Rocky Mountain Slayer

teK--

Eats Squid
Went 4 months without a mod. That's gotta be a record :eek:

One of the things I was struggling with was getting the Fox 36 air spring to be really supple off the top but having enough mid stroke support. (the same feel I had on the DVO diamond). I had to run close to 30% sag which wasn't great to keep the front high in the travel when I needed it.

The DSD Runt popped up on my radar. Design is very similar to the SD Components DVC, and the Chickadeehill AWK.

Basically splits the positive air chamber into 2. The new second (high pressure) chamber allows tuning of the spring curve so mid stroke and bottom out can be tuned. Because the second chamber is separated by a floating piston, as the first chamber equalises with it, itself is able to increase in size thus reducing the usual ramp up effect of running volume spacers.

What I've been able to do is run a fairly soft initial stroke with 20% sag, and a firmer mid stroke with similar end stroke to previous. It feels great in most terrain as it keeps the fork riding higher so there is less tuck in corners. Also the front wheel is less likely to get stuck in holes and between rocks.

Have had a couple of rides and so far still playing around with the pressures a bit, but so far it is promising.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Nice air time shot.

So that part just bolts in where the fox air chamber was? Why aren't suspension companies putting shit like this on their forks as stock?

teK--

Eats Squid
Nice air time shot.

So that part just bolts in where the fox air chamber was? Why aren't suspension companies putting shit like this on their forks as stock?
Cheers.

Yeah take off the top cap, then this cartridge just screws in place of it. Pump air in both chambers then you're good to go.

The Manitou Mattoc has their IRT air spring, and Ohlins has the RXF36. Both use the same concept.

I suspect Fox and Rockshox don't offer it due to patents, or because it adds another level of complication that most people don't want when they set up their fork.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Is that rolled bits of inner tube?

I've been meaning to test out (roadie) bar tape. I have a good feeling about it.

teK--

Eats Squid
Is that rolled bits of inner tube?

I've been meaning to test out (roadie) bar tape. I have a good feeling about it.
Looks like they cut lengths of road inner tube or some other type of rubber tubing, then laid a strip of mastic tape along the top to hold it all together.

teK--

Eats Squid
I thought I felt an itch and realised it has been 4 months again!

The Float X2 was soon due for a service. And what better money spent on an upgrade instead :D

Took a while to find a spring which balanced my criteria:

Settled on the SAR spring after reading only good things about them.

Aside from +/- 1.5% accuracy, their spacer system are also a tight interference fit. This eliminates almost all spring rattle even when running close to 0 preload.

Complete weight is an extra 180g over the air shock so pretty happy with that.

Weather was shithouse all weekend so this is as far as I got. Can't wait to hit the dirt.

Last edited:

teK--

Eats Squid
Thought I'd share a cool little gizmo.

More and more I've moved stuff out of my backpack and onto the bike.

Got tired of having one of those tool canisters in a bottle cage. Was carrying too much crap I don't really need anyway.

CBF with cost or trouble of a Oneup EDC.

The Fork Cork installs with an expander bung in the steerer.

Am quite surprised how much stuff I fit up there:

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
where does one obtain such a fine piece of kit?...looks like something I would use for sure, I hate having "bits" in my hyd pack

mas2

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Thought I'd share a cool little gizmo.

More and more I've moved stuff out of my backpack and onto the bike.

Got tired of having one of those tool canisters in a bottle cage. Was carrying too much crap I don't really need anyway.

CBF with cost or trouble of a Oneup EDC.

The Fork Cork installs with an expander bung in the steerer.

Am quite surprised how much stuff I fit up there:

View attachment 356075

View attachment 356076
Can you please breakdown everything you have in there?

teK--

Eats Squid
Can you please breakdown everything you have in there?
Sure;

3x medium zip ties
3x thin zip ties
Tubeless tyre plug tool
5x tubeless tyre plugs in the canister
About 1metre of gaffa tape wrapped around the canister.
Chain quick link
Spare pedal pins short/long
Rotor bolt (doubles as a cleat bolt)
Wolftooth dropper lever axle (they snap off in a crash)
Valve core
Valve core tool

Took a bit of trial and error to get everything to fit and packed in snug so there are no rattles at all.

Basically all i carry in my backpack is a small hand pump, and a multi-tool.

If I ride with mates who have the Oneup EDC I won't even carry the multi-tool hah.