Rockshox fork question

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
On my Lyrik RCT3 which are 2017 the same airshaft gives 10mm less travel when used on 29" chassis over 27.5".

Is this still the case for 2019 and on?

I ask as a mate tells me that the different chassis doesn't make a difference on Fox 36 so the same shaft gives the same travel on 29" / 27.5" and wondered if Rockshox got onto the same thing too for 2020 onwards.

I've a 2020 Lyrik at 160 on 29" and fancy buying a 160mm 27.5 Lyrik so I can swap the shafts and have a 27.5 at 170mm and the 29" at 150mm.

Hope this makes sense. I appreciate your perspectives.

moorey

call me Mia
Should be 20mm difference between 27.5/29 I thought. 10 between 26/27.5. At least on my spare shafts. (Older models).
Not answering your actual question sorry. Can’t help you there.

moorey

call me Mia
Again, purely from limited experience. Others will be more helpful. Obviously from a pike, but shafts were sold as interchangeable with lyriks

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thanks Moorey, it's what I know of them too from current and past models.

I'm sure they're the same with current models but would rather not buy thinking I can do something and then have to get another airshaft to actually make it work as planned.

Nambra

Definitely should have gone to specsavers
Interesting question @The Reverend - the current Rockshox spare parts catalog doesn't mention different travels for various wheel sizes for the newer Pike and Lyrik air shafts, only the older Pike. Maybe flick an email to Aiden at Cyclinic to confirm? His website lists the C1 air spring as appearing to be the same travel for both 29 or 27.5 forks - perhaps there is no difference in travel between wheel sizes anymore?

mark22

Likes Dirt
On my Lyrik RCT3 which are 2017 the same airshaft gives 10mm less travel when used on 29" chassis over 27.5".

Is this still the case for 2019 and on?

I ask as a mate tells me that the different chassis doesn't make a difference on Fox 36 so the same shaft gives the same travel on 29" / 27.5" and wondered if Rockshox got onto the same thing too for 2020 onwards.

I've a 2020 Lyrik at 160 on 29" and fancy buying a 160mm 27.5 Lyrik so I can swap the shafts and have a 27.5 at 170mm and the 29" at 150mm.

Hope this makes sense. I appreciate your perspectives.
The new C1 air shafts are the same travel for 29"-27.5" fitted one one to my Lyrik recently. Link

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Adding a question on to the end of this search result.

Just back from a week away and the 2021 SID Select on my Transition feels a bit sticky after only 290km, there is noticeable stiction on the fork.

So I was heading down to pull it apart but I see it needs 0w-30 oil.

I can see this 0W30 oil but what are people using ? What is the equivalent generic oils being used.

Here I have - Fox 20 Gold, Fox 10 Red, Fox Float and a generic 5WT bottle of suspension oil.

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Ideally you want Motorex Supergliss 100K from dougal at Shock Craft in NZ, zee germans sell it by the litre too. an oil with a 40 degree cst of 100 is ideal for spash lube.

ozzybmx

Cheers @link1896, looks like I can get 250ml from him for around $30 shipped.

Might grab a couple of bottles and some seal kits as I have their Pikes and Lyriks here that need some love.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Adding a question on to the end of this search result.

Just back from a week away and the 2021 SID Select on my Transition feels a bit sticky after only 290km, there is noticeable stiction on the fork.

So I was heading down to pull it apart but I see it needs 0w-30 oil.

I can see this 0W30 oil but what are people using ? What is the equivalent generic oils being used.

Here I have - Fox 20 Gold, Fox 10 Red, Fox Float and a generic 5WT bottle of suspension oil.

View attachment 376503
Is that just the oil that sits in the bottom? I found just good old Castrol Bar and Chain lube as it sticks a bit. And a liberal layer of Rockshox PTFE Grease over the seal and bushings. I'll upload a photo of the Grease when I get home

ozzybmx

Is that just the oil that sits in the bottom? I found just good old Castrol Bar and Chain lube as it sticks a bit. And a liberal layer of Rockshox PTFE Grease over the seal and bushings. I'll upload a photo of the Grease when I get home
Thanks.

Yeah its 10ml syringed onto the bottom of each leg and soak the foam rings with the same oil.

I am only doing a lower leg inspection, lube and clean.

ozzybmx

So after a couple of hours swatting on a load of other forums, I went down and pulled the legs off.

I reckon there would have been about 1ml of oil come out of the spring leg and 2-3ml in the damper, there was also a few pieces of a funny black fluff stuff, nearly looked like plastic or scored paint but there was nothing out of place.

10ml of Fox 20Gold in each leg and the semi dry rings soaked in 20Gold, she's now back to slipping like a good-un.

Will order the gear from ShockCraft tomorrow and replace the 20Gold when it arrives. Need to work out what seal-kits we need.

Reckon I will swap the factory seals on these SID's for some SKF or similar.

ozzybmx

Grabbed a litre of the Supergliss 100k for $26au from BikeComponents.

I've had a basket sitting for a couple of weeks, includes a load of tyres for the boys and my 77Designz stem.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Damn sticky. Like honey. Especially when cold. You sure that stuff is suitable?
Hmmmm, yeah, I've never had an issue with it being too thick. I got the idea off someone else on here. It's not dealing with sawdust. It still runs out the bottom just fine after a couple months, and it made a noticeable difference to how long they stayed smooth for.

But.

This changed the game completely.

I'm about two months overdue for a lowers service and it's still buttery smooth. In fact I serviced them for the Dirty Weekend in May and haven't felt the need to redo them.

@ozzybmx I coat Every. Single. Damn. Sliding surface. Air shaft, damper shift, only a little bit on the air piston seal or you'll block the equalisation port, bushings. Everywhere.

Reckon I will swap the factory seals on these SID's for some SKF or similar.
Not saying don't bother, but even with all the different lubes I tried, mine took forever to loosen up.

Let me know what happens if you do change tho

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Grabbed a litre of the Supergliss 100k for $26au from BikeComponents.

I've had a basket sitting for a couple of weeks, includes a load of tyres for the boys and my 77Designz stem.

That's cheap and a litre will last for ages.

kten

understands stuff moorey doesn't
Hmmmm, yeah, I've never had an issue with it being too thick.

@ozzybmx I coat Every. Single. Damn. Sliding surface. Air shaft, damper shift, only a little bit on the air piston seal or you'll block the equalisation port, bushings. Everywhere.
Blocking the equalisation port with grease is a bit of a furphy imo. Even a small amount of pressure will clear the grease so a fork getting over 50psi will have no issue.

Supergliss 100k is good but definitely only for use in summer when it's warm.

ozzybmx

Supergliss 100k is good but definitely only for use in summer when it's warm.
It doesn't get that cold here in rAdelaide. Minimum 3° and if I'm out riding in that at 5am, it will be on a gravel bike. It's usually 10°+ at the coldest for me on nightride.

Here's a post on MTBR where Dougal says at 5° he notices 100k slowing down.
(I read this yesterday, it's took me 20mins to find it again)