ROAD Rook takes pawn...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I never thought I'd be a retro bike fanatic, but it seems I am one of the last few people rolling on 26 inch bikes and by default I guess I'm a duck? I don't take riding very seriously, I've never raced, I dont really push any boundaries of limits, and I certainly don't ride very far or very often. I tend to just enjoy playing around having fun on the odd chance I get out for a pedal. My small collection of slope style bikes seems to fit on well with this.

A few years ago I tried to purchase one of these frames from chain reaction. They were on a massive clear out. But when it arrived there was a significant dent in the down tube so I returned the frame. I must have purchased the last one as they were unable to provide a replacement. In the lead up to purchasing the frame I received some very useful information from @NUMBER5 who happened to have one such frame. Over the years I may have checked in with him to make sure if he wanted to sell it that I was foremost in his mind. This nagging must have paid off! A few months back made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

I had meant to get this bike assembled at the start of the lockdown but struggled with motivation. Over the last 2 weeks I have knuckled down, finishing it off last night.

BEHOLD! In all its glory...the Nuke Proof Rook. (Crowd cheers)

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Very nice mate.
Just out of interest, do you have any idea what something like this would weigh?
Looks like it would be nuke proof!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Very nice mate.
Just out of interest, do you have any idea what something like this would weigh?
I'll put it on the scales tomorrow. My polygon is light, can't remember how light though.

Nice ride Poodles, like always, what do the new gargoyles ride like?

Was hoping to see a flash of pink.

View attachment 381892
I tried to buy the pink ones when they were current but...so hard to find at the time. Would still like a set! Currently they Argyll ride like they need a service. They were one of my mates for the last couple of years and he seemed to like them plenty

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Posts regarding image size and hosting issues moved here:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Very nice mate.
I put it on the scales tongiht and it came on at 13.9kg. of course I have immediately panicked and am on the hunt for 500 excess grams...crank, pedals, cassette, bars all spring to mind as problem solvers. The crank is the only thing I'd be eager to swap out though. In all likelihood there will be a weight gain before a weight loss. The forks look nice but 32mm (I think) stanchions aren't likely to be poodle proof off road.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I put it on the scales tongiht and it came on at 13.9kg. of course I have immediately panicked and am on the hunt for 500 excess grams...crank, pedals, cassette, bars all spring to mind as problem solvers. The crank is the only thing I'd be eager to swap out though. In all likelihood there will be a weight gain before a weight loss. The forks look nice but 32mm (I think) stanchions aren't likely to be poodle proof off road.
That's pretty good IMO, looks way heavier than that. What a beast!
But I suppose little wheels and tyres make a difference.
Guess it doesn't really matter anyway for its intended use! Looks like a well fun machine :)

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I just had a look through my older similar builds listed on here and it is in the ball park. The other fee were 13.5-14kg.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Very nice build @pink poodle
I would love to see the spec list

And here it is...current spec for the bike:

Frame - Nuke Proof Rook 2000 and something something. I found this frame colour on a vital posting from 2013.

Rear shock - fox float CTD

Fork - rock shock Argyll rct solo air (140mm)

Wheels
Rims - DT Swiss ex500 (can't decide if I should de-sticker the front or re-sticker the rear!)
Fr hub - DT Swiss 350 (giant sticker on it as well)
R hub - hope pro evo2

Tyres - Schwalbe table top

Brakes - xt fr = 203mm r = 180mm

Headset - nukeproof thing

Stem - blank 40mm stem from my polygon Trid zz

Bars - blank 750mm from Trid

Grips - fi'zi:K slim grips

Shifter + rear mech - Shimano zee

Cassette - 10 speed something from Shimano.

Chain - Shimano 10 speed

Post - ks e10 125mm dropper

Crank - samox (it came off the grid as well)

Pedals - spank spoon DC

Chain guide - Shimano Saint

Seat - chromage something something.

Seat clamp - bolt on YT

I think that's all the bits.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Looks super Poods. I will borrow next visit to beautiful Newcastle.

Lock it up well this time. Chaining hungry dogs to the handlebars is acceptable in many neighbourhoods.

Enjoy it and the big air shots can't be too far away.

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Sexy

Some of the similar somox cranks are in the 900 gram territory, along with ditching the tubes and going tubeless there some weight to save there

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Looks super Poods. I will borrow next visit to beautiful Newcastle.
We can rip some phat skids.

Sexy

Some of the similar somox cranks are in the 900 gram territory, along with ditching the tubes and going tubeless there some weight to save there

I'll be switching cranks once something I like becomes available. I'm particularly keen for a saint crank. Tubes will stay, the experience of wearing jizz ejaculating out of a glass cut at 60psi is something I don want to repeat.