Rockshox Pike Forks - Metal shavings in Non Drive

Korbzy

Likes Bikes
2015 Forks, just did my first lower leg service. Pulled apart forks, cleaned up and at the bottom of the non drive side I found some metal shavings, seems they wern't cleaned properly after they were machined. This has now caused some damage to the inner bushes. Has this happened to anyone before ? I was thinking about sending rockshox an email but can't seem to find any details for Australia.

Pictures of the damaged Area

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Are they stripped threads from the bolt that hold the lowers on ?
Also, is that machining around the dropout standard ? Never owned pikes and haven't noticed on other sets.

redbruce

Eats Squid
2015 Forks, just did my first lower leg service. Pulled apart forks, cleaned up and at the bottom of the non drive side I found some metal shavings, seems they wern't cleaned properly after they were machined. This has now caused some damage to the inner bushes. Has this happened to anyone before ? I was thinking about sending rockshox an email but can't seem to find any details for Australia.

Pictures of the damaged Area
Yep, the 2010 Fox F RLC (26) that came with my Yeti ASR frame.

Thankfully no damage but I had them serviced at 30 hrs due to performance issues and so caught early.

LBS said was common with aftermarket Fox at the time.

Haven't heard or seen it on my or others RS, but is why I service all my new forks at 30 hours.

Last edited:

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Are they stripped threads from the bolt that hold the lowers on ?
Also, is that machining around the dropout standard ? Never owned pikes and haven't noticed on other sets.
Yeah that`s what it looks like to me too . From your picture it looks as though you have no thread left and might need a recoil , correct me if I`m wrong .

MarioM

Likes Dirt
Yeah that`s what it looks like to me too . From your picture it looks as though you have no thread left and might need a recoil , correct me if I`m wrong .
Just enlarged your picture and it appears you have no thread left hence the shavings that look like thread coils . 2015 , were they bought new or secondhand ? Was the bolt a bitch to unscrew or did it kinda fall off ?

link1896

Mr Greenfield
SRAM are the parent company of Rock shox

SRAM Australia

6 Macro Court Rowville

03 9212 6100

But they are going to send you to your LBS

How does the stanchions coating look?

moorey

call me Mia
Just enlarged your picture and it appears you have no thread left hence the shavings that look like thread coils . 2015 , were they bought new or secondhand ? Was the bolt a bitch to unscrew or did it kinda fall off ?
They're not meant to be threaded, are they? The threaded shaft slides through. Or are pikes different to what I'm used to working on?

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
There is never thread in the holes in the lower - the bolts pass through & screw into the ends of the internal shafts.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
But are they the threads off the bolt or the damper or air Spring shaft ?

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
They're not meant to be threaded, are they? The threaded shaft slides through. Or are pikes different to what I'm used to working on?
You are correct oh vegan one.

The retaining bolt threads into the air piston shaft, the hole in the lowers is not threaded.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1465469900.755448.jpg

tomacropod

Likes Dirt
Often grab those exact pieces of swarf out of pikes. Usually they're from the tapered recess where the air shaft sits. If they're not in a thousand pieces they probably haven't damaged anything.

-Joel

Korbzy

Likes Bikes
There is never thread in the holes in the lower - the bolts pass through & screw into the ends of the internal shafts.

This, they aren't threaded. It's a recess and it just looks like a poor finish and wernt deburred. The old oil was dirt free and unfortunately had small ground shavings in it . There are some marks on the stanchion, nothing too serious but it's just sad that a $1100 fork went cleaned before assembly.

Might call SRAM and give them some feed back atleast. Best way to contact??

Last edited:

Jeeves

Likes Bikes
The little rings of metal are from the lower leg holes and form when the shafts are pulled in to their interference fit on the first installation (ie factory assembly).

there is no way they can be floating around inside the fork unless the lowers have been removed and reinstalled without removing the little rings.

I see it on many of the Pikes I service, I've never seen them cause damage.

keep in mind that Rock Shox/SRAM recommend a lowers service every 50 hours and a full service every 100 hours.

Typically for me, this is about every 3 to 4 months for lowers. (3 to 4 hours a week).

If your Pikes are 2015 model, it's highly likely, you've pushed those service intervals and little filings you can see in the oil is actual wear and tear.

I've seen the black anodizing wear off the lower part of the stanchion after heavy use without service inside the first 12 months.

A lowers service in a Pike is almost child's play.

Tools required:

Saftey glasses & nitrile gloves
Shock pump
5mm allen key
2.5mm allen key
plastic or rubber mallet
0/30w RX Pike oil
Slick Honey, Slickoleum
isopropyl alcohol
Syringe with at least 5ml capacity and markings.
plastic or wooden dowel
clean lint free rags

Remove air from top left of fork, record PSI with shock pump to save time.
2.5mm allen key remove red rebound adjuster.
5mm allen key loosen both foot bolts and un-thread to about 5 or 6mm out.
with fork horizontal tap foot bolts with mallet until the shafts break free of lowers, un-thread foot bolts out.
slide lowers off and keep horizontal, fish out pesky swarf rings with a seal or dental pick or tweezers.

tip lowers upside down over oil tray and let oil drain, clean with isopropyl and a lint free rag on a plastic or wooden dowel.

inspect stanchions and shafts for wear.
inspect damper side side seal head, if it has an energizer spring, write down 10ml if it does not, write down 5ml.

apply slick honey to dust seals and upper bushes.
remove energizer rings and slide them up the stanchions.
install the lowers about 5 or 6cm's

with fork horizontal, use syringe to squirt 15ml of 0/30w Pike oil into the air side foot bolt hole.
they squirt 5 or 10ml into damper side hole.
slide lowers all the way on and engage both foot bolts, tighten to 7Nm
install energizer rings, rebound adjuster and pressurize air spring.

cycle fork several times and say "mmmm buttery smooooth"