Rival vs 105 groupset options

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Looking at groupset options for the Bombtrack Arise I picked up last year. Want to get into more into gravel rides, but keep it as my daily commuter as well. Singlespeed is great, but man it kills me the day after a weights session!

Keen for hydraulic brakes as part of the upgrade, but not tied to them.

The new 105 R7000 looks good, with hydro brakes and 11-34 rear cassettes (with 50/34 crankset) - but I really love 1x and the Rival 1 wins out there for aesthetics.

Rival 1 being SRAM comes at a premium in Aus - around $1300. The 105 is $8-900 depending on online retailer. Unless anyone knos cheap SRAM deals than bikebug?

Cheap option: I could get a Wolftooth chainring, the 105 levers, a rear derailleur, chain and cassette - and keep the mechanical disc brakes and possibly the cranks? So have a 1x option with the 42 up front.

I also have some quick/n00b questions:

1. I've currently got a 170mm crank for the SS - should I keep this length, or go to 172.5 for geared options?
2. Rear hub is a ""Title-Disc" sealed hub, 11-speed, 6-bolt disc, QR axle" - guessing that means I can just put a 11 speed cassette on - but are SRAM and Shimano different for road hub/cassettes?

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Of interest perhaps for a gravel bike, Ultegra level has a clutched rear mech that will play with 105 shifters. Older 105 hydraulic shifters are crap, new ones are good. Ultegra also good of course :)

For road stuff, I prefer Shimano - I never liked the double tap thing. Its very personal preferences though ;)

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Of interest perhaps for a gravel bike, Ultegra level has a clutched rear mech that will play with 105 shifters. Older 105 hydraulic shifters are crap, new ones are good. Ultegra also good of course :)

For road stuff, I prefer Shimano - I never liked the double tap thing. Its very personal preferences though ;)
Oh yeah, good point - might be worth going to the RX derailleur if going Shimano 1x.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
I've got the Rival Gruppo on the Kona Sutra, and it seems to play quite nicely on that bike. The Sram Double-Tap motion is really quite neat, I haven't ridden a drop bar bike in years and it was instantly understandable and intuitive; long press for easy gears, short press for harder gears.
It's nice that the entire brake lever doesn't pivot about the place.

I was looking at trying to fit a front derailleur for touring purposes, but I doubt I'll find the use with the Rival stuff, and as a cheap option I've just got a OneUp "switch" carrier for the crank that's on it, and I can buy a lower or higher gearing if required. Although it's worth noting that single ring setup might have clearance issues on larger cogs that a double/triple crankset wouldn't. My bike came stock with a 36t, and I've got a 36t oval on order, there should be clearance for that, but would be concerned going a 38t oval without first seeing how close the 36t fits.

It's a fair whack of money more for the SRAM stuff, but I really what they've done with the Rival, and not a huge fan of "floppy" brake levers. So I think I'd just close my eyes and hand the card over if I had to buy stuff again.
Some of the other Bombtracks come with Rival 1x options, so I'm hoping that its similar. They seem to design the frames to be as versatile as possible.

Yeah, I'd also like to just get Rival because its so neat... Just got to convince myself that its worth the extra whack of cash - hard to do!

Calvin27

Eats Squid
Buddy, you might want to make sure the disc brake calipers are compatible with frame. Been out of the game wrt to specs, but I beleive the 105 is flat mount and the bombtrack might be running IS/PM. Just something to check (nah secretly jealous and want to see a used bombtrack pop up haha).

On a side note, I'd ditch sram on geoblocking principle. Also I think shimano might have the same pad size as the mtb stuff (once agan check - I am a little out of touch and haven't bought stuff in a while lol)

droenn

Fat Man's XC President

Ok, so we're talking post-mount instead of flat-mount now? (this whole thread will be a bunch of my stupid questions)

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Repeat after me: "SRAM can eat a bag of dicks"

The absolute best option is Ultegra
Di2 hydro brifters hooked up to XT di2 derailleurs and calipers.

That way you get zero chance of mud ingress into lines. You can use XT fd with 2x mtb cranks or Ultegra fd with road depending on your bb spacing. XT clutched rd will accomodate XT 11-46 cassettes on 10 speed hub. XT calipers with floating pistons and sintered pads will be strong enough for fully loaded touring in the wet.

Next best option is Shimano R785 brifters hooked up to a XT 10 speed rd with a goatlink. You can use the CX fd for a 2x mtb crank or the standard Ultegra for a road crank. Again 11-46 cassette compatibility, clutched, XT sintered pads etc.

Merlin seems to have the best prices.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Yeah, all Flat Mount to Post mount, or Flat Mount to Flat Mount (larger).
Not seen anything that goes Post Mount to Flat Mount (OP's bike is Post mount).
Shimano make flat mount caliper to post mount frame adaptets.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk