Roof top tents

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Are you saying the Kings tent bolts onto the roof of a French car? I'm missing some data points here...
Yes, you are. You can buy these funny things called “roof racks”. They’re cool, you should look them up ;)

Shredden

Knows his goats
My mate has an "iKamper" one on top of a GU Patrol Wagon. Hard to justify over $5k but its fucking nice, just such a well built piece of kit.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
If you’re not in croc country, I can’t see the point of rooftop tents. Get all set up and you can’t use the car, screw that.

We camp a lot, and I have many tents, but our current fave is a Coleman Instant Up Tent. Literally 2 minutes to put it up, then another 10 to peg the fly. We are eyeing off their new ones that has a vestibule and the fly blocks sunlight. We use a Futon double mattress and are comfy as. When unpowered, I run a solar panel, into an AGM battery to run the fridge, LED lights and charge our phones. Flat pack fire pit for heat.

edited, here's a pic, at Forrest.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I’m Okee Dokee with it, but a lot of campgrounds will only allow fire pits. Plus my flat pack has a built in hot plate and grill for cookering.
I don't camp very often. The last time I did (that I can remember) that involved formal camp sites there was places for fires (think national park or state forest type locations). Is this not a thing anymore?

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
I don't camp very often. The last time I did (that I can remember) that involved formal camp sites there was places for fires (think national park or state forest type locations). Is this not a thing anymore?
It is, but in these times of change, they're pretty inflexible on where and when and how much other shit will catch alight. Think of a Nun's girly bits, it drier than that out there. So if you want to camp away from the established sites so you're not sharing with a bogan (or twelve) you need to bring your own.

Last edited:

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
It is, but in these times of change, they're pretty inflexible on where and when and how much other shit will catch alight. Think of a Nun's girly bits, it drier than that out there. So if you want to camp away from the established sites so you're not sharing with a bogan (or twelve) you need to bring you're own.
What if you dont want to bring your own bogan? Can you rent them?

rextheute

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Southern Cross Tourer Tent - exxy ( relatively speaking ). But will buy once and it will last 20 yrs .

Or , buy a more 'reasonably' priced tent to test whether you actually like the idea , keeping in mind all the extra stuff required as stated by Lazmo etc .
chairs tables fridge lights battery etc .
Have you considered a small camper trailer ?
Meganne may be limited on ball weight - tow cap will be okay for a lighter touring trailer ,

But , you are paying for convienience , ease of use and robustness - not sure if an actual word .....
cheap is still cheap and certainly has a place - Aussies love cheap shit , but complain when it fails to proceed or last for the whole 3 days on a long weekend .
( see notes regarding Bogans in the preceding posts . )

ps - disclaimer . I have a camper trailer and a caravan , they are towed with an Aussie Bogan Ute , which works fine for me .
i have recently slept in my swag in the tub of ute . Very comfy ,and means i can have bike on towbar rack .

Enjoy the search , many rabbit holes await !

Haakon

Keeps on digging
Southern Cross Tourer Tent - exxy ( relatively speaking ). But will buy once and it will last 20 yrs .

Or , buy a more 'reasonably' priced tent to test whether you actually like the idea , keeping in mind all the extra stuff required as stated by Lazmo etc .
chairs tables fridge lights battery etc .
Have you considered a small camper trailer ?
Meganne may be limited on ball weight - tow cap will be okay for a lighter touring trailer ,

But , you are paying for convienience , ease of use and robustness - not sure if an actual word .....
cheap is still cheap and certainly has a place - Aussies love cheap shit , but complain when it fails to proceed or last for the whole 3 days on a long weekend .
( see notes regarding Bogans in the preceding posts . )

ps - disclaimer . I have a camper trailer and a caravan , they are towed with an Aussie Bogan Ute , which works fine for me .
i have recently slept in my swag in the tub of ute . Very comfy ,and means i can have bike on towbar rack .

Enjoy the search , many rabbit holes await !
Megane has a 70kg ball weight limit and will happily pull 500kg without brakes - its a 1350kg car so doesn't get pushed around too much. Have considered camper trailers, as well as selling the Meg and buying a Kangoo and fitting it out! Or get a better towing car - but its worth fuck all to sell and is a good car for what it is. May as well keep using it.

I reckon I might give this a go though https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/front-runner-roof-top-tent.html

Its the lightest one around I can find at 40kg, and has a lower profile when packed. Most basic RTT are around 60kg. Apparently they're about $1600 in Australia.

Lazmo

Old and hopeless
Hackon, why a roof top tent? What’s wrong with an earth top tent? Can you stand up in your 1.3 x 2.5 tent? Why the necessary attachment to your frog buzzbox ? Do you really want to use a ladder to get into your tent? I’d maybe consider a roof top tent on a troop carrier in FNQ or NT, just for croc city, but on a buzzbox anywhere else in Oz? Why? Bizarre? Looking forward to the negative adventures. All that money to turn an ok handling buzzbox into a top heavy wind noise fuel sucking POS. Not to mention 40kg + 80kg + 55kg + humping = f~cked roofracks and car. And the real bonus is you get to kip in sleeping bags... ok, no humping, coz the ad, says so, woohoo.