Riding within a couple of hours of Newcastle?

Hi,

I've started riding again recently, living in Newcastle I've got Glenrock just down the road and places like Awaba and Singleton nearby. I enjoy going to new areas though so I'm looking for more places to ride that are within a couple of hours' drive. So far the list of places I know of is:

Glenrock
Dungog
Singleton
Awaba
Ourimbah
Medowie
Killi
Sugarloaf

As for the type of riding I like, I spent many years living in the snow for full seasons, so I like riding that mimics skifields... places like Glenrock and Awaba are good like that. I enjoy going down hill much more than going up.. my skills aren't up to riding the Awaba or Ourimbah DH tracks although I can happily session the top section at Ourimbah (the berms and the first set of jumps) all day long, and the easy fire trail back up is about as close to a chairlift as I'll get around here :D

With that in mind do you guys have any suggestions for other areas I haven't found yet?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks man, that's good info! I've got a few places still to check out in Glenrock but have covered most of it I think, it's definitely my go-to since I only live a few k's away (Waratah). Orange and Taree are both fine - my company does a little work in both of those spots so no dramas to hit either of those! I'll do some searching on Trailforks and Youtube for those trails and maybe tee up a trip..

When I say 'within a couple of hours' I'm mainly looking for places I can go on a day trip, but I'm starting to look at overnight trips as well so places like Coffs start looking good. I'm heading to Penrith on Saturday and can take the bike, got a suggestion for somewhere down there? Kentlyn looks good in videos but not being signed makes it a little harder to do alone..

Interesting you mention getting in front of the camera, I was a ski photographer and shooting MTB is pretty similar. I've done a couple of shooting trips with a local dude and got some good stuff, although lately I've been riding alone and enjoyed riding without the extra weight of the camera :p

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Hornsby is a 2 hour train (from Hamilton station) ride + 5 minute bike ride (from Hornsby station) away. It is a very easy day trip and can be backed up with a ride around the harbour and a night on the town.

Sawmill in the Watagans is a good ride, and there are other options in the area.

Mount Sugarloaf has some good riding.

killingworth as well.

Northern Beaches has some excellent trails but don't be deceived into thinking it's an easy day trip...somehow it is a mission to get to. But if you hook up with some Sydney riders it is easier to do by train than drive. Somehow Roseville or Lindfield train stations work out the best pick up point with a short drive out/back. Don't be deceived by Gordon...

Obvious local freeride quarry of doom deliberately left off this list, so don't be throwing it up.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
how did Killi/holmesville fair after the fire that swept thru a few weeks back?
anybody been out there recently to do a recon
Have you had a poke around at the back of gateshead/whitebridge area

Hornsby is a 2 hour train (from Hamilton station) ride + 5 minute bike ride (from Hornsby station) away. It is a very easy day trip and can be backed up with a ride around the harbour and a night on the town.
That sounds like a good little trip! I hadn't really considered hopping on the train, but hammo station is a 5min ride from my place..

Sawmill in the Watagans / killingworth / Mount Sugarloaf
I've run around Killi and it was fun, a little lacking in features although I didn't really know where I was going so I might have missed the good stuff. I'm not up to gapping 20 footers or anything but I do like some features to play on.. Singleton was fun but was a bit the same, only really one or two little sections with anything worth turning around to ride twice. I rode killi about three weeks ago and didn't notice any fire damage, but I could've been there before the fire?

I did ride the old DH track at Sugarloaf a few years back but it was a little gnarly for me back then.. riding a much better bike that's more suited to my abilities though, so I'll get out there again in the next couple of weeks.

Sawmill I don't know - I did some searching but only turned up a track in Coffs. Where's the Sawmill in the Watagans?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Sawmill starts around the Muir's lookout area and follows a mix of single track and destroyed old fire roads down into the Martinsville/Cooranbong area. I don't use strava or similar, but I suspect there is a segment or whatever it's called on there.

Sawmill starts around the Muir's lookout area and follows a mix of single track and destroyed old fire roads down into the Martinsville/Cooranbong area. I don't use strava or similar, but I suspect there is a segment or whatever it's called on there.
Hmm that one's eluding me, can only find road segments on strava... all good, I'll have a better look when I get home from work. Thanks for the intel!

Thanks for all the awesome info guys... I've got to drop down to Penrith tomorrow, using the heatmap I found Knapsack so I'll hit that and I found some vids of Hornsby which looks sweeeeeeet so I think I'll hit that on the way home... big day coming!

spikenet

Likes Dirt
kincumber and or bouddi, also somersby (thomos loop) etc are easy but great rides. You also have classic rides to clares bridge from mangrove mountain and great north road..