Rotational weight over long distance riding

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Got some back to back days riding coming up soon and I'm pondering tyre choice. How important do you think it becomes to look at tyre weights over long distance riding? Would a 200-400G weight saving across the 2 tyres make a big difference to how much energy you use over a 4 day riding event? Is it worth the money to throw on fresh tyres for an event? I'm referring to the upcoming Port to Port.... I ask because I have a cramping issue that I struggle to get on top of and P2P makes me nervous about it. So keeping my legs happy as possible might help. Thoughts?

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm not sure it would make a huge difference, as you probably gain a little on the rolling stuff with the momentum.

Mentally, it may make a difference but it's not going to stop the cramps

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Anything to bring the weight down will only pay dividends day after day in a long xc race. But the old adage of it always hurts the same you only get faster will ring true here. But a faster time does mean less time in the saddle every day.

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd be looking more at the tread type as well as weight. Weight will be a factor if a lot of climbing is involved. Tread will affect you everywhere.

DMan

There is plenty of climbing over the 4 days. I wasn't worried, but 2 weeks ago did a 4hr and cramped badly at about 40km in. Suprised me greatly as I have clocking the time on the saddle, doing lots of kms and vert m and trying really hard with my hydration. Bummed me out.
I think I'll just look to hydration, stretching and pace then over wasting money on extra tyres over ones that are basically new.
By the way, Pickle Juice does help with cramping in my opinion....

Sethius

Crashed out somewhere
Huge difference when your legs start tiring, it's why I've never understood this foam insert business with Lower tyre pressure and precious carbon rims. I get that cornering on carbon wheels feels amazing popping out of the corner, but the penalties with all this extra shit seems to of negated that benefit.

Fast rolling tyres with some decent pressure, and well set up suspension will be your friend. Add some new grips if you're down to the casing.

When did you last flat?

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Are you using a hydration mix (Skratch, Endura or something similar?)

The cramps could be from a multitude of things.

I know it is almost impossible to do, but ride each day with an eye on the last day - well within yourself.
You will lose a lot more time blowing up on the 3rd/4th day than if you kept 10 mins up your sleeve each day prior

DMan

Huge difference when your legs start tiring, it's why I've never understood this foam insert business with Lower tyre pressure and precious carbon rims. I get that cornering on carbon wheels feels amazing popping out of the corner, but the penalties with all this extra shit seems to of negated that benefit.

Fast rolling tyres with some decent pressure, and well set up suspension will be your friend. Add some new grips if you're down to the casing.

When did you last flat?
Only Sunday on landing from a drop, but I think it was mainly due to pushing the tyre beyond it limits. The rear is a Ardent race. I'm just setting up a set of 32id rims with a 2.5 DHF front/ 2.5 Aggressor back. The new wheelset is the same weight roughly as the set it's replacing. It's just the tyres are heavier now going from 2.35 3C Exo tyres to 2.5 EXOs both ends

Are you using a hydration mix (Skratch, Endura or something similar?)

The cramps could be from a multitude of things.

I know it is almost impossible to do, but ride each day with an eye on the last day - well within yourself.
You will lose a lot more time blowing up on the 3rd/4th day than if you kept 10 mins up your sleeve each day prior
I know. It's the old "How long is a piece of string?" analogy. But yes I am. I use Infinite. That's my plan. We're treating it like a long ride opposed to a race scenario. What spooked me though is I thought I had heaps up my sleeve to at the 4hr but suddenly cramped. I'm also terrible at stretching before a ride ( Not too bad after) and I have very tight hamstrings so maybe I need to work on serious stretching before since that's where I cramped.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I'd be looking more at the tread type as well as weight. Weight will be a factor if a lot of climbing is involved. Tread will affect you everywhere.
This. Usually heavier tyres have bigger knobs which dont do much good on fast/long marathon stage races.

My go to tyres for quite a while for XC and marathon events were Conti Cross-king F and Race-king R in Black Chilli tubeless.

Just did the DW 24hr on new Vittoria Graphene 2.0 Barzos, 2.35 front and 2.25 rear, plenty of volume and grip for fast tyres, reckon the 2.35 was around the 700g so not light by any means, but fast, great casing protection and grippy over the XC terrain.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This. Usually heavier tyres have bigger knobs which dont do much good on fast/long marathon stage races.

My go to tyres for quite a while for XC and marathon events were Conti Cross-king F and Race-king R in Black Chilli tubeless.

Just did the DW 24hr on new Vittoria Graphene 2.0 Barzos, 2.35 front and 2.25 rear, plenty of volume and grip for fast tyres, reckon the 2.35 was around the 700g so not light by any means, but fast, great casing protection and grippy over the XC terrain.
Been loving my Vittoria tyres lately too. Currently setup with a Barzo front and Mezcal rear. Both around 700g but good protection and really fast rolling

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
agree with the others , look to rolling resistance..schwalbe thunderburt will let you roll as quick as possible. forget 2.5” tyres..i ran some 27.5+ for a short while, started with 2.8, down to 2.6...pedalled like a dog on anything not steep up/down. 2.25/2.3 front, 2.1 rear will keep u rolling quick, small centre tread with some side knob
PS get nightly run downs, either learn to do it yourself or get someone else, try Mg oil on the leg musvles

DMan

So basically you are all saying reset the old rims up with narrower tyres...

agree with the others , look to rolling resistance..schwalbe thunderburt will let you roll as quick as possible. forget 2.5” tyres..i ran some 27.5+ for a short while, started with 2.8, down to 2.6...pedalled like a dog on anything not steep up/down. 2.25/2.3 front, 2.1 rear will keep u rolling quick, small centre tread with some side knob
PS get nightly run downs, either learn to do it yourself or get someone else, try Mg oil on the leg musvles
I have some Mg oil but hated the tingly feeling I got where I used it. Might give it another go though. Nothing to lose...

teK--

Eats Squid
I'm guessing over 4 days every bit of weight reduction and energy preservation helps.. towards the end the benefits are probably exponentially better than at the start of the event! Also it's when proper bike fit, posture on bike and technique becomes much more important compared to your usual 3-4 hour weekend ride.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'd look at lighter tyres as long as it didn't compromise grip, puncture resistance or comfort too much.
Magnesium can help with cramping too I find.
Definitely avoid going too wide on the rear, as stated above it really shows up on pedalling uphill.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Ikon on the rear in 2'20 and HR2 or Ardent on the front in 2'3, it's an XC event the race will be won on the hill climbs.

DMan

Ikon on the rear in 2'20 and HR2 or Ardent on the front in 2'3, it's an XC event the race will be won on the hill climbs.
Slow down cowboy. I'm not in it to win it. To me it's social. My wife is the competitive one...

DMan

I'd look at lighter tyres as long as it didn't compromise grip, puncture resistance or comfort too much.
Magnesium can help with cramping too I find.
Definitely avoid going too wide on the rear, as stated above it really shows up on pedalling uphill.
Valid points and the reason I went from 120tpi to 60tpi. So 2.5 on the back is too wide......... ops.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Slow down cowboy. I'm not in it to win it. To me it's social. My wife is the competitive one...
lol! Where's you competitiveness side, some of the rides look like a hard slog, 48Kms/ 1160m of climbing, pretty sure they have sweepers if you're too slow as well.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Do what @slider_phil says and go 2.35 Barzo/Mezcal.

That was my combo too until I wore out the Mezcal.

Currently running a 2.2 Conti X King on the back til it dies. Not sold on it, the speedo is showing the same numbers but it feels dead and harder to push

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Conti xking is a great front tyre. In 2.4 its my favourite. Didn't like it at all as a rear. Much prefer the race king in the rear or if i need more grip then the new Schwalbe Racing Ralph rear specific tyre. If I need even more rear grip then the Conti Mountain King 2 is awesome but not as fast rolling as the race king or racing ralph.