Rotoburners Age

Martin318is

Likes Bikes
36 - I don't really understand the whole DH vs Freeride vs XC vs Road vs Track vs BMX thing here.

If you're worth talking to then great. If you are a Muppet then you are a Muppet. Got nothing to do with your age or what you ride.

Mattydv

Likes Bikes and Dirt
36 - I don't really understand the whole DH vs Freeride vs XC vs Road vs Track vs BMX thing here.

If you're worth talking to then great. If you are a Muppet then you are a Muppet. Got nothing to do with your age or what you ride.
I might have missed it, but who's said anything about the worth of talking to someone?

What I said earlier, and I believe others to be echoing, is that as a generalisation, you would find less <20 y.o.'s that post in the XC section compared to the DJ/Street or BMX section, due to the image of the specific discipline. And again, as another broad generalisation, the older the poster, the more worthwhile and sensible the post is.

Edit: Meh, it's really not worthwhile discussing. Everyone rides, everyone enjoys it. That's my last contribution :)

Last edited:

KALBO

Likes Bikes
...37 in a couple weeks here. As much as possible I act my age but its too hard coz I'm 25 years old within:D I ride like I'm 25 but the body keeps reminding me that I'm a lot older:D:cool:

Moggio

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Twilight months of 39, but feel young because I still get acne... :)

Also been riding only 4 years so in many ways I ride like a 12year old stuck doing XC.

frank-oi

Likes Dirt
26 now. Riding MTB since 12, racing (DH) since 16, but only now racing XC since 25. The best decision i've made. Now that i have got my partner an XC bike, we ride together rather then her just driving Shuttles (Prior dh life). Also some BMX racing thrown in there as well.

disfocus

Likes Dirt
36, but feeling 60 after the last few months' tally of new baby, tweaked back, cracked ribs, swine flu and broken hand (the last still in plaster :-().

Martin318is

Likes Bikes
I might have missed it, but who's said anything about the worth of talking to someone?

What I said earlier, and I believe others to be echoing, is that as a generalisation, you would find less <20 y.o.'s that post in the XC section compared to the DJ/Street or BMX section, due to the image of the specific discipline. And again, as another broad generalisation, the older the poster, the more worthwhile and sensible the post is.
Hadn't noticed your comments - wasn't referring to them as the OP didn't make a distinction about this subforum.

I was merely talking about the attitude that I have noticed in the posts by more than a few members here (and by here I mean rotorburn, not just the XC forum) that attacking other riders based upon the type of rider they are or the make of bike they ride makes sense. These types of comments are usually attributed to younger people but to me this is a sign of immaturity and maturity is not granted with age. There are some quite mature teenagers here, and likewise I am sure that a number of people 30+ or higher still have a way to go to get there.

So all I was saying is that I don't consider riding style or age a factor in whether I pay attention to what someone is saying. (from the original post it appeared that the LBS was dismissing the site because they DO) Sorry if that annoyed you.

stinkytodamax

Likes Dirt
26 years young. I have been into mountain biking before suspension came on Kmart bikes. 1991ish. Rode a speedwell with steel 24in wheels and ten speeds of madness. We seems to go everywhere bikes that would be considered rubbish these days. A friends father even bulldozed an MTB track for us at this farm. 17km ride out to the trail and then a day there and camp the night. Luckily we had trusting parents and we didn't burn down his wooded section.

Makes me feel old when I pick up all the old MTB mags I have at the parents place. Had a go at everything DH, trials, trails and these days XC. Even picked up a road bike about a year ago. Helped me lose the 12kgs so far this year.

Loving XC now since I picked up a Stumpjumper at a really good price. I think the evolution of 4-5in travel bikes has made MTB an even more accessible past time.

jackedin

Likes Dirt
48 and still going and lovin it more and more.
I remember blasting around the vacant paddocks with the mates on our Dragsters on dirt tracks having fun 1969. What bmx.
That's what riding has always been to me FUN

garrry

Squid
im a couple of months away from the quarter century (as my girlfriend likes to remind me).
ive just jumped back on the pushie affter a long rest and im loving every minute. theres alot of really usefull info on here.
cheers:D