Roof top tents

Haakon

Keeps on digging
For a normal car, so weight and size perhaps a thing. Anyone got one?

Am toying with the idea of getting one for a bit of travelling.

The Kings one is tempting on price, but should I be spending more?

And at 60kg it’s not light - anything genuinely lightweight worth the expense?

foxpuppet

Eats Squid
For a normal car, so weight and size perhaps a thing. Anyone got one?

Am toying with the idea of getting one for a bit of travelling.

The Kings one is tempting on price, but should I be spending more?

And at 60kg it’s not light - anything genuinely lightweight worth the expense?
I’ve also been toying around with this idea for a while. Been so long since I’ve been camping. I almost got hipstered into buying the poler Le tente. Local distro had one half price but I missed out. It was still about double the price of the locally made ones, but pretty lightweight.

The video makes it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Haakon

Keeps on digging
I’ve also been toying around with this idea for a while. Been so long since I’ve been camping. I almost got hipstered into buying the poler Le tente. Local distro had one half price but I missed out. It was still about double the price of the locally made ones, but pretty lightweight.

The video makes it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Damn. Effortless erections is a big call...

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Haakon camping would be quite the sight
I’m assuming his idea of camping is a Holiday inn or similar competitively priced hotel chain of 3 stars or lower

Flow-Rider

Burner
Something like that looks horrible if you have to sleep in it during an overnight storm or heavy winds, every time you need to do a wee you'll need climb down the latter and wake up who ever else is in the tent. Those tent like swags are a better option and much cheaper.

Minlak

custom titis
https://www.howlingmoon.com.au/product/deluxe-rooftop-tent
Kings stuff is fine and fit for purpose and if you want cheap you will be hard pressed to beat them. How ver things like the company above are pure quality, light weight and strong. But you pay for that. If you are just going to camp for a few days here or there a couple of times a year get a tent. I love the Blackwolf camping stuff. Turbo tent especially so quick to put up and down.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Make sure it has plenty of ventilation. Even the cheapies are ok but search second hand. A lot of people buy rtt to go to the Cape then flog them afterwards. Upgrade the shocks for rumpy pumpy activity.

I have often contemplated the roof top tent, however I have come to the conclusion that they ain't for me

1. They are super exy for a tent

2. They weigh a buttload and I have no way of getting on and off my land cruiser. So extra fuel consumption, even worse aero (plus any noise it's going to make).

3. Once it's on the roof I can't use my roof for surfboards so easy anymore

4. What do I do if I want to go some where in my vehicle once it's set up.

I don't camp anywhere where I need to be off the ground ie crocs, land sharks etc, so a small quality tent is for me, one of those vehicle awnings would be nice though in case it's rainin (can still cook and sit outside)

Not agin em in principle, just don't suit my needs.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
I don't camp anywhere where I need to be off the ground ie crocs, land sharks etc, so a small quality tent is for me, one of those vehicle awnings would be nice though in case it's rainin (can still cook and sit outside)

Not agin em in principle, just don't suit my needs.
I have the same feeling about roof top tents. I can see how they would be good, but I've also owned a troopy before with a roofrack and know how much the extra weight and height affects the handling of a car.

I have a Toyota 4runner now and use a large tent for base out of one place for a few days, or a small hiking tent for quick overnighters. We have a King's side awning and it's great. It's not the best quality, but it does the job and makes all the difference when the weather's bad and means you don't have to retreat to the tent and can sit out in the rain. It pays to tie it down in strong winds though.. learnt that the hard way and had to bend it back into shape to be able to drive home.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
There are also times when you may not be able to camp alongside your car.

stirk

Burner
Unless you're camping in croc country I can't see any positives to having a massive and heavy tent on top of a car. The tent will load the roof racks to their intended load and then you and the partner get up there and start rocking the shocks, a little French car will crumble!

Flow-Rider

Burner
Unless you're camping in croc country I can't see any positives to having a massive and heavy tent on top of a car. The tent will load the roof racks to their intended load and then you and the partner get up there and start rocking the shocks, a little French car will crumble!
Haakon wants to load test the roof of the Alfa :D. He needs an old single cab hilux ute 4x4, they have a lot of room in the back tray.;)

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Load limits for the roof racks are I understand for the dynamic load whilst moving - stationary loads can be way more.

They’re also proper bolt on racks, not the clamp on. They bolt into the structure of the Megane’s roof. Have had more than 60kg in the roof pod before...

Dunno. Might give it a go.

stirk

Burner
I'd challenge Haakon to squeak a leaf in an old hilux tray!

A friend put a Kings brand tent on top of a Subaru XV, the edges of the tent base sagged over the roof racks and it just looked bloody stupid, a massive ten on a tiny car.

Very expensive light weight hard shell pop top tents would be the best option for this clam.

stirk

Burner
Load limits for the roof racks are I understand for the dynamic load whilst moving - stationary loads can be way more.

They’re also proper bolt on racks, not the clamp on. They bolt into the structure of the Megane’s roof. Have had more than 60kg in the roof pod before...

Dunno. Might give it a go.
Are you saying the Kings tent bolts onto the roof of a French car? I'm missing some data points here...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Never been an issue here, which in turn, can create problems.....
Always difficult when you are able to get your tent up quickly and easily. Suddenly everyone else in the caravan park wants to know your secret and is asking for help.

Get a small tent. It will fit neatly in the back of your car and you'll never notice it's there until you want it.

stirk

Burner
Always difficult when you are able to get your tent up quickly and easily. Suddenly everyone else in the caravan park wants to know your secret and is asking for help.

Get a small tent. It will fit neatly in the back of your car and you'll never notice it's there until you want it.
Small euro cars can only fit a baguette a bottle of wine and a lump of cheese in the boot hence the need for a roof top tent.