POS Rocky Instinct

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Recently acquired a new frameset to replace my Pivot 429 carbon (which i'd loved, but wanted more travel.. and no room for two in the shed).

Frame - RM Instinct 999 MSL 2014
Rear shock - Fox Float CTD factory remote
Front shock/fork - Pike RCT3 29 140mm
Handlebars - FSA -SLK 680mm
Stem - FSA SLK 80mm
Headset - Cane creek forty integrated
Grips - Esi extra chunky
Saddle - WTB/pivot volt
Seatpost - FSA SLK
Front brake - XT M785 180mm
Rear brake - XT M785 160mm
Cranks - Sram XX1
BB - Sram GXP
Chain - Sram XX1
Chainring - WTC direct mount 30T
Pedals - Shimano XTR trail
Rear derailleur - Sram XX1
Rear shifter - Sram XX1
Cassette - Sram XX1
Front hub - Stans 3.3hd
Rear hub - Stans 3.3hd
Front rim - Stans flow EX 29
Rear rim - Stans flow EX 29
Tyre front - Maxxis Highroller 2 EXO 3C
Tyre rear - Maxxis Ardent LUST
Weight - 12.6kg

So far I've spent a week on it at Thredbo where it performed better than I had ever hoped, was definitely an interesting place to adapt to a new bike, but worth it! I will say that on my home XC track it definitely feels harder to get in and through the tight stuff, however I was expecting that. At Del Rio on the weekend it was unreal :D
I'm still experimenting with the ride9 chip system, I flipped it to the max_descender setting and have only flipped them back once for a short run round the local, can't say I noticed a great deal of difference. Watch this space.

Plans for the bike:
1. Add a reverb stealth ASAP
2. Replace the FSA bars with some 720mm bars ASAP
3. Swap the tyres, ardent is 12+ months old and starting to deteriorate, was originally on the front of the Pivot. i hung them up on the wall for 3 weeks while I did the frame swap, they both have a wobble in the tread pattern. Rookie mistake
4. Some wide LB carbon rims with hope or DT hubs.
5. Ride the fucking thing heapsssss!

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thredbo proved to be the perfect place to get this machine dialled in to suit my hack-style of riding. Played with the air, dropped out two tokens up front, Rotated the large chip forward and run. Rinse and repeat 16 times in 3 days. Awesome

Couldn't go to shredbo without going out and back on the valley trail.. what an awesome ride out it was! Three beers at the bar and the ride home was a little interesting.. Cramps with 2km to go near killed me haha

Jubas

Likes Dirt
Rode the alloy version in BC and instantly fell in love with this bike. If only I could justify an n+1, but even my current bike doesn't get enough ride time :(

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Perfect bike. Perfect spec (once you apply that Reverb). Bastard.
Haha not wrong! At Del Rio last week I was screaming for a dropper!

Luckily a fellow burner and Rocky fan is helping me out with a reverb stealth for a stupidly awesome price! Will owe him a few pints!

Sounds crazy but I am looking forward to getting this thing dirty at the Mont and seeing just how different it is from the Pivot.

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
First XC race on this guy yesterday! Was awesome. Managed p3 in category. Didn't fell that I missed out when climbing, the lockout on the rocky is insane. But as soon as it turned to descent or tech it absolutely owned. I loved my pivot but have not missed it once since making the switch.

uploadfromtaptalk1426402749938.jpg

Ky1e

Likes Bikes and Dirt
When I first built up the Rocky I bought a set of Stans Flow's through the distributor. I'd always intended to fit the Rocky out with some carbon wheels at some point. It's taken me some time but I finally got my arse in to gear and got it done.

Ended up going with Nextie 29" rims, DH layup, 35mm outer, 3K matte. Hope pro2 hubs, DT supercomp spokes and the XD driver body.
Mounted up a near new HR2 and Ardent tonight, no stans on the shelf, no dramas!

I also found a crack in the left chainstay which wasn't so cool.. However RMB Australia are bloody awesome and will be replacing it for me as soon as it's back from the Kempsey Rollercoaster this weekend!! Cheers Rocky!

Didn't measure the difference in weight, but they are lighter and definitely stronger than the Flow's.