Riding in regional/country NSW

maxpowers

Likes Bikes
If you guys are camping I'd def be heading north.... Last time I was in Canberra it was sub zero every night and there was a couple of days at Stromlo with a bit of wind where even with a full face and jumper I felt naked the whole time... haha :)
Hi Nofear,

I would agree with Number5 here. Go north which is a little warmer and better roads as well. I guess this would be my trail list.

Ourimbah and Awaba to warm up
James Estate
Dungog Common
Glenrock - a spot of surfing in Newcastle
Kiwarrak State Forest - must ride, awesome network of single track
Coffs Harbour

North coast would have a few more caravan parks which nearly have all camping sites or cabins.

Anyone think of any others?

Dan.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi Nofear,

I would agree with Number5 here. Go north which is a little warmer and better roads as well. I guess this would be my trail list.

James Estate
Dungog Common
Coffs Harbour

North coast would have a few more caravan parks which nearly have all camping sites or cabins.

Dan.
Add Jacks Ridge @ nambucca to the list.

Happy to show you around James Estate too

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Hi Nofear,

James Estate
Dungog Common
Coffs Harbour

Dan.
Out of that I would ad jolly nose/ Bonny hills - I would rate that trail network above all of them, certainly the equal of kiwarrak. Locals might want to keep it a secret though.....

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Don't assume it's warm as far north as Coffs, mid winter (now....), it's down to 1 in places.

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Well, in tamworth this morning for work -2 FUck me it's cold - seat warmers FTW. Riding in zero is not fun

One of the advantages of taree and Bonny hills is the locals are great and a little effort on Facebook will get you someone to show you round -

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well, in tamworth this morning for work -2 FUck me it's cold - seat warmers FTW. Riding in zero is not fun

One of the advantages of taree and Bonny hills is the locals are great and a little effort on Facebook will get you someone to show you round -
Yep.. Cold enough here in Muswellbrook this morning.. deluxe frost = bike stays in the shed

explodinglamas

Likes Bikes
Kinross state forest near Orange is pretty good, though make sure you have a map as none of it is signposted. Bathurst MTB Park is currently under construction but there's 4.8km of trail there that's rideable. Rydal is good for an XC ride, and Lithgow is good for DH and some other trails over the mountains.

GeurieMTB

Likes Dirt
Go West young man!

Havent spotted anything here about heading West yet

16 degrees here in Dubbo today, sunny skies and tacky trails! Canberra 11 and cloudy

Itinerary from Sydney

Blue Mountains
Zig Zag (8? +dh)
Lithgow (? +dh)
Rydal (5)

Bathurst-Orange or Mudgee
Bathurst (5k) Kinross (15+k) or the Mudgee Common (10ish)

Geurie/Dubbo
Geurie Bald Hill (10k)/Quarry (5k next door)/Oaks (10k 2 km away from Bald Hill)/Homestead (6k across the road)/Mugga Hill (4.5 k on the edge of Dubbo)

return via either Mudgee or Orange (whichever you missed first time round)

Enjoy

NoFearNick7

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi all,

Sorry about the delay in responding; just bought my first property and had no idea how much work was involved!

Regarding all the advice to go up North instead, as much as I dread and hate the cold I'll be camping out and racing in 3 Ring Circus down in Wingello State Forest at the end of this month so I figured I'd be better off now getting used to riding in this weather. I might have to make some modifications to my tent to make it more wind and chill proof prior to the race however...

I've decided to do a day trip down to Welby (have ridden there before, love it) and Wingello just to sus out the race track, possibly this Sunday.

The following Sunday and Monday 20/21 July (maybe even Tuesday), my mate and I will drive down to and ride around Canberra (Sparrow Hill, Kowen [what's available of it anyway] and Stromlo). We'll be staying at backpackers hostels (any recommendations?) rather than camping as I don't fancy camping in -5C.

I would do Welby on the way. If you are coming from Sydney you will drive pass Welby to get to Wingello, hence the next day you will be going back to Welby ie heading back towards Sydney. If you do Welby first there would be no back tracking. I guess if your going to do the full 50km of the circus though it might be a big day if you follow Wingello up with Kowen.

Three ring Circus track is open - however the yellow (last loop) is not technically marked out. There is a yellow loop in the forest but it is not the same as the punishing hilly fire road 'race' yellow loop.
There has also been some new single track built into the red loop but I rode a week ago and it is not yet sign posted. The red loop is the only loop with single track in it.
As far as I am aware fires are allowed in the forrest, if they arent plenty of people have them going in winter whilst they camp.

Welby is now far better sign posted than it originally was, so its not to hard.

When are you thinking of heading off? I have weekend sport atm which is a killer but do do a late arvo run at Welby once a week...
You sound like you know a lot about the course, we probably won't bother with the blue ring as I believe it's only firetrail. We'll definitely do what is available of the red loop and then I guess the non-race yellow loop (do you have any idea the length of the section as it currently is marked?).

If you're available this Sunday, we'd love to have a guide and I'd happily compensate your time with a 6 pack.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hi all,

Sorry about the delay in responding; just bought my first property and had no idea how much work was involved!

Regarding all the advice to go up North instead, as much as I dread and hate the cold I'll be camping out and racing in 3 Ring Circus down in Wingello State Forest at the end of this month so I figured I'd be better off now getting used to riding in this weather. I might have to make some modifications to my tent to make it more wind and chill proof prior to the race however...

I've decided to do a day trip down to Welby (have ridden there before, love it) and Wingello just to sus out the race track, possibly this Sunday.

The following Sunday and Monday 20/21 July (maybe even Tuesday), my mate and I will drive down to and ride around Canberra (Sparrow Hill, Kowen [what's available of it anyway] and Stromlo). We'll be staying at backpackers hostels (any recommendations?) rather than camping as I don't fancy camping in -5C.

You sound like you know a lot about the course, we probably won't bother with the blue ring as I believe it's only firetrail. We'll definitely do what is available of the red loop and then I guess the non-race yellow loop (do you have any idea the length of the section as it currently is marked?).

If you're available this Sunday, we'd love to have a guide and I'd happily compensate your time with a 6 pack.
Hey Mate Unfortunately no good for Sunday. FYI the beer offer was nice but i'd never take beer for riding would of happily just done it....

I think the yellow loop is about 17km - there is no single track on it at all either.

FWIW I may have been an anchor for you. I am racing the circus this year as well but i will struggle to break 3hr 30min with the amount of riding I have been doing... Bundanoon (15 minutes from Wingello) has a YHA btw if you want to get an early start on Sunday....

Binaural

Eats Squid
Rise from your grave, thread!

I am heading to a town called Tumut for the long weekend to visit family, and I'm torn between taking the road bike or the mountain bike. As far as I can see there's only one mountain bike trail near town where they hold races, but the countryside around there is beautiful too. Has anyone ridden either there and could give me some suggestions?

Binaural

Eats Squid
Well, no replies so I'll give a quick review instead. I decided to take the MBT and hit the Tumut trails that are located on the edge of town. I rode all the loops and combinations, including the misnamed "advanced" loop that ran up the hillside. Overall the trails are pretty flat and well constructed, but a bit short on challenging technical sections. Where this track becomes fun is when you try to link up sections as fast as possible - there are a lot of awkward corners which you have to hit just right to maintain your speed. You have to control your body to get maximum grip around the gravelly corners. Hit it right and it feels great.

I would have appreciated a longer trail, as the loops were quite short. Some of the best country trails I rode in the UK such as Cannock Chase or Coed e Brenin (Wales) had a loop time of an hour or more - the lack of repetition on any given ride helps keep you coming back and really shows off the extra space available in country areas.