, any trail is open to bikes unless there is a no bikes sign, which are rare. I'd do some googling on the Swiss MTB sites as well.

You can click on the routes, and then see photos from the route, and at what location. And the map detail is incredible. It shows everything down to individual buildings. It's europe, so you'll always have roads, forest road, trail and vice versa in and out of villages. But I think it's cool doing a descent from an alpine plateau to a village on a trail that has just been THE trail for a few hundred years.

Just my take anyway.
Sorry I missed this! Thanks for the great info!

Yep Morzine for example closes 1 day after I arrive in Rome. I won’t have my own bike nor the time to go exploring so it needs to be a bike park set up with bike hire etc.
The missus really wants to go to Barcelona so I’ve decided to spend a few days in Andorra.
Maybe a day or two doing some guided riding and a day or two on a DH bike doing uplifts at Valnord.

Jpez

Down on the left!
@Smiker from your recommendation after much family deliberation it’s been decided that Verbier in the Swiss alps is the go. It’s open till October and has the big mountain experience I’m looking for, 2000m descents on insane looking trails, mind blowing scenery, heaps of guided riding, absolutely perfect. Missus loves it and it’s geographically closer to where we are based so happy days. Thanks for the input.
If you’ve got any specific advice for Verbier or that area in general would love to hear it.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
@Smiker from your recommendation after much family deliberation it’s been decided that Verbier in the Swiss alps is the go. It’s open till October and has the big mountain experience I’m looking for, 2000m descents on insane looking trails, mind blowing scenery, heaps of guided riding, absolutely perfect. Missus loves it and it’s geographically closer to where we are based so happy days. Thanks for the input.
If you’ve got any specific advice for Verbier or that area in general would love to hear it.
You get most of the internet points for this. Only slightly jealous :)

LPG

likes thicc birds
That looks awesome, definitely the big mountain riding we don't have here.

Smiker

Likes Dirt
The video captures i pretty well. You can totally stick in the park. That video starts at the main lift station and the first trail Ludo heads down is super fun. There is another lift higher up that does a weird flow trail that is mostly board walk above a boulder field. So the penalty for failture is really high (like, broken femur?). Also - DM Ludo on IG. He's very approachable and super nice.

So you could totally do a park day but just email the Verbier bike park about guides. Brice guidedmy wife and I in 2014, and I saw him there the next year when I was there for a stage race, andhe was still working there when I was there in 2017 for a bike launch. They have a number of guides, and remember being a Swiss/French bike guide isn't just a title you give yourself - it's a legit accreditation. These guys are impressive. https://verbierbikeschool.ch/bikeschool_guiding_fr.php

In terms of off tap descents - if you see that rocky prominence in the backgroun at the start of the video, apparently there's a pretty nuts trail thatd rops in from there, all the way to the valley floor. So approx 2000m or so. They so only a handful of people have cleaned it.

I've stayed at the W hotel (work gig), Chalet de Flor (prize accom from something my wife won) and a few other cheaper places. It depends on your budget but I find 3 star Swiss accom is pretty fancy and 2 star is just fine. But I'm also happy sleeping in my car if it makes a trip happen.

Jpez

Down on the left!
The video captures i pretty well. You can totally stick in the park. That video starts at the main lift station and the first trail Ludo heads down is super fun. There is another lift higher up that does a weird flow trail that is mostly board walk above a boulder field. So the penalty for failture is really high (like, broken femur?). Also - DM Ludo on IG. He's very approachable and super nice.

So you could totally do a park day but just email the Verbier bike park about guides. Brice guidedmy wife and I in 2014, and I saw him there the next year when I was there for a stage race, andhe was still working there when I was there in 2017 for a bike launch. They have a number of guides, and remember being a Swiss/French bike guide isn't just a title you give yourself - it's a legit accreditation. These guys are impressive. https://verbierbikeschool.ch/bikeschool_guiding_fr.php

In terms of off tap descents - if you see that rocky prominence in the backgroun at the start of the video, apparently there's a pretty nuts trail thatd rops in from there, all the way to the valley floor. So approx 2000m or so. They so only a handful of people have cleaned it.

I've stayed at the W hotel (work gig), Chalet de Flor (prize accom from something my wife won) and a few other cheaper places. It depends on your budget but I find 3 star Swiss accom is pretty fancy and 2 star is just fine. But I'm also happy sleeping in my car if it makes a trip happen.
Awesome! Thanks for the great info!

Jpez

Down on the left!

Just my take anyway.
So @Smiker your recommendation of Verbier blew my puny little head clean off. I was lucky as I got there the day before they stopped all the lifts to the very very top for the season. About 3 in total above the bike park level. I think that made it an 5 lift ride from the valley floor to the highest point. The last being a tiny old rickety on person only car that lasted for about 15min.
After that it was just the 1 for the bike park but still a lot of access to high ups if willing to traverse and climb lucky I don’t at all mind a pedal.
The mix of stunningly built bike park with beautifully crafted flow trails to stupid steep and janky DH stuff was incredible in itself but up into the natural high up exposed trails next to the glacier all the way way down to the valley floor through hundreds years old villages was an experience I’ll never forget. Did it a couple of times from different routes. Couple thousand meters descending each time.
Jackass was also an experience after it had rained the previous day and night! I’m pretty sure I felt terror trying negotiate some of those tight switchbacks. Got better at it though although my my nose endo game needs work! Especially with a sheer cliff only feet to one side.
One thing I noticed in the park. Trail crews were everywhere. Also the trails were so well maintained and built there were almost zero braking bumps.
So I rode a bit of park but for me the natural trails and descending were the star of the show for me. I rode the red trails which I’d say equal a very dark black in Oz, poked my nose down some blacks but I think a full face would be essential at least and I didn’t have permission to get injured. So left those.
The yellow ‘race’ track was insane. Watching some of the pros hit the rock gardens at speed was a sight to behold. Sections were also near vertical.

I’m in Prato atm where my missus’s conference is. There are millionsof trails in the hills above and even a small DH park of sorts but couldn’t organise any of the shops or even the local ‘PratoFreeride’ FB page to help me out with any hire bikes or guides.

Anyway heading to Nice soon and I’ve been given a days leave pass. Do you or anyone else have recommendations for that region?

If anyone’s interested I’ll update this thread with some photos at trips end. Problem is I only took photos on the gondola or trails end. Too busy riding to stop and take shots. Got a few ok ones though.

I got a couple of shirts for @Mattyp and @frenchman but I left em on the train accidentally as I was still spellbound after staring in wonder at the Fondue and Racklett cheese vending machine! Ridiculously civilised.
857B3040-E46B-40F2-9FEF-4D85DB4C6BB4.jpeg
B19679AF-59CE-4B91-9F46-D8E9029202F4.jpeg

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
So @Smiker your recommendation of Verbier blew my puny little head clean off. I was lucky as I got there the day before they stopped all the lifts to the very very top for the season. About 3 in total above the bike park level. I think that made it an 5 lift ride from the valley floor to the highest point. The last being a tiny old rickety on person only car that lasted for about 15min.
After that it was just the 1 for the bike park but still a lot of access to high ups if willing to traverse and climb lucky I don’t at all mind a pedal.
The mix of stunningly built bike park with beautifully crafted flow trails to stupid steep and janky DH stuff was incredible in itself but up into the natural high up exposed trails next to the glacier all the way way down to the valley floor through hundreds years old villages was an experience I’ll never forget. Did it a couple of times from different routes. Couple thousand meters descending each time.
Jackass was also an experience after it had rained the previous day and night! I’m pretty sure I felt terror trying negotiate some of those tight switchbacks. Got better at it though although my my nose endo game needs work! Especially with a sheer cliff only feet to one side.
One thing I noticed in the park. Trail crews were everywhere. Also the trails were so well maintained and built there were almost zero braking bumps.
So I rode a bit of park but for me the natural trails and descending were the star of the show for me. I rode the red trails which I’d say equal a very dark black in Oz, poked my nose down some blacks but I think a full face would be essential at least and I didn’t have permission to get injured. So left those.
The yellow ‘race’ track was insane. Watching some of the pros hit the rock gardens at speed was a sight to behold. Sections were also near vertical.

I’m in Prato atm where my missus’s conference is. There are millionsof trails in the hills above and even a small DH park of sorts but couldn’t organise any of the shops or even the local ‘PratoFreeride’ FB page to help me out with any hire bikes or guides.

Anyway heading to Nice soon and I’ve been given a days leave pass. Do you or anyone else have recommendations for that region?

If anyone’s interested I’ll update this thread with some photos at trips end. Problem is I only took photos on the gondola or trails end. Too busy riding to stop and take shots. Got a few ok ones though.

I got a couple of shirts for @Mattyp and @frenchman but I left em on the train accidentally as I was still spellbound after staring in wonder at the Fondue and Racklett cheese vending machine! Ridiculously civilised.View attachment 402975View attachment 402973
If you're wondering if my "Love" emoji reaction is for the sound of those trails or the cheese vending machine - the answer is yes. ;)

Mattyp

Cows go boing
So @Smiker.

I got a couple of shirts for @Mattyp and @frenchman but I left em on the train accidentally as I was still spellbound after staring in wonder at the Fondue and Racklett cheese vending machine! Ridiculously civilised.
I thought you were on Holidays? Not on a fully funded charter ride which forces you to ride when they want rain hail or shine.
Souvenirs are okay in my book, shame you left them on the train.

Jpez

Down on the left!
I thought you were on Holidays? Not on a fully funded charter ride which forces you to ride when they want rain hail or shine.
Souvenirs are okay in my book, shame you left them on the train.
Charter ride? NFI what you mean mate.