Rim Tape

e-man

Likes Dirt
Hay guys, Just got home keen to build up the DH rig and realised my wheelset never had rim tape put on at the bikeshop :( just wondering what else I could use for the meantime just too get it up and running too tune it in. I will replace it with proper rim tape later on? would electrical tape work?

Crigstar

Likes Bikes
to true it you dont need rim tape.... and if you used electrical tape good luck with getting it off later.

Yes, electrical tape will work. Do 2-3 layers.
Other options are a few layers of clear tape, or 1-2 layers of Duct-tape.
The sticky residue these tapes can leave (especially cheap ones) can easily be removed with eucalyptus oil or other solvents. Also, it doesn't really matter if the insides of your rim are a bit sticky...

harlequinn

Likes Bikes
I'm sure you're riding by now but in case you haven't done anything yet...

Another option is to use a smaller size bicycle tube (like a 24" or 20") and stretch it over the rim then trim it. People use this method to make an airtight seal for tubeless - they call it "ghetto style".

Search for "tubeless ghetto" on Youtube to see how to mount it as a rim tape for tubeless - hey you could even try tubeless.

If you're not trying tubeless simply carefully slice the sacrificial tube open along one of the tyres mold lines and then make two strips wide enough to cover the rim holes (remember it will shrink in width a little when you stretch it so make it a little wider than what you need - you can always trim it down later). Lastly cut some valve holes.

This method will save any sticky residue and be a little stronger than electrical tape, but it will cost more than electrical tape.

Cheers,

Harley.

Carlosjames64

Likes Bikes
i just always use rim tape that (should normally)comes with the bike. it gets checked every few weeks and have never had any problems