Rock shox monarch help

mudmav

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

So i have a 2009 monarch 4.2 high volume shock on my 2006 enduro elite, problem is im heavy (120kg) and i have to run the pressure in the shock at about 320psi to get 28-30%sag. Because of this i keep blowing seals.

I have been trying to work out a way to reduce my pressures but to maintain a decent sag level ie between 25 and 30 %.

I have the high volume air can in 8.5 x 2.5 and i notice on the sram web site that they also do a standard volume air can and a dual air can in this size.

my theory is that if i run the smaller air can it may help me with my sag and also help me to provide a bit more ramp up at the end of the travel???

Anyone have any ideas or other thoughts?

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
Hey guys,

So i have a 2009 monarch 4.2 high volume shock on my 2006 enduro elite, problem is im heavy (120kg) and i have to run the pressure in the shock at about 320psi to get 28-30%sag. Because of this i keep blowing seals.

I have been trying to work out a way to reduce my pressures but to maintain a decent sag level ie between 25 and 30 %.

I have the high volume air can in 8.5 x 2.5 and i notice on the sram web site that they also do a standard volume air can and a dual air can in this size.

my theory is that if i run the smaller air can it may help me with my sag and also help me to provide a bit more ramp up at the end of the travel???

Anyone have any ideas or other thoughts?
A smaller air can will help to increase ramp-up at the end of the stroke, but probably won't noticeably affect pressure at sag. Most of the air shocks are available in a range of compression tunes; if yours doesn't have the highest (ie stiffest) then getting it retuned could be well worthwhile. This should allow the damper do more of the work and take some pressure off the seals. Unfortunately, some bike have a fairly high leverage ratio (enduro's are moderately high), which means you'll always have to run higher pressures, and this also results in a lack of small bump compliance, as well as potentially blowing seals. Hate to say it dude, but your best bet is to get on the XC trails, pedal like crazy for a few months and lose some weight; your bike and your body will both thank you for it...

Beej1

I can't say for sure about the Monarch 4.2, but the 3.3 comes in 5 different tunes: A, B, C, D & E. I read somewhere what they all meant, but can't remember where. I vaguely remember that the different letters related to compression damping based on leverage ratio and riding style ... maybe?

Maybe you don't have the correct one for your bike/style combo?

All I know is that I've got E on my Nomad, which is what Santa Cruz specify.

mudmav

Likes Dirt
Yeah ive got an e tune as well for my specialized enduro which is the firmest tune they do.

Im not sure on the leverage ratio of my bike and wether it is falling or rising rate

Wiffle

Likes Dirt
Yeah ive got an e tune as well for my specialized enduro which is the firmest tune they do.

Im not sure on the leverage ratio of my bike and wether it is falling or rising rate
Is your shock mounted vertically or horizontally? Going off the data I have (which was provided by Linkage), if vertical, it's a falling rate for the first 70% of travel and then rises slightly for the last 30%. If horizontal, it's essentially a falling rate. Both start at about 2.9:1, dropping to 2.5 then back to 2.7, or dropping constantly to about 2.3 (respectively). Custom tuning perhaps?

mudmav

Likes Dirt
Is your shock mounted vertically or horizontally? Going off the data I have (which was provided by Linkage), if vertical, it's a falling rate for the first 70% of travel and then rises slightly for the last 30%. If horizontal, it's essentially a falling rate. Both start at about 2.9:1, dropping to 2.5 then back to 2.7, or dropping constantly to about 2.3 (respectively). Custom tuning perhaps?

Yeah its the 2006 modle so the one with the horizontal shock!

yeah i had a play around with linkage last night, but thanks for the info.

Im considering putting a coil shock in it, i do ride it all mountain/xc style but im pretty sure it will still pedal half decently.