Riser bars

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Maybe. Might just be different interpretation of words. My thumbs sit on the bars roughly lined up with the outside of my shoulders. I can try some drop bars of it helps you sleep at night? But I'll be rolling them upside down.
So you have your bars shoulder width plus hands.

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Ultra - I read somewhere a good start is to measure where you put your hands when you do a pushup.

I ordered some bars, paid express postage to get for the weekend, received wrong ones, was refunded postage and given a voucher. Annoying but pretty good service from MTBD with new ones here next week. Went for a 38mm rise to try it out. Previously had 10mm rise. We'll see how it goes next weekend.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
@pink poodle going off what you said in the Stromlo thread about downhill'ish setup. Here's me on my bike side on at Stromlo the other day:

20181013-A46I0456 by Talentspotter, on Flickr

Me next to my bike:

Couple of q's. Bar roll, they are neutral according to the markers on the bars. I've always run bars like that. Do people roll them back further?

Stem length. Got long arms as I said above. Not so long torso and legs.

Slamming stem. Wouldn't want any lower bars so would need to add riser bars, what does having the stem closer to the frame achieve?

Slamming post. Mine has that much exposed to get me enough height to climb and I'm perfectly comfortable when I drop it with berms and so forth. Part of the issue there is the frame is a smidgen too small, but XL's are generally a tiny bit too big, and I only had the chance to have a quick ride of a 29er XL which felt like a truck. Lower post shorter lower stem and XL was maybe what I needed to try. In the past though I've gone a slightly smaller frame and stuck with that theory but shit has also changed in bike design.

I didn't get sore hands from the bars on the weekend, only seems to happen when I am grinding a straight course for a long time, in single track hand movement is much more and seems to stop them getting sore.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I'm 184cm, just under where 19.5 crosses over with 21.5 on their size chart, and I always went top end of the smaller than bottom end of the bigger, BMX style. Seat post extended is a full XC height, I could probably lose a little bit off it but it's pretty much the seat to BB length I run on all my bikes. Must have a short torso and long limbs.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
I see the problem in the first photo. I thought all mountain biker index fingers were permanently stuck out covering the brakes...

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Death grip for days! Absolute madman
Haha classic you noticed that. I did a no brakes no pedalling run (4 or 5 pedals at the top) down Old Duffy as was with a very slow on the downhill mate, and by that point was rolling so slow I took my finger away from the brake for the jump. Turned out 14 seconds slower than my fastest ever scare the crap out of myself run when most of the jumps were much smaller. Pedalling is overrated? :)

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Update time:
Bought some bars 2 weeks ago paid express. Received very different bars due to wrong barcode, send back, refunded postage, given bonus credit, wait a week, msg twice, offered more credit, got to Monday and asked who I needed to sleep with to get it happening, offered an upgrade to a different set which arrived today, now installed.

Originally the bike came with 50mm stem and 760mm bars which have a 20mm rise.
Felt way too twitchy for me so switched to 60mm stem with 6 degree rise.
New ones are 825mm wide, 35mm clamp, 38mm rise and changed back to 50mm stem.
However as the shorter stem has 0 degree rise with the new bars they are only 12mm higher. Contemplating a 40mm stem.
Will see how they go before cutting them narrower. Ride around the clothesline they felt good.
Interestingly, even though the bars are 825mm wide but the cut marks are all at 1/8".

Scotty T

Walks the walk
I'm not going to bother fucking around with the cockpit. I'm contemplating an XL Trek Remedy or Santa Cruz Bronson second hand. The SC I really wanted when I bought the Fuel, and there were no previous year model Remedy left at the time. Anyone kicking around Canberra got either of those in my size that I could have a spin on? Other suggestions for an XL frame that might take my non boost parts? There are no XL 2015/16 Fuel EX 27.5 frames left at Trek.

kiwiinmelb

Likes Dirt
If you are riding that model Fuel , and looking at the newer remedy , the remedy will feel smaller in comparison ,

So going up a size may be a good thing if your fuel is on the smaller size for you ,

Ive got a 2104 Fuel and a 2017 remedy

RealizE

Likes Bikes
"Other suggestions for an XL frame that might take my non boost parts?.
Banshee Prime. I had the same year Fuel and frame swapped to the Banshee. I'm the same height as you and went large, really wish I went XL :(