Road trip Sydney to Melbourne

T-Rex

Template denier
I’m putting together an itinerary for a road trip for some Kiwi friends, a father and son pair who are strong trail riders and very fit. They would fly into Sydney, then end up at relatives in Melbourne, taking roughly two weeks. Itinerary is:

Fly into Sydney stay with us
- Manly Dam (I’ll guide them)
- Mt Keira (T-Rex Junior will guide them)
- Stromlo
- Jindabyne
- Thredbo
- Beechworth
- Mt Buller
- Bright
Finish up in Melbourne.

Some questions:

Canberra: Where to stay that’s bike tolerant? We always stay with relatives. Is there anywhere cheap that’s near the city so they could look around at night? Or anywhere else that’s close to Canberra night life (which I understand is well hidden)? Also, what other areas are worth riding apart from Stromlo? I haven’t been to Majura since it’s being rebuilt, is it any good? Is Kowen worth a visit?

Beechworth – I haven’t actually ridden there, but heard it’s really good. Where to stay? And some recommendations on the riding area, and Strava links if possible please.

Bright – Having only been there to race, I only know the XC and DH race tracks. What other tracks in the area do people recommend? Also, the preferred LBS in Bright?

Thanks.

EsPeGe

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I’m putting together an itinerary for a road trip for some Kiwi friends, a father and son pair who are strong trail riders and very fit. They would fly into Sydney, then end up at relatives in Melbourne, taking roughly two weeks. Itinerary is:

Fly into Sydney stay with us
- Manly Dam (I’ll guide them)
- Mt Keira (T-Rex Junior will guide them)
- Stromlo
- Jindabyne
- Thredbo
- Beechworth
- Mt Buller
- Bright
Finish up in Melbourne.

Some questions:

Canberra: Where to stay that’s bike tolerant? We always stay with relatives. Is there anywhere cheap that’s near the city so they could look around at night? Or anywhere else that’s close to Canberra night life (which I understand is well hidden)? Also, what other areas are worth riding apart from Stromlo? I haven’t been to Majura since it’s being rebuilt, is it any good? Is Kowen worth a visit?

Beechworth – I haven’t actually ridden there, but heard it’s really good. Where to stay? And some recommendations on the riding area, and Strava links if possible please.

Bright – Having only been there to race, I only know the XC and DH race tracks. What other tracks in the area do people recommend? Also, the preferred LBS in Bright?

Thanks.
Majura is a lot of fun but a lot smaller than Stromlo. A number of the trails there have really fun berms and jumps etc. Check the video in the link below which will give you an idea what it's like. Last time I was there the jumps park was closed due works. Not sure if that's still the case. I can't really help you with suggestions for bike friendly accommodation cos my folks live there so I've never had the need. I'll ask some friends and see what they suggest but I suspect the answer will be the same.

http://www.majurapines.org/trails.php

Cheers Scott.

P.S. What dates would you see them being in Canberra? Whilst I live in Sydney now if I'm free I'd be happy to show em about.

bikeyoulongtime

Likes Dirt
Majura is worth a visit.

Add Mt Beauty, awesome old school trails there. I've heard way better than Bright, but I've never ridden at Bright...

If there is time, stop in at Buxton and Lake Mountain (look up and contact folks at the Murrindindi Cycle Club, they're a helpful bunch!)

Culley

Likes Dirt
i just recently did this trip myself
definatly make the effort of going to Majura Pines and make sure you check out the new Buxton mtb park
Beechworth was fun , the MTB park wasnt the best but check it out. I tagged along with some other guys who showed me the other local trails which were rad , im sure you can find them on one of the trail websites.
I stayed at the 'Old Priory guest house" in beechworth was comfortable

didnt get to Bright but ive been hearing good things

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
We stayed in cabin at lake sambwell caravan park at Beechworth. 2km road ride to the mtb park, 5km rail trail ride to flametrees. (Another 20k of single track ) Park owners are mtbers themselves, were very helpful and I can't recommend it enough. Stroll to the Beechworth Brewers brewery took about 15 minutes there and varied back of course... If you want to send them to wingello let me know and I'll sort them out for a guide...

And sparrow hill and kowen are my Canberra favs...

dh1

Likes Dirt
I live right near Keira and is my main riding ground, if you want some more companions I would most difenetly tag along.

ponyrider

Likes Bikes
Probably the YHA in Canberra as I believe they have bike lockers. I travel to Canberra a lot and prefer to stay at one of the many hotels on Northbourne Ave, Civic/Braddon area. That's also close to the various pubs/bars/coffee of Lonsdale St so it's a good bet. I prefer to go for a hotel with an underground car park and lock my bike in the car. Or you could look at the Abode group of hotels, they tend to be in suburban centres like Ghungalin and Tuggeranong, good value accom though.

MARKL

Eats Squid
When staying in Canberra we normally stay at Forest Hotel & Apartments. Have had 6 bikes in a room without any complaint.

patto12

Squid
Theres two LBS in Bright now, cyclepath & All Terrain Cycles. I've found both to be helpful when visiting, both have hire ranges if needed.
Trail maps have been recently produced for Mt Mystic and can be picked up at the bike shops and a few cafes around town for a gold coin donation towards trail works.