Riding in the Hunter

trailworx

Likes Bikes
Hi to the Hunter Valley crew
I've got a few months work for a contractor in a mine in the Hunter, I'll be staying in Cessnock.
Just wondering is it worth bringing a bike down on the plane?
It looks like there is heaps of riding nearby, would love to ride Awaba.
Are trails close enough to Cessnock to make a ride viable after work?

Thanks
Pete

timt1566

Likes Bikes
awaba is 25 minutes from cessnock. the trails there are exellent, and there is also so good riding around cessnock if your willing. definately worth bringing the bike down with you. ourimbah is only 50 minutes away for your weekend rides.

space_ghost

Likes Bikes
A little bit further away than Awaba there is some great single track at Medowie (About an hours drive from Cessnock I think.) I stayed up near Newcastle over xmas and asked the LBS for some tips on places to ride. The tracks these guys have built in the State Park behind their house is better than most of the official tracks I've ridden in Vic. - Seriously awesome, just remember the Aeroguard.

(Access via the dirt road @ 61 Federation Drive, Medowie)

P.S. huge thank-you to whoever built the track!

JIM80B

Likes Bikes
If you're working in the Valley then a stop at Singleton XC track on your way home from work certainly wouldn't go astray. That's a great track. Can't believe noone has suggested it.

I've often thought of taking my bike with me when I've had meetings in the valley with a view to stopping at Singleton on the way home. Never put that plan into action though!

madskilz

Cannon Fodder
A little bit further away than Awaba there is some great single track at Medowie (About an hours drive from Cessnock I think.) I stayed up near Newcastle over xmas and asked the LBS for some tips on places to ride. The tracks these guys have built in the State Park behind their house is better than most of the official tracks I've ridden in Vic. - Seriously awesome, just remember the Aeroguard.

Thanks for the kind words, It was mostly done by a mate (plus some from me) who is currently OS doing his duty at the moment. I shall pass on your rap, it will be greatly appreciated. I hope to start a new downhill speed/rythm section soon, with some switchbacks on the return (pretty hard to make a switch back on flat ground, but I'll give it a go !).

For anyone who goes out there, please stay away if it's been raining hard for a while as the track tends to cut up and I'm the only one doing repairs at the moment.

Thanks

phatpat

Squid

Thanks for the tip! I'm not far away from there and thought Glenrock was my closest option!

Uber_Linny

Cannon Fodder
Thanks for the kind words, It was mostly done by a mate (plus some from me) who is currently OS doing his duty at the moment. I shall pass on your rap, it will be greatly appreciated. I hope to start a new downhill speed/rythm section soon, with some switchbacks on the return (pretty hard to make a switch back on flat ground, but I'll give it a go !).

For anyone who goes out there, please stay away if it's been raining hard for a while as the track tends to cut up and I'm the only one doing repairs at the moment.

Thanks
Looking at underlined ... WTF !!! , who ever you are ,,, if your going to take the credit for at least some of the hard work i suggest you bring a shovel out!