Roads are for cars, not Lycra louts say SMH

frensham

Likes Dirt
People like Miranda Devine would love to see all cyclists off the road. Seems fair to me - let's put another few thousand cars on the road each morning and see how that improves the grid-lock!!

What an ill informed idiot!

mattyd

Likes Dirt
People like Miranda Devine would love to see all cyclists off the road. Seems fair to me - let's put another few thousand cars on the road each morning and see how that improves the grid-lock!!

What an ill informed idiot!
That's not a bad idea. We should have "an all cyclist drive to work day."
I reckon it would add a significant amount of cars on the road that morning.
At least in Sydneys inner ring.

Duff_Man

Likes Dirt
I cant comment about the way she has written this article because my english is very poor, but i do think that she has raised some valid points about cyclists on the road. I drive a car, ride motor bikes and push bikes on the road and i am sometimes distgusted by the way in which many cyclists use the road. My main issue is with roadies who for some reason feel they can do what they want just because they went down to a bike shop, spent $15,000 on all the gear, have no idea, yet feel it is ok to ride 6 abrest. I have been for road rides along beach road on a saturday morning and i totally understand why half the residence of that area chuck glass, nails and anything else they can find on the road, because i would! Cyclists dont pay to use the roads, and move at much slower speeds than other vehicles, therefore they should be much more accomodating for other road users. No one likes the guy sitting in the right lane on the freeway doing 80....so why would anyone like the cyclist commanding the road doing 40......

Think someone said early they havnt heard of much violence on the road in regards to cyclists v's motorists...there is heaps, i dont have facts but i know of heaps of different situations where roadies have kicked doors, punched out windows etc...you say the other guy wasnt a cyclist, he was just a dickhead on a bike, it may be the case but at the end of the day he was on a bike and that makes him a cyclist.

Nerf Herder

Wheel size expert
I've started the pushy commute again recently, as opposed to the moto commute ... and I've noticed people are a little more weary of me (a cyclist).

As an example ... powering over Pyrmont bridge or what ever that walkway bridge is near Darling harbour ... pederstrians are actually stepping out of my way ... FARK ... that would never have happened last year when I was commutting more regularly ... Not everybody (which is expected) but more of them.

Similarly, I've noticed buses are giving me more room ... or are actually making eye contact with me. I am the type that does ride down a couple of one way streets the wrong way ... but i've noticed bus drivers actively moving (within limits) and making the effort to look at my face and make eye contact. This is a bloody miracle I say ... they wouldn't take the time to do that when I on my moto ... fark they hardly ever check their mirrors.

Lastly ... people tend to shy away from me (you know ... turn their shoulders, clutch their bags ... and generally move their arse fractionally away from me). Where previously they would have acted as if they owned that patch of pavement.

Not sure if its all due to this negative publicity but I've noticed there is a little more awareness none the less.

Could be due to the gorilla mask, Anti-maggie zips coming out of my lid, and general body odour ... and my "I suffer from road rage" Tee ???* shrugs

SouthYarraSage

Likes Dirt
Cyclists dont pay to use the roads
Most cyclists do own a car and pay rego, do have a job and pay tax... the fact that they might not be driving their car at that moment doesn't mean they haven't contributed to the costs of that infrastructure, or don't have a right to use it.

Face it, there are people from all walks of life who behave like dickheads. You're offended by people poncing around on $15,000 bikes? Get over it. Would it make a difference if it was a $150 bike?

Knopey

Likes Dirt
If cyclists don't pay to use the road, pedestrians don't pay to use the footpath. Or the road for that matter.

Do you pay to breathe air? Or walk to your corner shop? :rolleyes:

Ridenparadise

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It is interesting that places far more crowded than Australia accept cyclists on roads without agro. Also weird when more bikes are sold per year than cars. However, there's no doubting the risks. As I have said before, road rules are not for cyclists and I do whatever the hell I like to keep safe while riding "on" the road - footpaths, verges, medians etc.

I guess it is human nature to get nasty about your rights, so I am sure some cyclists do set a bad example with aggressive behaviour. Attacking cars and drivers is almost justifiable if they hit you or run you off the road first, but not just because you think the road is yours. Education is the key, I agree. Will it happen? More likely cyclists will be taxed to ride the roads.

Oh - one thing I do agree with the author about is that Al Gore is a fraud and an energy wasting prick of an opportunist who's surmons on climate change are clouded out by the contrails from all his overseas jaunts. He has no interest in science, only personal gain.

Ham

Likes Bikes and Dirt
It is interesting that places far more crowded than Australia accept cyclists on roads without agro. Also weird when more bikes are sold per year than cars. However, there's no doubting the risks. As I have said before, road rules are not for cyclists and I do whatever the hell I like to keep safe while riding "on" the road - footpaths, verges, medians etc.

We have a car culture in this country the cycling culture is getting bigger buts its relatively new, in other country the bike culture was bigger first so motorists are used to it more.

unitec

Likes Dirt
I. Cyclists dont pay to use the roads,
Some good points there however just have to pull you up on this one.
Most cyclists pay the same amount of taxes as motorists and as such do pay to use the road. In fact if they then choose to leave their car in the garage providing all the community benefits that come with "one less car on the road" they should have the right to a safe place to ride.
Wether this is on the road or not is another question however while ever the laws allow it, it is something that we just have to deal with.
Blocking the traffic to prevent cars overtaking when unsafe is a legimitate safety strategy and in fact is taught to motorcyclists in the training courses. The problem is that too many cyclists over use this and because it is legal think it's OK to do it all the time.

CourseOut

Likes Bikes
As a cyclist and a motorist (if its got wheels I like it basically) I generally don't have any issues when doing either - a person who is courteous will be the same regardless how many wheels they have under them or how they are powered. A bicycle is much slower than a car *generally speaking* and this is were the issues arise I believe.

The only time I see issues between cyclists and motorists in my area (Newcastle - maybe we are a bit more relaxed out here? Or everyone gets there anger out by glassing each other at the pub...) is when you get a large group of road cyclists together. I often pass them on the weekends going to work, riding right on the edge of the road when there is a nice, wide, tarred area that they could be occupying. The road is there to share for sure, but if there was someone driving a car at 30km/h on an 80km/h highway blocking your path you'd be flashing your lights and telling them to get out of your way too....

Duff_Man

Likes Dirt
I do understand that we all still pay taxes etc and thus we are contributing to infastructure, therefore alowing us the right to use the road way. As for my issue with riders on $15,000 bikes riding 6 abrest, i couldnt care what bike you are on or how much it is worth, it was simply an example of the mindset of these riders. Yes there could be people on $150 bikes doing the same thing. Just remember guys we are all on this forum because we are cyclist, im not attacking anyone i am just saying that this mindset of "us" v's "them" is a little much. There are people in cars who break the road rules and there are people on bikes that break the road rules...just as there are wankers who ride bikes and have no regard for other road users, and there are wankers who drive cars and have no regard for other road users!

Id love to get out of my car everytime someone cuts me off and kick their door in or smash their window, but i dont becuase i know i will just get caught...very hard to report me if i am on a bike with no rego tag though, so maybe this is why people take that risk, becuase they know it is very hard to be held accountable.

just to add...i dont want to have to pay to be able to ride my bike on the road..that would suck, i am already paying car, moto and moto rec reg....i own 4 push bikes, so the bill would be huge! i think people just need to respect other people on the road.

Last edited:

Arete

Likes Dirt
Miranda Devine goes on a rant - bleh.

However the whole "cyclists don't pay to use the road... registration... won't respect them til they pay rah rah rah" argument is inherently flawed. Why? Because there's a little thing that gives cyclists the right to be on the road called THE LAW.

A bicycle is legally a vehicle and besides some exceptions as specifically stated in the Australian road rules, must legally be considered a vehicle - same as a car, truck, bus, horse and cart, motorcycle, etc.

As such, by not treating bicycles as legitimate vehicles when driving, the driver is breaking the law, which you agree to obey every time you decide to operate a motor vehicle. If you don't agree with the road rules, get on the fucking bus.

Imagine if truck drivers decided that, as they pay heaps more rego than a car, that they were no longer going to give way to oncoming traffic when turning right. I mean, they've got so much more right to be on the road with all that rego, oncoming cars hold them up for several minutes at a time, and hell, if it comes down the laws of physics, car drivers lose. Cars should be on those extensive, tax payer funded back roads and leave the highways for the trucks.

Regan of Gong

Likes Dirt
Imagine if truck drivers decided that, as they pay heaps more rego than a car, that they were no longer going to give way to oncoming traffic when turning right. I mean, they've got so much more right to be on the road with all that rego, oncoming cars hold them up for several minutes at a time, and hell, if it comes down the laws of physics, car drivers lose. Cars should be on those extensive, tax payer funded back roads and leave the highways for the trucks.
Can you send this in as a letter to the SMH? It made me lol, and it's a pretty good point.

cossack

Likes Bikes
Before I start, two things:
• I don’t think we should have to pay to have our rights recognized by other road users.
• Roads were not built for cars but pedestrian & horse traffic.

We always hear the tin top argument that we don’t pay rego so get out of the way.

What do you think of the idea of adding $10 to the price of every new bike for life time rego?
No rego plates just admin. We don't damage the road, we just take up space.

It would probably cost $100 to administer but that is another point.

Cheers.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Wodonga cyclist loses battle in hospital
Shannon Crane - The Border Mail
30/10/2009 11:28:00 AM
A WODONGA cyclist involved in a car accident on the Hume Highway north of Albury yesterday has died in hospital.
The man, 73, who was hit by a Toyota sedan near Table Top while riding with two other cyclists, died at The Alfred hospital in Melbourne about 5am this morning.

Police say his next of kin has been notified.

Earlier, Albury Inspector John Wadsworth said police were speaking to witnesses and the driver of the Toyota to determine exactly what happened.

“Around 9.30 this morning a group of three cyclists was riding north on the Hume Highway north of Thurgoona, a vehicle also travelling north has collided with one of the cyclists,” he said.

“We don’t know at this stage exactly what happened but we are talking with the driver and several witnesses.

“It’s in the early stages now and we’ve still got a long way to go.”

The driver of the Toyota, a Wodonga man in his early 50s, was also taken to Albury Base Hospital and was treated for shock.

Police declared the area a crime scene and forensics were called to help determine how the crash happened.

Police said the man was an experienced cyclist and was wearing a helmet and reflective clothing.

The northbound lanes were closed and traffic was diverted to the old highway for about two hours.

Insp Wadsworth used the crash to warn motorists and cyclists to look out for each other on the roads.

“It’s terrible that a cyclist has been seriously injured and I seriously hope he is OK,” he said.

“As we lead up to the Christmas break, we urge all drivers and cyclists to be very careful on the roads, keep a good eye out for each other.

“We don’t want any more accidents like this at all over the Christmas break, just please be very careful on the roads.

“Quite often cyclists won’t be wearing reflective gear, on this occasion the cyclist was, but drivers, be very careful.”
:( When will people realise that this is not a trivial matter, not something to write a ranting and raving article saying a big "F you cyclists", or think its OK to openly joke about it on national television, these are real lives being destroyed by a lack of respect and a self-centredness that permeates every human being saying "my rights on the road outweigh your right to life" :mad:.

We hear it all the time, "Oh, you're one of those guys that hold me up on my way to work", "Why don't you ride on the footpath", "You don't pay rego" and overhearing things like "I scared this cyclist reeeel good today…" and "he got what he deserved, flaming idiot" (as if you'd use your own body and energy to transport yourself somewhere :rolleyes:). As said before, education is the only thing that will change people's attitudes.

Maybe one of the contributing factors to this problem is John here...

www dot 27bslash6 dot com slash bike dot html

(I'm not allowed to post a link because this is only my 3rd post. It's a good link though, and I'll be a good forumite in the long run...)

Last edited:

gixer7

Likes Dirt
Before I start, two things:
• I don’t think we should have to pay to have our rights recognized by other road users.
• Roads were not built for cars but pedestrian & horse traffic.

We always hear the tin top argument that we don’t pay rego so get out of the way.

What do you think of the idea of adding $10 to the price of every new bike for life time rego?
No rego plates just admin. We don't damage the road, we just take up space.

It would probably cost $100 to administer but that is another point.

Cheers.
No I think it is a stupid idea. No offence.

Personally, every time I hear an ignorant motorist claim we don't pay rego so we don't deserve even basic courtesy I think to myself, well fine, I'll pay rego for my bike when they start paying for the true cost of their car.

You know, road construction, maintenance, damage repair, emergency services, pollution (local and at source of extraction & refining), lost national GDP/GNP due to traffic inefficiencies - have I forgotten anything?