Roof top tents

Haakon

Not happy, Jan.
Are you saying the Kings tent bolts onto the roof of a French car? I'm missing some data points here...
Yes, you are. You can buy these funny things called “roof racks”. They’re cool, you should look them up ;)

Shredden

Knows his goats
My mate has an "iKamper" one on top of a GU Patrol Wagon. Hard to justify over $5k but its fucking nice, just such a well built piece of kit.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
If you’re not in croc country, I can’t see the point of rooftop tents. Get all set up and you can’t use the car, screw that.

We camp a lot, and I have many tents, but our current fave is a Coleman Instant Up Tent. Literally 2 minutes to put it up, then another 10 to peg the fly. We are eyeing off their new ones that has a vestibule and the fly blocks sunlight. We use a Futon double mattress and are comfy as. When unpowered, I run a solar panel, into an AGM battery to run the fridge, LED lights and charge our phones. Flat pack fire pit for heat.

edited, here's a pic, at Forrest.

Last edited:

pink poodle

Clinically Inane
I’m Okee Dokee with it, but a lot of campgrounds will only allow fire pits. Plus my flat pack has a built in hot plate and grill for cookering.
I don't camp very often. The last time I did (that I can remember) that involved formal camp sites there was places for fires (think national park or state forest type locations). Is this not a thing anymore?

Cardy George

Is not in gaol
I don't camp very often. The last time I did (that I can remember) that involved formal camp sites there was places for fires (think national park or state forest type locations). Is this not a thing anymore?
It is, but in these times of change, they're pretty inflexible on where and when and how much other shit will catch alight. Think of a Nun's girly bits, it drier than that out there. So if you want to camp away from the established sites so you're not sharing with a bogan (or twelve) you need to bring your own.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

Adminerotic
Staff member
It is, but in these times of change, they're pretty inflexible on where and when and how much other shit will catch alight. Think of a Nun's girly bits, it drier than that out there. So if you want to camp away from the established sites so you're not sharing with a bogan (or twelve) you need to bring you're own.
What if you dont want to bring your own bogan? Can you rent them?

rextheute

Likes Bikes
Southern Cross Tourer Tent - exxy ( relatively speaking ). But will buy once and it will last 20 yrs .

Or , buy a more 'reasonably' priced tent to test whether you actually like the idea , keeping in mind all the extra stuff required as stated by Lazmo etc .
chairs tables fridge lights battery etc .
Have you considered a small camper trailer ?
Meganne may be limited on ball weight - tow cap will be okay for a lighter touring trailer ,

But , you are paying for convienience , ease of use and robustness - not sure if an actual word .....
cheap is still cheap and certainly has a place - Aussies love cheap shit , but complain when it fails to proceed or last for the whole 3 days on a long weekend .
( see notes regarding Bogans in the preceding posts . )

ps - disclaimer . I have a camper trailer and a caravan , they are towed with an Aussie Bogan Ute , which works fine for me .
i have recently slept in my swag in the tub of ute . Very comfy ,and means i can have bike on towbar rack .

Enjoy the search , many rabbit holes await !

Haakon

Not happy, Jan.
Southern Cross Tourer Tent - exxy ( relatively speaking ). But will buy once and it will last 20 yrs .

Or , buy a more 'reasonably' priced tent to test whether you actually like the idea , keeping in mind all the extra stuff required as stated by Lazmo etc .
chairs tables fridge lights battery etc .
Have you considered a small camper trailer ?
Meganne may be limited on ball weight - tow cap will be okay for a lighter touring trailer ,

But , you are paying for convienience , ease of use and robustness - not sure if an actual word .....
cheap is still cheap and certainly has a place - Aussies love cheap shit , but complain when it fails to proceed or last for the whole 3 days on a long weekend .
( see notes regarding Bogans in the preceding posts . )

ps - disclaimer . I have a camper trailer and a caravan , they are towed with an Aussie Bogan Ute , which works fine for me .
i have recently slept in my swag in the tub of ute . Very comfy ,and means i can have bike on towbar rack .

Enjoy the search , many rabbit holes await !
Megane has a 70kg ball weight limit and will happily pull 500kg without brakes - its a 1350kg car so doesn't get pushed around too much. Have considered camper trailers, as well as selling the Meg and buying a Kangoo and fitting it out! Or get a better towing car - but its worth fuck all to sell and is a good car for what it is. May as well keep using it.

I reckon I might give this a go though https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/front-runner-roof-top-tent.html

Its the lightest one around I can find at 40kg, and has a lower profile when packed. Most basic RTT are around 60kg. Apparently they're about $1600 in Australia.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Hackon, why a roof top tent? What’s wrong with an earth top tent? Can you stand up in your 1.3 x 2.5 tent? Why the necessary attachment to your frog buzzbox ? Do you really want to use a ladder to get into your tent? I’d maybe consider a roof top tent on a troop carrier in FNQ or NT, just for croc city, but on a buzzbox anywhere else in Oz? Why? Bizarre? Looking forward to the negative adventures. All that money to turn an ok handling buzzbox into a top heavy wind noise fuel sucking POS. Not to mention 40kg + 80kg + 55kg + humping = f~cked roofracks and car. And the real bonus is you get to kip in sleeping bags... ok, no humping, coz the ad, says so, woohoo.