Riding in the Kangaroo Valley/Nowra area & surrounds?

So I've committed to a couple of weeks in Kangaroo Valley & am hoping there might be a few Burners that could recommend some great riding in the area & surrounds.

Anyone have any recommendations at all? Have checked out SCUM's webpage & am hoping there are more options than just Coondoo. Have noticed there's also a few trails outlined on EveryTrail (is it just me or am I right in interpreting the ET listings as being predominantly for the XC & bike touring types?). Reckon I'll certainly do the KV-Fitzroy Falls for interest's sake & a mid-ride swim, but it'd good to hear of any grin-inducing trails in the area with rad descents- I don't mind earning my turns.

Any info/experiences/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
If you can get dropped off at the top ... McPhails trail is fun. But I wouldn't want to ride to the top.

I've been told if you head in to see the McGees in Bowral they might let you ride on their private trail. Fitzroy Falls area ... but I haven't tried or asked

MarioM

Likes Dirt
What sort of riding ? Downhill i presume from your avatar ? There are people trying to resurrect Funnel Web , check facebook NSW MTB page . SCUMS courses are not your traditional groomed XC loops but they are XC . There is a big supply of single track down there so if you have an XC or trail bike take that . If you can work with GPX files PM me your email and I will send some through .

Thanks for the responses so far Nerf & Muz.

Yeah, I've a DH background & prefer my descending but don't object to climbs if it means bombing rad trail. Given the info I could find it looks like I be packing the 6" trail bike for the trip so I can ride the trails & still kick out the jams a little on the descents. Will have a look at NSW MTB's FB page.

Will very politely contact the guys at McGee's Cycles in Bowral & see whether I might be able to tag in on a ride or ride the trail you speak of, Nerf. Fitzroy Falls looks like a beautiful area. The McPhail's Trail looks like it'd be a good one to get the old man out on when we're up there- nice cruisey fire road descent back to Kangaroo Valley that he won't blow a valve on, or get himself in to too much trouble on.

Keep the suggestions coming if anyone else has ideas. Have also penciled in a scoot down to Sth Nowra to check out if the Wandandian track is still running.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Heading down this weekend.

Can see Green Valley MTB only 45 mins away but anyone know of any goof gravity type trails?

Happy to pedal the climbs...

Not a lot on trailforks by the looks of it.

Cheers

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Well it's not a shuttle day at GV this weekend so will likely go there for a pedal unless anyone can suggest anything else gravity oriented in the area?

I would have thought with all the riders who frequent GV that there must be a bunch of trails in the area.

Cheers

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well it's not a shuttle day at GV this weekend so will likely go there for a pedal unless anyone can suggest anything else gravity oriented in the area?

I would have thought with all the riders who frequent GV that there must be a bunch of trails in the area.

Cheers
Nowra trails are 30 mins away but more more xc. Welby is fun but even more xc.
MT Keira and MT Kembla are 20 mins up the road from GVs and have plenty on the gravity side.

northvanguy

Likes Dirt
Mount Kiera is sweet.
Well i'm down for the weekend (including Monday) from Sydney with the missus so my opportunity is probably limited to GV and not a lot further than that.... no point me driving all the way back that close to Syd.

If anything I'd want to explore West and South but appreciate the tip!

Halo1

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well i'm down for the weekend (including Monday) from Sydney with the missus so my opportunity is probably limited to GV and not a lot further than that.... no point me driving all the way back that close to Syd.

If anything I'd want to explore West and South but appreciate the tip!
There must be terrain out there suitable for some gravity so take a shovel and get digging with the missus :)

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have not ridden there but on numerous drives up the mountain I see riders with downhill bikes and that mountain is STEEP!
The pedal back up the road isnt too bad considering the runs available off that hill