Rollercoaster powered by Flow - 2014 NSW State Series and Championships

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Hi Trailburner,

I noticed that the format listed on the website states "1 run on each track" could you please clarify if there will be a sighting/practice run for each track or if the race runs are "blind". I don't mind either way but would like to know in advance.

Regards, Michael.

trailburner

Rocky Trail Entertainment
Hi Trailburner,

I noticed that the format listed on the website states "1 run on each track" could you please clarify if there will be a sighting/practice run for each track or if the race runs are "blind". I don't mind either way but would like to know in advance.

Regards, Michael.
Hi Michael - it's 1 timed run per track. You will probably fit somewhere between 1 and 3 practice runs in per track.

Yarrahappinni

Likes Dirt

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Great choice of trails, will be a good test of rider fitness and rig choice.

Will the trails be closed to the public on race day?, as this was a definite problem at Stromlo earlier this year.

Looking forward to the series Martin

trailburner

Great choice of trails, will be a good test of rider fitness and rig choice.

Will the trails be closed to the public on race day?, as this was a definite problem at Stromlo earlier this year.

Looking forward to the series Martin
Tracks will be closed to the public but as you know it's quite tricky to enforce. However it is generally only a problem only at Stromlo and there we will use a LOT of bunting and signs this year!

demodv8

Likes Dirt
Can someone put names to the tracks ,The down hill is obvious or is it the all mountain track jelly leg hill roller coaster missing link? I'm not sure about the rest . cheers looks good

loc81

Likes Dirt
Can someone put names to the tracks ,The down hill is obvious or is it the all mountain track jelly leg hill roller coaster missing link? I'm not sure about the rest . cheers looks good
Don't quote me like I quoted you above ha ha but main run is full DH track spitting out and over to magic carpet then back out to fire road.
Then you make some calls and check that your will is in order before riding up to 5-ways and up demtel. Then you ride the AM switchbacks down to 5-ways, up that fire road next to jelly leg and into almost all of rollercoaster. Phew!
Demo trail? I'm thinking Jurassic etc but could be wrong.

My blog: www.justmytype81.wordpress.com
Stuff about stuff I like- bikes, music, food and laughs. Subscribe.

trailburner

Don't quote me like I quoted you above ha ha but main run is full DH track spitting out and over to magic carpet then back out to fire road.
Then you make some calls and check that your will is in order before riding up to 5-ways and up demtel. Then you ride the AM switchbacks down to 5-ways, up that fire road next to jelly leg and into almost all of rollercoaster. Phew!
Demo trail? I'm thinking Jurassic etc but could be wrong.
Very close!
The second trail we actually go up Jelly Leg climb a little (not all the way to the top) and turn right onto a very rarely used part which is fast and rough with an awesome berm.

DemoTrail: Start at the XC track until you hit the first fireroad after about 300m - turn left onto it and left again into Browns. Onto Short Meadows in reverse and Missing Link in reverse. Turn right at the fireroad and sprint a few hundred metres to the finish.

We also announced the location for Round 2 (drumroll) and the winner is: Kempsey.

pharcyde

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very close!
The second trail we actually go up Jelly Leg climb a little (not all the way to the top) and turn right onto a very rarely used part which is fast and rough with an awesome berm.

DemoTrail: Start at the XC track until you hit the first fireroad after about 300m - turn left onto it and left again into Browns. Onto Short Meadows in reverse and Missing Link in reverse. Turn right at the fireroad and sprint a few hundred metres to the finish.

We also announced the location for Round 2 (drumroll) and the winner is: Kempsey.
Just as I suspected, Browns, short Meadows & missing link will make a great warm up.
Also that right hander away from the last climb on Jellyleg will keep the flow really nice. Been too long between drinks for me at Ourimbah, can't wait to get back there.

Yarrahappinni

Likes Dirt
Kempsey Tracks

Here is a snippet of what you may expect from Kempsey for round 2.

[video=youtube;yb20u0u8hZQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb20u0u8hZQ[/video]

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Here is a snippet of what you may expect from Kempsey for round 2.

[video=youtube;yb20u0u8hZQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yb20u0u8hZQ[/video]
Got any trail profile data, Strava, map my ride or the like? Be keen to see the topography of the race trails, how much climbing and length of each run etc. Surface looks like typical gravelly hardpack, Similar to what I'm used to so that's a bonus. Looks like Lots of trails around the kempsey area, so will be keen to try some others while up there, not just the race trails.

Yarrahappinni

Likes Dirt
Got any trail profile data, Strava, map my ride or the like? Be keen to see the topography of the race trails, how much climbing and length of each run etc. Surface looks like typical gravelly hardpack, Similar to what I'm used to so that's a bonus. Looks like Lots of trails around the kempsey area, so will be keen to try some others while up there, not just the race trails.

Yes foxpuppet, the surface is good ol' eastcoast gravelly hardpack, there are 5 trails available from the top but here is a sample of a recent 3 track race we had. There are plenty of other trails to ride also at Kempsey & within 30min drive is 2 other good locations. If you want to get hooked up for a ride PM me.

kmorc race trails.jpg

kmorc race times.jpg
Race order was green, yellow, red to give you a gauge of times. Green is a tight XC trail with a bit of a pinch, yellow a flat out hold corner speed trail & red gives the jump skilled rider the advantage. The fastest time shown on the elevation was before we did some trail work (built some berms) on Big Mac, before any of you annul retentive types notice it.

kmorc bigmac elevation.jpg
Big Mac (red track) is possibly one of the trails we will race on.

kmorc strava tracks.jpg
Strava! yes the trails are stravafied, here is a quide to the main segments, but if you want to ride the trails the KMORC gang do social rides, Monday & Wednesday nights from 5.30pm & Saturday (pre beer) ride starts 3pm finishes at Golf Club 5pm. All rides meet & leave from the car park at the Golf club, just look for bikes and join in, all welcome. No preset course or type of ride, tends to go with the feeling of the riders on the day.

Riding from the car park to the top is approximately a 20min cruise which can be either all single track or just fire road or you can drive out to the tracks where West Street (tar ends, dirt starts) meets South Street (pretty original names for streets in Kempsey).

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
All trail racers (I've spoken to) on the Mid North Coast are chuffed with the decision from Rockytrail to bring a round of the Rollercoaster north for the winter.
I've got friends who live in kempsey (non riders) they were stoked to hear about it. This is what I think should be happening more. Regional towns with good trails getting the nod. Brings financial benefit to those places however small to begin with. This can be a great help to the host clubs and riders in the area in the long run.

If GE is going to grow I'd like to see more than 3 events for a series. While the Australian series is a great idea, it's beyond the realm of most to travel around the country for it, maybe a few rounds but not all of them.

But driving within NSW could see a lot of potential for our state series. Some destinations away from Sydney I would like to see as hosts -

South Coast/Tathra etc or anywhere the bermagui Dirt Surfers have built.
Blue Mountains
Far north coast - Murwilumbah/nightcap ranges area.
Armidale area
Snowy Mountains but not just Thredbo.
Coffs Harbour area

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
Yes foxpuppet, the surface is good ol' eastcoast gravelly hardpack, there are 5 trails available from the top but here is a sample of a recent 3 track race we had. There are plenty of other trails to ride also at Kempsey & within 30min drive is 2 other good locations. If you want to get hooked up for a ride PM me.

Strava! yes the trails are stravafied, here is a quide to the main segments, but if you want to ride the trails the KMORC gang do social rides, Monday & Wednesday nights from 5.30pm & Saturday (pre beer) ride starts 3pm finishes at Golf Club 5pm. All rides meet & leave from the car park at the Golf club, just look for bikes and join in, all welcome. No preset course or type of ride, tends to go with the feeling of the riders on the day.

Riding from the car park to the top is approximately a 20min cruise which can be either all single track or just fire road or you can drive out to the tracks where West Street (tar ends, dirt starts) meets South Street (pretty original names for streets in Kempsey).

Now that is a decent looking shuttle less setup. Not too difficult a ride up for all the moaners, nice trail length and not ALL downhill but still looked reasonably paced on the flat/ups!
Apart from 200 odd extra cars around the golf club, I reckon they would love the extra revenue as a staging area! Hopefully we can get out of shuttles for this round!

Really looking forward to this one!

Yarrahappinni

Likes Dirt
I've got friends who live in kempsey (non riders) they were stoked to hear about it. This is what I think should be happening more. Regional towns with good trails getting the nod. Brings financial benefit to those places however small to begin with. This can be a great help to the host clubs and riders in the area in the long run.

If GE is going to grow I'd like to see more than 3 events for a series. While the Australian series is a great idea, it's beyond the realm of most to travel around the country for it, maybe a few rounds but not all of them.

But driving within NSW could see a lot of potential for our state series. Some destinations away from Sydney I would like to see as hosts -

South Coast/Tathra etc or anywhere the bermagui Dirt Surfers have built.
Blue Mountains
Far north coast - Murwilumbah/nightcap ranges area.
Armidale area
Snowy Mountains but not just Thredbo.
Coffs Harbour area
GE is definately growing in the MNC region with 2 more areas being built now and ready soon.

I think a possible answer to a State series may to have a north & south series run separately but coming together close to Sydney for a grand final.

For example in the North we could have a 3 round series (one a month) at any combo of, Ourimbah, Paterson, Glenworth, Taree, Hastings, Kempsey, Coffs Harbour & Murwillumbah (and possibly Tamworth & Armidale). I would see your position in the relative series carry over to the grand final to see who is the grand poobar.