Rockshox Yari RC vs Xfusion Vengeance

tim3638

Smith of hammers curious
As the title suggest I have both the a Yari RC that came on my new GT Sanction (2019) and an Xfusion Vengeance as a spare in the shed. What fork would you run on the bike considering I will probably sell what I don't use? Other factors are:

-the rear shock is a Fox vanilla rc coil, is it better to have coil front and rear? ie favour the vengeance.
-the vengeance is 20mm axle, the yari is 15x110. So I would need to track down a 27.5 x 20mm if I decide to use the vengeance ( I only have a 20mm wheel in 26 inch)
-would you consider running the bike with 26 inch wheels? I would then have the correct front wheel but need a 142x 12 26 inch wheel for the back.
-the bike came with Sram guide brakes but I am also considering swapping them out for an older set of codes I have in the shed or possibly some shimano deore, what would you use?
-it has a sram GX 10 speed drive train, every other bike I have is shimano and I must admit I am a shimano fan, should I just put shimano on it or run the gx with shimano cassette and chain?

As always feedback from the Rotor Burn brains trust is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Vengeance with roughcut or not? If roughcut yes, if older then no. The older ones were quiet sticky off the top, tracked well once into the stroke.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I'd keep the yari over the vengeance. Vengeance is a good fork but yari is a lyrik with a cheaper damper unit and the lyrik is a much better fork. If you need extra goodies out of the yari, swap in a charger damper and you'll be laughing.

And I'd probably keep the driveline and brakes too, at least until I found some bargains. Saves a bunch of stuffing around and expenses for probably minimal gain. I prefer Shimano too, but not enough to waste money swapping it all out.

Enjoy them new bike feels and jump on some upgrades when you can't stand the thought of how much better the ride could be.

And build another bike with those other parts, win-win!

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

oliosky

Likes Bikes and Dirt
  • keep the yari and buy a charger damper (at a later date if neccesary)
  • dont run it with 26" wheels. It will be shit.
  • Do a regular bleeds (or get someone to) of your guides and they will be amazing. Much better than old codes. And they will feel better than shimano.
  • 10 speed sram will be fine.

tim3638

Smith of hammers curious
A big thank you to everyone who has replied. At the moment I am thinking.

-Run the GX drive train. I can use all my 10 speed parts ie chians and cassettes.
-Leaning towards the codes as I have a number of unused sets of pads in the shed and this should last me for years and guides should be easy enough to sell.
-Does anyone know what bolt kit the rear shock needs on a 2019 Sanction?
-The clear response here is keep the Yari but I tend to keep my bikes for ages once I have them set up correctly and an easy to service open bath Vengeance is appealing for its simplicity of maintenance. Having said that I have not ridden a Yari are they really that much better?

Thanks once again.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Dunno if the yari is better, but the lyrik definitely is. Vengeance was an ace fork pointed down, but I reckon it lacked in mid stroke support so wasn't as much fun for trail use. Lyrik damper felt just as supple in the initial stroke but still feels great on flatter trails.

You're probably right about servicing the vengeance, but the yari is open bath too. Maybe service the yari nice and easy till you feel like upgrading it to lyrik levels with a new damper?

Shredden

Knows his goats
Dunno if the yari is better, but the lyrik definitely is.
I could be missing something, but I'm fairly sure the 2019 Yari is the same as previous years Lyriks? Mine certainly has the charger damper rather than the motion control they used to have.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
I could be missing something, but I'm fairly sure the 2019 Yari is the same as previous years Lyriks? Mine certainly has the charger damper rather than the motion control they used to have.

Well that'd put a nail in the coffin for the vengeance then!

Flow-Rider

Burner
The old Vengeance are a good fork but they do suffer from high speed spikes over the very rough trails which you can almost eliminate with replacing the oil in the damper, they have a very stiff chassis on them and quite good for cornering at high speeds. It's impossible to get new certain weighted springs for the coil models these days though.

tim3638

Smith of hammers curious
Once again thanks to everyone for their responses.

-Shredden: my Yari does not state the damper. It only has 'debon air' labelling. It is a 2019 Yari RC with 180 mm of travel. Do you know if there is anyway I could determine the damper?

-Flow-Rider: currently I am around 85 kg but tend to fluctuate a couple of kg's either way. Maybe I should switch from the 'stock to a 'firm' coil. Is this one of the impossible to obtain coils? I have read some fox coils fit (older 36's) is this correct?

-Also if I decide to go with the vengeance it is a straight 1 1/8 steerer, will I need an entire new headset or can I just get a new crown race?

Once again thanks everyone, your input is appreciated.

Shredden

Knows his goats
Shredden: my Yari does not state the damper. It only has 'debon air' labelling. It is a 2019 Yari RC with 180 mm of travel. Do you know if there is anyway I could determine the damper?
Mine says charger on the compression adjust knob.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
Fwiw, I still think you're trying too hard for a solution to a problem you don't have.

But if you want I may have an easy solution to your straight steerer to tapered head tube dilemma. If you can shoot me a pic of your crown race I'll let you know if I think it'll work...