Roads are for cars, not Lycra louts say SMH

thelankyman

Likes Dirt
From the Sydney Morning Herald and featured in The Age

Like someone said in another forum. "That guy is not a cyclist. He just a dickhead with a bike"

What a garbage article and to have it featured is infuriating!

Whoever made up the Roads and Traffic Authority's 1990s slogan ''the road is there to share'' has a lot to answer for. It's a big fat lie. The road is not there to share. Roads are built for cars. Pretending otherwise is unfair to motorists and cyclists alike.

It leads to tragic accidents and violent incidents such as the attack on a 64-year-old bus driver by a cyclist last Friday.

At 5.05am, in the pre-dawn half light a cyclist in his 30s, "dressed like Cadel Evans", says the Transport Workers Union bus industry official Darcy Waller, was riding illegally on the bus only North-West T-way near Seven Hills.

Illustration: Edd Aragon.
You can see from the video footage released by police this week how dangerous the situation is, with the bus travelling at 80km/h in a narrow lane with little tolerance on either side.

The bus had to sound its horn and pull over to the right, into the oncoming lane, to get past the cyclist. When the cyclist caught up with the bus at the next set of traffic lights, he allegedly banged on the side of the bus, and broke the bus driver's side mirror.

This is classic angry cyclist behaviour, as if it's up to the cycling fraternity to forcibly educate the motoring public and instil fear like jackbooted Soviets.

How aggressive do you have to be at 5am, anyway? You never hear of rowers, joggers, swimmers, yoga artists or other dawn fitness devotees attacking people.

You can see from the footage later on, when the bus stops to take on passengers, that the cyclist is full of righteous rage, shouting and pushing his way on to the bus, past a woman paying her fare, to punch the driver in the face.

It wasn't the first time bus drivers have had to contend with irrational cyclists. This cat-and-mouse game has been going on for almost three years, since the T-way was built. The RTA has done nothing to address the problem.

Now Waller says drivers are so fed up they are calling a protest meeting next week. "There's been verbal abuse, drivers spat at, punched through the bus window. The RTA are aware of it but we're bringing it to a head next week.

''Bus drivers don't have a problem with cyclists, but that's a 15-tonne vehicle they're driving around. If you want to use the road you need to respect the road rules and other users. There's a an element of cyclists that don't respect anybody."

Neither motorists nor cyclists ever wanted a civil war. But hostilities were fed by the lies told by the Government and the RTA, which gave cyclists unreasonable expectations and ideas above their station. The former roads minister Carl Scully, a vegetarian cyclist, threw $250 million at the lobby, further fuelling expectations which were dashed by subsequent roads ministers.

Most bike paths turned out to be little more than white paint on a road, with no room for a bike between parked cars and traffic. But they sent a signal to cyclists that motorists were somehow in the wrong.

There was a cycleway promised on the North-West T-way, but the reality turned out to be less than cyclists had in mind, with big gaps, traffic lights and intersections along the way. This caused an outbreak of vandalism and, as we saw last week, civil disobedience by cyclists with an inflated sense of importance.

Attempts to retrofit roads to allow equal access to bikes and pedestrians just makes them more dangerous and simply adds to Sydney's already woeful gridlock. Bikes and pedestrians are allowed on to roads only under the good graces of motorists, and only when they do not pose a traffic hazard.

The ideologues who have fostered the road-sharing lie must think a few dead cyclists and pedestrians are a small price to pay for getting cars off the road, because that is their ultimate aim: to make driving so unpleasant, slow, expensive and fraught with hazards that motorists give up.

So far, all they have done is create a dangerous sense of entitlement among other road users. Harold Scruby and his Pedestrian Council are much to blame for the attitude that far from sharing the road, cars are there under sufferance.

Pedestrians no longer stop and wait for cars to slow before launching themselves on to a zebra crossing. They stride out, like Moses parting the Red Sea, expecting cars to defy the laws of physics. The result is an increase in pedestrian injury.

Oxford Street reportedly has become a late-night killing zone, due to the arrogance of jaywalkers who think it is their god-given right to cross wherever they please. Councils have been forced to erect ugly kerbside fences to protect jaywalkers from themselves.

And that's not to even mention the ridiculous turfing of the Sydney Harbour Bridge on Sunday, which caused traffic pile-ups of two to three hours of delay on the north shore.

This was one of Nathan Rees's most memorable achievements: to close down one of Australia's busiest routes at huge expense to the taxpayer. To lay tens of thousands of metres of kikuyu grass so a few people could have a picnic (with no view) in the middle of the bridge rather than at any number of beautiful natural parklands around Sydney.

The Premier was ecstatic, proclaiming the tourism benefits of attracting people from as far away as, oh, Thornleigh.

''This is Sydney at its very best and another extraordinary event proving we can do anything,'' Rees said. It does prove there is no limit to the bread-and-circuses desperation of the State Government.

But under the Government-sponsored jollity of the day there was a not-so-subtle message: that even the most crucial and iconic roads do not belong to cars.

They can and will be reclaimed for frivolous purposes at any time.

devinemiranda@hotmail.com

scblack

Leucocholic
Miranda Devine Dribble

Here is the usual ranting dribble from Miranda Devine at SMH.

Article today.

Roads are for cars, not Lycra louts
October 29, 2009
Whoever made up the Roads and Traffic Authority's 1990s slogan ''the road is there to share'' has a lot to answer for. It's a big fat lie. The road is not there to share. Roads are built for cars. Pretending otherwise is unfair to motorists and cyclists alike.

It leads to tragic accidents and violent incidents such as the attack on a 64-year-old bus driver by a cyclist last Friday.
At 5.05am, in the pre-dawn half light a cyclist in his 30s, "dressed like Cadel Evans", says the Transport Workers Union bus industry official Darcy Waller, was riding illegally on the bus only North-West T-way near Seven Hills.
Illustration: Edd Aragon.

You can see from the video footage released by police this week how dangerous the situation is, with the bus travelling at 80km/h in a narrow lane with little tolerance on either side.
The bus had to sound its horn and pull over to the right, into the oncoming lane, to get past the cyclist. When the cyclist caught up with the bus at the next set of traffic lights, he allegedly banged on the side of the bus, and broke the bus driver's side mirror.
This is classic angry cyclist behaviour, as if it's up to the cycling fraternity to forcibly educate the motoring public and instil fear like jackbooted Soviets.
How aggressive do you have to be at 5am, anyway? You never hear of rowers, joggers, swimmers, yoga artists or other dawn fitness devotees attacking people.
You can see from the footage later on, when the bus stops to take on passengers, that the cyclist is full of righteous rage, shouting and pushing his way on to the bus, past a woman paying her fare, to punch the driver in the face.
It wasn't the first time bus drivers have had to contend with irrational cyclists. This cat-and-mouse game has been going on for almost three years, since the T-way was built. The RTA has done nothing to address the problem.
Now Waller says drivers are so fed up they are calling a protest meeting next week. "There's been verbal abuse, drivers spat at, punched through the bus window. The RTA are aware of it but we're bringing it to a head next week.
''Bus drivers don't have a problem with cyclists, but that's a 15-tonne vehicle they're driving around. If you want to use the road you need to respect the road rules and other users. There's a an element of cyclists that don't respect anybody."
Neither motorists nor cyclists ever wanted a civil war. But hostilities were fed by the lies told by the Government and the RTA, which gave cyclists unreasonable expectations and ideas above their station. The former roads minister Carl Scully, a vegetarian cyclist, threw $250 million at the lobby, further fuelling expectations which were dashed by subsequent roads ministers.
Most bike paths turned out to be little more than white paint on a road, with no room for a bike between parked cars and traffic. But they sent a signal to cyclists that motorists were somehow in the wrong.
There was a cycleway promised on the North-West T-way, but the reality turned out to be less than cyclists had in mind, with big gaps, traffic lights and intersections along the way. This caused an outbreak of vandalism and, as we saw last week, civil disobedience by cyclists with an inflated sense of importance.
Attempts to retrofit roads to allow equal access to bikes and pedestrians just makes them more dangerous and simply adds to Sydney's already woeful gridlock. Bikes and pedestrians are allowed on to roads only under the good graces of motorists, and only when they do not pose a traffic hazard.
The ideologues who have fostered the road-sharing lie must think a few dead cyclists and pedestrians are a small price to pay for getting cars off the road, because that is their ultimate aim: to make driving so unpleasant, slow, expensive and fraught with hazards that motorists give up.
So far, all they have done is create a dangerous sense of entitlement among other road users. Harold Scruby and his Pedestrian Council are much to blame for the attitude that far from sharing the road, cars are there under sufferance.
Pedestrians no longer stop and wait for cars to slow before launching themselves on to a zebra crossing. They stride out, like Moses parting the Red Sea, expecting cars to defy the laws of physics. The result is an increase in pedestrian injury.
Oxford Street reportedly has become a late-night killing zone, due to the arrogance of jaywalkers who think it is their god-given right to cross wherever they please. Councils have been forced to erect ugly kerbside fences to protect jaywalkers from themselves.
And that's not to even mention the ridiculous turfing of the Sydney Harbour Bridge on Sunday, which caused traffic pile-ups of two to three hours of delay on the north shore.
This was one of Nathan Rees's most memorable achievements: to close down one of Australia's busiest routes at huge expense to the taxpayer. To lay tens of thousands of metres of kikuyu grass so a few people could have a picnic (with no view) in the middle of the bridge rather than at any number of beautiful natural parklands around Sydney.
The Premier was ecstatic, proclaiming the tourism benefits of attracting people from as far away as, oh, Thornleigh.
''This is Sydney at its very best and another extraordinary event proving we can do anything,'' Rees said. It does prove there is no limit to the bread-and-circuses desperation of the State Government.
But under the Government-sponsored jollity of the day there was a not-so-subtle message: that even the most crucial and iconic roads do not belong to cars.
They can and will be reclaimed for frivolous purposes at any time.
devinemiranda@hotmail.com
http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/socie...e-for-cars-not-lycra-louts-20091028-hkwr.html

Last edited:

rubikat

Likes Dirt
Ha ha ha ha.
What a poorly written article full of hyperbole and bullshit.
vegetarian cyclist minister- what does that have to do with vehicles vs bikes??
jackboots? yeah, i can't seriosuly be a jackbooted cyclists as they are so bloody hard to pedal in!

Never take anything written by Miranda Devine seriously.
The only exercise that woman gets is stroking her own ego.

Last edited:

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Haha, what an extended piece of one-sided drivel. Just what people want though, something they can use to justify getting riled about "those bloody cyclists!" on their road.
Sad to see Miranda has learnt nothing in all her years as a 'journalist' - maybe that's why her email ends in "@hotmail.com", not "@smh.com.au"

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have sent her emails after some of her crazy articles and pointed out errors in her arguments. I have actually receive two replies from her and I must say the quality of the writing in the replies made me think her editors do quite a bit of correction.

I like to know at least that the way to be a lower level of human even below a cyclist is to be a "vegetarian cyclist". :)

Jonny26

Likes Dirt
I read that and thought, what an utter load of crap, even talking crap about pedestrians "Striding" on to crossings......
More beats ups against anyone using the road except cars...

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
can someone advise spanky if those are Quick Release skewers...

need some now...them are f*cking awesome..

Oh, and miranda divine is nothing but a vacuous dribbly cum bucket.... no better than the bus driver beating cyclist...

McBain

Likes Bikes and Dirt
As I understand it, all the real journo's in the Sydney Fairfax office refuse to sit near her, so she's banished to the kids area with the other Sun Herald finger painters.

I don't read her dribble any more - reading it online just drives up the page views and makes them even more keen to publish her shite to try and get the advertising bikkies.

Blotto

Likes Dirt
There are alot of claims in that article that are aimed deadset agianst cyclists. What I want to know is, where is the proof? Show the statistics of how many cyclist have punched a bus driver because he honked them and I'll eat my words, but so far, I have only heard of one.

I would have to guess that given the amount of road rage between to motorists would far outway the road rage coming from a cyclist to a motorist. Despite what the article implies, cyclist's tend to realise that they are the little guy and that behaviour like she mentioned really is tempting fate, and by far in the minority.

So much for equal opportunity. What of those who simply can't afford a vehicle? Are they to be restricted to their own homes because it isn't safe to ride a bike or walk to work?

Knopey

Likes Dirt
Yet more proof that the media is there to sell advertising space, not information or anything necessarily based on reality.

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
I do feel sorry for the folk that choose to read the Sydney media because IT SUCKS ARSE. It isn't only the crap they talk about cyclists (which shouldn't even end up in the news in the first place) but it is everything. The sport coverage sucks, the journo's must be schooled in the art of "dimwittery" and the reader replies to the latest uproar on Sydney roads are pathetic.
I'm glad I'm not forced to read it everyday...........

murrum

Banned
Meh - more rubbish from fairfax and Miranda - the paper is a joke, best ignored.

I've got a funny feeling though that Miranda would go off like a rocket in the sack. Beneath that self righteous angst lurks a north shore firecracker.

As a matter of fact - combine Miranda, Annabell Crabb and the wonderful Liz Farrelly and you have all the makings of a fun SMH S&M night out.

Last edited:

niftydog

Likes Dirt
One cyclist go ape shit - big deal. I wonder how many car-related road rage incidents there were on that morning!

Chul

Likes Bikes
Miranda Devine - come on guys, if you swallowed your conflakes everytime she said something 'alarmist', right wing, narrow minded, oppositional etc. Youd be dead.

She is paid to evoke the reaction she did in you cause the rest of the paper has a left wing Bias.

hdtvkss

Likes Dirt
another year another Devine piece of dribble. life's good when your old mans the editor.... just leave the special kid alone.

i wish somone would post an article saying that "the newspaper is for factual reporting, not editorial masturbation"

p.s yes, i do believe that she would go off like a frog in a sock.

Tomas

my mum says im cool
Miranda Devine - come on guys, if you swallowed your conflakes everytime she said something 'alarmist', right wing, narrow minded, oppositional etc. Youd be dead.
Quoted for truth. Dont even give ger the time of day.