Riding On Wet Tracks

sidetrack

Likes Dirt
Hi Everyone. This is just a friendly reminder that when a track has a body of water on it please ride through it not around it. Riding around it just makes the bog bigger and even harder for trail maintenance crews to fix.

As most people in Melbourne know we have been hammered by rain in the last few week. The You yangs and Wombat areas are particularly wet. Im sure other places are as well.

I ran into Trav at the YY today and he had tears in his eyes with the amount of work to be done. And I know the WMTB Club has heaps as well. Also of note was tracks the were supposed to be closed that people had just opened up and ridden.

If you really don't want to get dirty then stick to fire roads or road riding.

Slowman

Likes Dirt
It sounded friendly enough until you said:
If you really don't want to get dirty then stick to ... road riding.
:D :D :D

Just joking! I ride on the road a lot anyway, many places I've visited that are managed a little more professionally than we see here, close their parks when it is wet and the trails are saturated. I think the only reason it doesn't happen here in our National Parks (in NSW at least) is because the rangers don't even think about it. Or just don't seem to want to make any kind of formal pronouncement, not really sure why after all the studies and arguments over erosion.

Last edited:

-iRideBikes-

Likes Bikes
Yeah our trails are copping a hammering too. Stromlo really isn't looking too hot at the moment. There's so much water laying around in Canberra that even road riding leaves you soaked! Its mental. I need to learn how to bunny hop 5m puddles on a road bike I think

jakecycles

Likes Bikes
Hi Everyone. This is just a friendly reminder that when a track has a body of water on it please ride through it not around it. Riding around it just makes the bog bigger and even harder for trail maintenance crews to fix.

As most people in Melbourne know we have been hammered by rain in the last few week. The You yangs and Wombat areas are particularly wet. Im sure other places are as well.

I ran into Trav at the YY today and he had tears in his eyes with the amount of work to be done. And I know the WMTB Club has heaps as well. Also of note was tracks the were supposed to be closed that people had just opened up and ridden.

If you really don't want to get dirty then stick to fire roads or road riding.
These are normally dry trails near Castlemaine. More Erosion done in one week, than the past ten years. Also a big thanks to all the motos that have come out to play in the nice damp conditions.