ROAD Rook takes pawn...

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
I'll be switching cranks once something I like becomes available. I'm particularly keen for a saint crank. Tubes will stay, the experience of wearing jizz ejaculating out of a glass cut at 60psi is something I don want to repeat.
If you’re saving money not having to buy tubeless tape, might as well buy some eeWings.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Swapped out the pedals. Spank spoons off and blackspire nylotrax on. Same colour maintained. Just been for a quick pedal around town and have achieved a high level of foot horn.

Booked forks and shock in for service....3 week wait time. It will be a while before this gets onto the dirt. Sigh.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well then...fork service went well but the shock had a blown rebound circuit. November and December were really busy and January was January so I didn't get around to this job. Finally sent the shock in a few days before I got covid and then got it back a few days ago.

Front and rear both feel really smooth. When I get back from holidays I will get this out on a trail and see how it goes.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I popped this on the scales today...14.2kg. the dropper is gone, as it was part of the B&E theft of my last trid zz. I can see plenty of easy gram cuts, like removing a bunch of the generic samox part, but can't see it adding up to hundreds of grams.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I finally got this bike onto the dirt and into the air! The results? I was really surprised how well this bike rides. After building it up and having spent a lot on time on newer (but now not so new) style frames the ride position felt odd, uncomfortable, and not in line with what I had expected. The steering in particular felt super twitchy and unbalanced. I was also worried that the forks were going to feel like wet noodles.

Fortunately I was wrong! Once on the dirt and rolling into the jump line his bike felt spot on. It boosts off the lips, is easily controlled and maneuvered in the air, and felt quite stiff all round. The forks aren't going to win any awards for their performance, but they felt just fine for the jump line and related cornering. Frame whips out and lays over just like you'd expect.

On the trails this bike was snappy and responsive, a lot of fun as long as the trail wasn't all chunder! Once it gets into the rocks or roots it bounces around something savage! My ride buddy made a few jokes about it looking like a bull ride. But small drops, berms, jumps, sprints and this bike was on fire. We finished the afternoon with some unnecessarily fast (11t from the get go) sprints into a small double followed by a big double resulting in some sizeable flat landing by me which the bike handled really well. The chunky arse roots and ruts switch back after said jumps...not so much. Last run I drove a straight line though the corners and into the scrub.

I think I will be making some spec changes, mostly removing the generic parts in favour of more robust options.

chunkyapple

Sherlock Pommes
This is awesome, both of my bikes are still 26" although they have relatively modern spec. I like the smaller wheels too, so much more playful. My weird slope bike thing is pretty much getting built for the same reasons, just needs a bit more fork and it'll be perfect!

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
This is awesome, both of my bikes are still 26" although they have relatively modern spec. I like the smaller wheels too, so much more playful. My weird slope bike thing is pretty much getting built for the same reasons, just needs a bit more fork and it'll be perfect!
All of my bikes are still 26 @chunkyapple. This was the beater build, have a look at:

https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/index.php?threads/street-legal.319132/

https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/index.php?threads/pantera-calle.317194/

https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/index.php?threads/poodle-style-a-second-vision.295484/

https://www.rotorburn.com/forums/index.php?threads/poodle-style-a-second-vision.295484/

Sadly all stolen except (fortunately) the scout.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Straight from 26 to 29 will be a steep learning curve. Haven’t thought of testing the scout as 27.5 first?
Nah. I have thought of keeping it, but once I pull my finger out of my lazy space I'll just take the plunge. Then if I can sell scout fame I have other projects for the parts that the frame sale will fund.

It might be wrong way to roll, but I'll live with it. The guys I ride most with currently are all on 29. So I'll at least look the part.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Now with Sain crank! I decided to match up the drive and brakes. I am tempted to move my nukeproof stem+bar combo over from the scout to further this endeavour.