Rotational weight over long distance riding

Ackland

chats d'élevage
The most important thing is that you're comfortable that the tyres you run will suit the terrain.
For the Port2Port.. you could get away with slicks most of the time.

If you've already got new tyres installed, just run w what you have. No use throwing big money around, especially since you've said that you're mostly there to enjoy it and not worry the podium.

Edit: wait, just saw you've got 2.5 dhfs....
Take them off straight away, this is endurance, not enduro! o_O

To help with backing it up, after each stage, have a beer, let your muscles relax and eat a good dinner (no, a massive Parmi isn't a "good dinner" but yeah I would too). After dinner make sure you start your re hydration for the next day.
I've given my 2c on your cramps on the other thread.

Since everyone is recommending tyres....
Schwalbe Racing Ray 2.2 Front
Schwalbe Thunder Burt 1.9 Rear

Last edited:
Maybe something to look at dietary wise or recovery prior to the ride where you cramped. If the training load has been high in the specific genre you are looking to race I wouldn’t have thought 2-400g would greatly hinder you if you’re body is lacking proper minerals/rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
sorry but big tyres are no good for what. u r doing its surely not that gnarly?
Agree w Auckland.about tyre choice size.
Most cramping is due to hydration ,urine colour is the best guide.
Careful w too much gels or salts.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
lol! Where's you competitiveness side, some of the rides look like a hard slog, 48Kms/ 1160m of climbing, pretty sure they have sweepers if you're too slow as well.
Luckily I'm not that slow that I'll need the sweeper. I hope. But I'm not planning on a 2 hr completion either. I'll leave that to the elites.

DMan

sorry but big tyres are no good for what. u r doing its surely not that gnarly?
Agree w Auckland.about tyre choice size.
Most cramping is due to hydration ,urine colour is the best guide.
Careful w too much gels or salts.
True. I'm building up a wheelset for home riding. But it's what got me started on thinking about the P2P riding as I realised that they aren't optimal for long distance/ large climbing days. Cramping, I'm more thinking about leg fatigue. Hydration I'm working on as a separate thing.

DMan

The most important thing is that you're comfortable that the tyres you run will suit the terrain.
For the Port2Port.. you could get away with slicks most of the time.

If you've already got new tyres installed, just run w what you have. No use throwing big money around, especially since you've said that you're mostly there to enjoy it and not worry the podium.

Edit: wait, just saw you've got 2.5 dhfs....
Take them off straight away, this is endurance, not enduro! o_O

To help with backing it up, after each stage, have a beer, let your muscles relax and eat a good dinner (no, a massive Parmi isn't a "good dinner" but yeah I would too). After dinner make sure you start your re hydration for the next day.
I've given my 2c on your cramps on the other thread.

Since everyone is recommending tyres....
Schwalbe Racing Ray 2.2 Front
Schwalbe Thunder Burt 1.9 Rear

View attachment 352587
I'll load the old wheelset up then and run that. The new set up is definitely overkill for P2P. Thanks for the advice on back it up Ack.

DMan

I'm on a strict budget unfortuantely so I've decided to go with a set of Onza Canis in a 2.25 format. I'm going with the C3 60TPI sidewall and they come in at 750G. I'll set both our bikes up with them. The reviews are good and MTB Direct have them running out at $31 each which is a bargain...

creaky

XMAS Plumper
I think at least mentally you'll be wishing you had some nice light tyres with decent rolling. P2P had a crazy mud year recently didn't it? I'd be looking at something like Racing Ralph or Ikon rear and a Nobby Nic or Ardent Race front.

DMan

I think at least mentally you'll be wishing you had some nice light tyres with decent rolling. P2P had a crazy mud year recently didn't it? I'd be looking at something like Racing Ralph or Ikon rear and a Nobby Nic or Ardent Race front.
Not sure about the mud? Last years Youtube feed didn't seem a problem but the Canis seems to hold up in wet and has good grip from what I've read.

Flow-Rider

Burner
Not sure about the mud? Last years Youtube feed didn't seem a problem but the Canis seems to hold up in wet and has good grip from what I've read.
I'm running a Canis on the rear of the xc bike and it works pretty well all round, never tried one on the front.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm on a strict budget unfortuantely so I've decided to go with a set of Onza Canis in a 2.25 format. I'm going with the C3 60TPI sidewall and they come in at 750G. I'll set both our bikes up with them. The reviews are good and MTB Direct have them running out at $31 each which is a bargain...
Have you ordered yet? If not I'll send you some Onza Svelts in 29x2.25 I'm not using anymore. That is if you're on 29". Only a couple of rides on them so they are in perfect nick

DMan

Have you ordered yet? If not I'll send you some Onza Svelts in 29x2.25 I'm not using anymore. That is if you're on 29". Only a couple of rides on them so they are in perfect nick
I haven't ordered them. Mate, that is very generous! I'm happy to pay the postage if you are sure you don't need them?

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I haven't ordered them. Mate, that is very generous! I'm happy to pay the postage if you are sure you don't need them?
I've got that many XC tyres I don't know what to do with them all

PM me your address and I'll get the missus to post them off in the morning