Rocky Trail's SHIMANO MTB Grand Prix Series 2011

fezi

Likes Dirt
was just wondering what the length of the track will be and how technical is awaba for us people with no ability ( namely me ) , in comparison to stromlo from last year , del rio , blue gum lodge and yarromundee . many thanks and see everyone at awaba.:)

Hopefully its the full track at around 12km. If not it'll be around 8km. Hopefully its the full course to spread us out a bit, and please don't put us up the switch back climb... send us straight up the camelbak climb. Track is ridable for most everyone, gets better the faster you ride it

trailburner

Rocky Trail Entertainment
Any info on the course for Awaba...red or blue loop?
Most likely the longer one. We are heading to Coffs tomorrow for the DH round there. On the way back we plan a stop and check out which track we will use. So more info on Tuesday.

sclyde2

Likes Dirt
Hopefully its the full track at around 12km. If not it'll be around 8km. Hopefully its the full course to spread us out a bit, and please don't put us up the switch back climb... send us straight up the camelbak climb. Track is ridable for most everyone, gets better the faster you ride it
are you riding 8hr solo?

toby

Likes Dirt
Really looking forward to the next Rocky Trail GP.... its been too long between races!

Awaba has to be one of my favourite tracks around and the Rocky Trail guys sure know how to put on a great race. Don't miss out on this one folks.

Highlighter Set

We got the legendary orange drinking bottles for all riders again - this time we made the 500ml version. A bit smaller to fit all bike frames plus in winter you won't need to drink that much anyways.
So after the day-glo yellow and now the bright orange, are next years going to be fluro pink or green to complete the highlighter set? :)

toby

Likes Dirt
I notice the 8 hour finishing time is 5pm... I'm assuming you can start your last lap anytime before then. Sunsets at 5ish... does this mean the last lap could be in the dark? Or do we need to bring lights!

Rida

Likes Bikes
I notice the 8 hour finishing time is 5pm... I'm assuming you can start your last lap anytime before then. Sunsets at 5ish... does this mean the last lap could be in the dark? Or do we need to bring lights!
It will be almost dark by 4pm on some parts of the Awaba course. My guess is that the last lap cut off will be brought forward to 4 or 4.30 so that you don't need to bring lights. You might need to pack your rain coat though :eek:

trailburner

It will be almost dark by 4pm on some parts of the Awaba course. My guess is that the last lap cut off will be brought forward to 4 or 4.30 so that you don't need to bring lights.
This is correct - we will be out there camping already on Friday night and will assess how long you can ride without it getting too dark. No need for lights because it will most likely be a 7 hour race rather than the full 8.
We will let you know the exact length at the rider briefing and post it on the info wall there as well.

The loop will be the full length loop - 11.8km in total including some never before raced new bits which is always exciting in Awaba!
The climb will most likely be switchbacks and not optional/the steep route but we will confirm this on raceday.

Lots of registrations are coming in now and we are pumped. We just had a great weekend in Coffs Harbour wrapping up the RedAss NSW/ACT Downhill State Series and now are eager to see some XC action again.

Australia

Likes Bikes and Dirt
please say the add in is flat.

Also, I'm in characteristically poor form, I reckon it would be awesome if the 8 hour could become a 6 hour or thereabouts. :D

jimnobob

Likes Bikes
I notice there is a proposed junior loop. Will their be a kids race? If so then do we need to do anything to pre-register or is it just a case of turning up on the day?

I've not told my son and he would be stoked if this is happening especially after the disappointment of The Mont and the pre-registration being unclear plus booked up well in advance.

trailburner

I notice there is a proposed junior loop. Will their be a kids race? If so then do we need to do anything to pre-register or is it just a case of turning up on the day?

I've not told my son and he would be stoked if this is happening especially after the disappointment of The Mont and the pre-registration being unclear plus booked up well in advance.
There will definitely be a kids race - but not on that junior loop. It's a genaral map of the park. We might do it in the pump track for over 6 year olds and in the event centre for under 6 year olds.
We will take 'registrations' for the kids on the day and it is free of course. We aim to have it around lunchtime before the 4 hour guys finish their race at 1pm.

toby

Likes Dirt
Rocky Trail guys always do a great job of the kids race, haven't been to one of their events yet that doesn't feature a bunch of juniors with cheesy grins on bikes.

trailburner

The loop will be the full length loop - 11.8km in total including some never before raced new bits which is always exciting in Awaba!
Revising myself down:
I measured the track with my Garmin yesterday and it was more like 8.5 km in total - not sure if my Garmin was playing up.

Did 2 laps and rode until 5.15pm. We will let the last riders out at 4pm making it a 7 hour race instead of the full 8. This gives the last rider a good hour to complete the final lap which should be plenty.

Looking forward to the biggest MTB GP to date!