RockShox Standard for Direct Mount Stems

lindsay

Likes Dirt
RockShox Sets Standard for Direct Mount Stems

Colorado Springs, CO – January 9, 2004

SRAM is proud to announce a RockShox standard for direct mounting stems to Boxxer upper crowns. This new standard allows stems to be directly mounted to the Boxxer’s upper crown via four threaded holes in the top of the crown. While integrated stems are not a new concept, the idea of establishing a bicycle-specific standard for stem manufacturers to follow is.

“We are really excited about the introduction of this RockShox standard,” states BlackBox and Boxxer Product Manager Jeremiah Boobar. “This will allow riders the benefit of weight reduction, greater control and, most importantly, that the bars will remain straight in relation to the wheel after a crash. It also gives all of our customers choices in the stems they can use on their Boxxer”.

Boobar notes that the stem-bolt standard was born out of BlackBox, SRAM’s race development program. For the past two seasons BlackBox athletes have benefited from the use of the BlackBox Integrated Stem System. At the same time, manufacturers expressed interest in producing their own stems to mount on the BlackBox crown. “After the first year we wanted to give manufacturers the ability to direct mount to our crowns. We chose to wait until we could also commit to producing this upper crown before making it available industry wide,” he stated.

While this new upper crown will not be available to the public until Model Year 2005 (September ‘04), SRAM and RockShox wants all stem and suspension manufacturers to have the ability to tool-up if they choose to.

“It is our goal for this standard to be adopted by the industry, but until another suspension manufacturer decides to come on board, it will remain a RockShox standard,” adds Boobar. Stem manufacturers already committed to this standard include S.I.C., Tioga, and Easton.

For diagrams and more specific information please refer to SRAM’s website, www.sram.com/tech-info/index.asp and follow through the links – ‘Manuals and More’ – ‘Manufacturers’ – ‘User Specifications and Standards.’

S.

ex offender
Can't hurt...

I wish when fork manufacturers etc tried to introduce a new (open) standard, that they'd actually talk with each other to make sure that it would actually happen. Seriously, if Manitou had talked with RS and Marz to introduce 1.5, EVERYONE would be all over it (and it is a clearly superior system) and there wouldn't be the bitching about "oh it's just marketing" etc. I imagine Manitou and Marz will also try to stay away from any kind of standard RS introduce as well, just for the sake of it.

Rik

logged out
I'll agree with that, so many companies shun "standards" for the sake of it, but really, if everyone worked on the same dimensions, everyone would win. Proprietry systems are just no good.

Squidly Didly

Has Been
Staff member
Rik said:
I'll agree with that, so many companies shun "standards" for the sake of it, but really, if everyone worked on the same dimensions, everyone would win. Proprietry systems are just no good.
ISIS bottom brackets is a wonderful example. That gave Shimano a good boot up the rectal passage!
But yeh, I still like the idea of the integrated crown/stem.

looseunit

Likes Dirt
Funny that they can intruduce a new fork crown stem starndard and still not even use international starrdard brake mounts on their forks. This new stanard is a joke

S.

ex offender
looseunit said:
Funny that they can intruduce a new fork crown stem starndard and still not even use international starrdard brake mounts on their forks. This new stanard is a joke
hahahaha good point...

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
HAHHAAH. Very true!

Its just another redpill. Oh looky looky were making something cool...

Oh it will be out in 2018 :p

wombat

Lives in a hole
j5ive said:
Its just another redpill. Oh looky looky were making something cool...

Oh it will be out in 2018 :p
But in the mean time we'll keep you amused with 101 useless websites; isn't that a great demonstration of our R&D prowess?

toodles

Wheel size expert
Wouldn't it be bloody great if the bicycle industry had to work to ISO 9000+ standards. Woo truly interchangable parts. None of this f*cking around with adaptors everytime you want to switch something or having to replace half your driveline because of one component. Problem is the industry moves so quickly that it's hard to discerne between innovative product evolution and just another attempt to monopolise componentry.

Oh and back on topic, and integratred stem system for Boxxers would have to make them the lightest DH fork by a bit wouldn't it?

looseunit

Likes Dirt
Goldtec have also been making crown for boxxers for years. I had an early one that cracked, i rang up and enquired about warenty only to find out that i was the only the second person to break one. THey offerd to make me a thicker one I declined because I just got monsters. They still gave me warrenty on anything in there range. Much to my surprise in the next months issue of dirt there were photos of a new boxxer crown and stem because two broke. So my vote goes to the goldtec version of the top crown stem.

Daver

Kung Fu Panda
interesting... it almost makes me want to buy some of these new fangled boxxers... would this make the forks feel any stiffer?

I mean, if they were close in stiffness to 888s then i'd probably buy a Team or even Worldcup!!!