riding in the Jindabyne area

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Greetings folks,

We all know about the riding at Thredbo, but what else is on offer these days in and around Jindabyne? Is there enough fun stuff that is easily accessible for a week or so stay?

Also what kind of rider friendly accommodation is there? Or is it mainly that riders are a far off after thought to the snow season?

Cheers,

Poodle

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Jindy has some good riding. There's a trail from town to East Jindabyne via Tyrolean Village where there are a number of older tracks as well as the trail starting just east side of the dam wall. Follow your nose and there are trails around quite a bit of the lake frontage, plus a more DH trail along the line of Rushes Creek just on the cooma side of East Jindy (starts near the top of the climb away from the E Jindy servo.
Then there's Bungara resort trail, the Lake Crackenback trails and for scenery you can just ride up some of the dirt roads. We used to just bomb down the grass lookers left of the Thredbo road as you leave town. You gut up via a dirt road 5k or so along the Thredbo rd.

The bike shop in town - Sacred Ride can help

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Wasnt the old red bull rampage on the eastern side of the lake in early 2000s?
It was indeed. Does anyone know if anything is left from that era? I remember Grant Allen bombing a large scaffolding tower with bushfires in the background...

Thanks for the replies thus far. Some good info in there. Do many people road trip to Jindy, or is it more exciting/interesting to head over to Rotorua or Queenstown?

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
I took my bike on a snow trip, had a day off to go explore the east Jindy side. There's stacks of fun trails in there, plus with Thredbo and Bungara you would have a weeks worth of riding less than an hour drive from town. We were staying in town but on the lake, it was a few minutes ride to the trail head leading to the dam.
Compared to Rotorua I can't say.... But at least you can pack the car and drive there.

View attachment 282824
Over lake Jindabyne

Last edited:

T-Rex

Template denier
It was indeed. Does anyone know if anything is left from that era?
Went rock climbing in that area a few years ago, you could see the remains of the Rampage track, but it wasn't rideable .

I've just come back from Thredbo this weekend, in addition to the Jindabyne tracks mentioned above, work on the Thredbo river track has continued over winter, and the bridge is now in behind the rangers hut. This means the track now runs from Thredbo to the Ngari (sp?) campground, which would make it about 10km total length. It's a beautiful trail, definitely worth the trip up the hill from Jindy.

There is also some decent single track on the Crackenback resort property just outside the park gate, this is also worth hitting up. You can leave the non riding family members there, plenty to keep them amused.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Theres probably two days riding worth in Jindy, Mainly the Tyrolean Village track from East Jindy into town and Bungarra just out of Jindy.

Both are excellent trails, Bungarra is more of a private track made up of a series of loops where a donation to ride is required. Highly recommend fo half a days worth of riding.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
It was indeed. Does anyone know if anything is left from that era? I remember Grant Allen bombing a large scaffolding tower with bushfires in the background...

Thanks for the replies thus far. Some good info in there. Do many people road trip to Jindy, or is it more exciting/interesting to head over to Rotorua or Queenstown?
Have you factored in the night life!! Unless you're riding 24/7 maybe Queenstown? Lots of alternative sports for a young lad like yourself...:whistle:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Have you factored in the night life!! Unless you're riding 24/7 maybe Queenstown? Lots of alternative sports for a young lad like yourself...:whistle:
...You haven't seen my posts in the thread on staying in Queenstown? That place is very nice and has lots on offer. But....it is a bit of a sausage-fest. I've done a few months in Q'town on snow and am not in a hurry to get back there. I'd be more inclined to hit up Rotorua I think. Looking to Jindy for the convenience of throwing my gear in the go-go mobile and not having to fuss with packing for a flight.

DMan

...You haven't seen my posts in the thread on staying in Queenstown? That place is very nice and has lots on offer. But....it is a bit of a sausage-fest. I've done a few months in Q'town on snow and am not in a hurry to get back there. I'd be more inclined to hit up Rotorua I think. Looking to Jindy for the convenience of throwing my gear in the go-go mobile and not having to fuss with packing for a flight.

Sorry man I didn't realise. I need to read more threads. I haven't been to QT for about 10 years I reckon. Rotorua is good though. Good riding. But I understand the convenience in loading up your combi van and trying your luck (with riding) closer to home.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
"Valley trail" is now open from thredbo to lake crack n back resort.
No RedBull stuff left, heard rumors there's some left on private property but in short none.
some Rad dude made a little fun bermy jumpy tack on the first little hill after dam non Jindy side. "The Choad", goes on and off shared trail a few times so just look for semi unObvious exit lines like jumping over berms etc.
Bungara is meant to be alright. I've never ridden it.
lake Cracknback is okay in a medative kind of way.
thredbo has a pump track.
candllight lodge at Thredbo is bike friendly.
Old DH track above east Jindy that was mentioned before is pretty close to ruined thanks to someone building a house mid track and I think fencing it.
theres other good tracks but maybe not legal.
some fun old tracks between Jindy dam and Tyrolian village as mentioned. A few semi dh ones, none that are dh bike necasery but fun on mid travel rig.
little hill out of Cooma on Jindy side has some tracks on it.
written on ph, please ignore spelling or random spell check words.

Last edited:

dolphinman

Likes Dirt
When I'm up there for work I stay at the alpine gables (brumby bar). Always friendly and let me chuck the bike in my room.

DMan

When I'm up there for work I stay at the alpine gables (brumby bar). Always friendly and let me chuck the bike in my room.
And at such a friendly place you couldn't find ONE PERSON to check your ass?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
And at such a friendly place you couldn't find ONE PERSON to check your ass?
I find this to be an important service on cycling holidays. nothing worse than developing blisters a few days in that could have been prevented with an early application of sorbolene.

DMan

I find this to be an important service on cycling holidays. nothing worse than developing blisters a few days in that could have been prevented with an early application of sorbolene.

Very true. Get onto the things you hate thread Poodle. I'm sure you'd have some valuable advice for Dolphin. I've given him my 2c...