Rook SS

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Built this up as a bit of a muck around bike, something to take around with the little ones(beats chasing after them at the pump track :) but it's turning out to be a really fun ride. Tried to keeps the build as cheap as possible so lots of trolling bargain basement bins, second hand, and bits n pieces I had lying around. It was all going real good,,,,till I got to the forks.. hehe

Frame-Nukeproof Rook SS(long)
Forks-RS Pike DJ 140mm
Bars-Renthal Fatbar(cut 760mm)
Grips-ODI Ruffian
Stem-Truvativ Hussefelt(40mm)
Headset-Cane Creek 40
Brakes-Code
Shifter-X0 9sp
Rear Der-X9 9sp(short)
Cassette-9sp(11-34)
Cranks-Saint(165mm)
Chain Guide-eThirteen
Chain Ring-eThirteen 35t
Pedals-Spank Spike
Seatpost-Thompson Elite
Seat-WTB V Comp cheapy
Wheels-Hope Pro 2 Evo hubs on black rims
Mudguard-Bender Fender(Thanks Al@Pushie)

Given my history, any or all of this could change at any moment,, haha
RookSS2.jpg

Last edited:

Ezkaton

Eats Squid
Where'd you get the Pike DJ from, and how much?

I'm yet to see them for sale anywhere... I was considering some for my Trance at one point, since 140mm is the max the frame should have.
But never been able to find them.

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Looks sweet thinking about building one of these myself, do they ride as good as they look.
Looks good, will be interested in how it rides too.
Haven't had the chance to get it out much and I only can compare it to my V10, but the bike rips. Rides alot better than I thought it would. The forks are quite impressive, I've only changed the PSI a couple of times at the start, few clicks of rebound and haven't touch them since and they feel like my 888s. I've had it at the pump track and some trails. It handles the rough stuff surprisingly well and kills it at the pump track. It's just a shame the old timer sitting on it is holding it back :)

Where'd you get the Pike DJ from, and how much?

I'm yet to see them for sale anywhere... I was considering some for my Trance at one point, since 140mm is the max the frame should have.
But never been able to find them.
Got them from NS Dynamics for $950 plus postage. Yup, the forks blew the budget but I'm glad I did it :)

Sweet looking ride Ko!

those wheels look familiar? :eyebrows:
Thanks mate, amazed I haven't flatted the back yet.... must be good quality eh :):)

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
Turned out pretty damn nice for a 'budget' build.

Also interested in a ride report, jumps, manuals, cornering?

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Turned out pretty damn nice for a 'budget' build.

Also interested in a ride report, jumps, manuals, cornering?
Sorry about the late reply, for some reason I don't get email notices and only sometimes get notices in the control panel.

Anyway, biggest thing I noticed about the bike is how quickly it accelerates, likes to go fast and feels very balanced. Jumps easily and smoothly(not that it's had alot of air time) and corners really well(alot better than I can:). Easy to manual but it's very different to the DH bike. The DH bike would squat into the suspension straight away while this thing would stand right up if you know what I mean. The rear can feel a bit harsh when the shock is cold, but once warmed seems to get more dampening and plusher. Rides anything smooth and semi smooth stuff really well and not too shabby on the rough stuff either. You've def got to pick your lines and sometimes get the feeling "one little rock the wrong way and I'm on my arse" :) Just a feeling though, it's never going to happen :)..haha. I'm really happy with the bike though, rides really light and flickable.

takai

Eats Squid
You've def got to pick your lines and sometimes get the feeling "one little rock the wrong way and I'm on my arse" :) Just a feeling though, it's never going to happen :)..haha. I'm really happy with the bike though, rides really light and flickable.
Oooh, thanks for confirming my choice not to get one ;) Seems a bit pernickety for doing all day trail bike duties. Thanks for the ride report.