Rotorburn Leaderboard.

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
Just started Smolov JR to work on my poverty bench. This is my first time doing any program that I didn't write myself or have written by my brother.

Exciting times.

my02

Likes Dirt
Had a random day of feeling strong yesterday so thought I'd push the SQ a little.

160 SQ went up well and I think 170 should be there by end of September. Thats a 10kg markup on my last effort as I've been struggling with technique (which seems good now). Nothing earth shattering but it feels good to have a technique that feels solid.

Today was mean't to be light BP but I was still feeling strong so I had a play with DL and hit my goal of 190 no problem so went for 200 and got that as well. Very chuffed. Hopefully I can get 220 by the end of the year.

Dilstub

Likes Dirt
Got the go-ahead to squat heavy two weeks ago, sitting at about 4.5 months post-knee reco.

Deadlift is down to 150 from 210, BS is at 110 from 150, and my hang clean is somewhere around 75-80. But fark, it's so good to be lifting heavy again!

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
Had a random day of feeling strong yesterday so thought I'd push the SQ a little.

160 SQ went up well and I think 170 should be there by end of September. Thats a 10kg markup on my last effort as I've been struggling with technique (which seems good now). Nothing earth shattering but it feels good to have a technique that feels solid.

Today was mean't to be light BP but I was still feeling strong so I had a play with DL and hit my goal of 190 no problem so went for 200 and got that as well. Very chuffed. Hopefully I can get 220 by the end of the year.
Solid!

I ditched Smolov JR because it was boring as shit. Now benching 3 times a week going by percentages so hopefully see some bench gainz soon.

In other news, here is my brother with a 285kg block pull:

11911037_10153574633929948_176047342_n.jpg

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
I don't know if anyone even reads this anymore haha, but a couple of PRs lately.

180kg snatch grip dead (true snatch grip) last week which was pretty easy really. 170kg low bar for 2 reps on saturday, pretty confident I had a third which would mean my 1rm would be close to 190kg. Would loooooove 200

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Yeah I still read it. I've nothing noteworthy to add training wise, but it's great to see your progress!

EDIT: FWIW, my latest PR/Achievement is a 150x10 Deadlift - mix grip regular stance (Cant sumo to save my self). I'm working on strict bar muscle ups for reps at the moment, though it's heinously strenuous on my shoulders/elbows so I'm just doing some strengthening accessory work in the meantime. People have said that if you can do strict ring MU's, then bar should be no problem (usually said by people that can do neither :p ) Strict ring MU's are no problem, bar MU is a completely different movement. Much respect to those who can do them for reps.

Last edited:

my02

Likes Dirt
Nice work on the snatch grip.

I've no PRs since the SQ and DL.

I found myself pretty knackered after the DL and SQ the other week so I'm backing off and going for 3 & 5 RMs instead.

Need to drop a few kgs now so changing to more conditioning style training.

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
Yeah I still read it. I've nothing noteworthy to add training wise, but it's great to see your progress!

EDIT: FWIW, my latest PR/Achievement is a 150x10 Deadlift - mix grip regular stance (Cant sumo to save my self). I'm working on strict bar muscle ups for reps at the moment, though it's heinously strenuous on my shoulders/elbows so I'm just doing some strengthening accessory work in the meantime. People have said that if you can do strict ring MU's, then bar should be no problem (usually said by people that can do neither :p ) Strict ring MU's are no problem, bar MU is a completely different movement. Much respect to those who can do them for reps.
Solid. What do you weigh? I'd love to work out the technique for these things.

ajay

That's a really good video mate. Keep it simple. Work a lot on the transition (doing negatives). The only thing they didn't really talk about is hand position. Some can do strict bar MUs by starting in the false grip (wrists cocked over the bar) and do a really smooth strong MU without the quick transition. If you start with your hands in the same position as a pull up, you'll need to create that momentum to get your chest over the bar.
Strict ring MUs are easier, though require probably the same preperation (negatives, chest high ring pullups). Pull your chest to your hands, and kind push your chest through, keeping your hands in contact with your pecks the whole way.
Tricky to explain in words without a demo at the same time...

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
That's a really good video mate. Keep it simple. Work a lot on the transition (doing negatives). The only thing they didn't really talk about is hand position. Some can do strict bar MUs by starting in the false grip (wrists cocked over the bar) and do a really smooth strong MU without the quick transition. If you start with your hands in the same position as a pull up, you'll need to create that momentum to get your chest over the bar.
Strict ring MUs are easier, though require probably the same preperation (negatives, chest high ring pullups). Pull your chest to your hands, and kind push your chest through, keeping your hands in contact with your pecks the whole way.
Tricky to explain in words without a demo at the same time...
Sweet. I'll have to give this a go this week!

140kg high bar x 5 today. 3 rep PR. I estimate my high bar to be 175kg, and my low bar 190kg currently. I really really really want 200kg squat.

My bench is finally feeling good too! Turns out benching heavyish 3x a week did the trick.

Gainz.

ajay

Sweet. I'll have to give this a go this week!

140kg high bar x 5 today. 3 rep PR. I estimate my high bar to be 175kg, and my low bar 190kg currently. I really really really want 200kg squat.

My bench is finally feeling good too! Turns out benching heavyish 3x a week did the trick.

Gainz.
I'll never get to 200 haha. Most I've done is 139 x 3, and that was after a 6 week oly lifting cycle which basically squats and pulls 4 days a week. Now 120 feels like it's going to snap me!

Re bench, there's a strange correlation between getting good at some thing, and doing it a lot!

Gave you a follow on IG

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
I'll never get to 200 haha. Most I've done is 139 x 3, and that was after a 6 week oly lifting cycle which basically squats and pulls 4 days a week. Now 120 feels like it's going to snap me!

Re bench, there's a strange correlation between getting good at some thing, and doing it a lot!

Gave you a follow on IG
139 x3! If you're pulling 150x10 I find it hard to believe your squat is so far behind. I'm assuming high bar?

Yeah, I was only benching once a week (plus heavy over head press on day 3) but clearly it just wasn't enough volume. Gonna continue with 3x a week for a while and see how I go, I've definitely noticed a difference in my body composition. I've always been small upper body with big hips and legs, hopefully I can even it out a bit more...

Also, them feels when almost adequate shoulder mobility:

12025300_10153687126327193_549499536_n.jpg

I'm mad that I left my lifting shoes at home, but still happy with how these snatches looked.

ajay

139 x3! If you're pulling 150x10 I find it hard to believe your squat is so far behind. I'm assuming high bar?

Yeah, I was only benching once a week (plus heavy over head press on day 3) but clearly it just wasn't enough volume. Gonna continue with 3x a week for a while and see how I go, I've definitely noticed a difference in my body composition. I've always been small upper body with big hips and legs, hopefully I can even it out a bit more...

Also, them feels when almost adequate shoulder mobility:

View attachment 318995

I'm mad that I left my lifting shoes at home, but still happy with how these snatches looked.

Yeah my numbers are all over the place. Really bad mobility. So a movement lIke a DL works well because I've got a strong back, and tight hamstrings. It works against me when I squat as my ankle mobility is poor, I end up pretty unstable above the waist.
Yep high bar, well perhaps a little hybrid that works for me with my mobility.
Also I haven't squatted much recently, not at low reps anyway. Did a 105x10 3 weeks ago.... I really don't have the body mechanics to squat big numbers - check the Chinese lifting team. 85kg bw highbar squat with absolutely perfect form, 270 x 6.

Yep you'll lament leaving your lifting shoes at home when snatching!! What accessory work are you doing for snatch? Drop and hang snatches are great for speed.

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
Yeah my numbers are all over the place. Really bad mobility. So a movement lIke a DL works well because I've got a strong back, and tight hamstrings. It works against me when I squat as my ankle mobility is poor, I end up pretty unstable above the waist.
Yep high bar, well perhaps a little hybrid that works for me with my mobility.
Also I haven't squatted much recently, not at low reps anyway. Did a 105x10 3 weeks ago.... I really don't have the body mechanics to squat big numbers - check the Chinese lifting team. 85kg bw highbar squat with absolutely perfect form, 270 x 6.

Yep you'll lament leaving your lifting shoes at home when snatching!! What accessory work are you doing for snatch? Drop and hang snatches are great for speed.
Oh man I know the mobility struggle all too well. I have long arms and tight hamstrings so sumo deadlifts are super easy for me.

I'm currently doing snatches from the power position only, with some high pulls (I think?). Next program I'll write in some 3 position snatches as I'm still learning the technique.

In other ridiculously exciting news (for me), 3rd day (this week)of benching today and got 85 x 5 followed by 90 x 4 on my 6th set. Confident of 90 x 5 in my lifting shoes and on a better day. So damn happy. My bench has been stuck on 105 for a year so I'm confident it is over 110kg now. Would love 120kg this year.

190-120-230 would be amazing. My goal for this year was a 550kg total so if I can get anywhere near that I will be ecstatic.

ajay

Nice one mate! Volume is definitely helping aye?

100kg bench is so elusive for me, I've hovered around 95 for ages. But I don't put in the effort so I shouldnt be surprised.

Did you give MUs a go?

Callan.

Farkin Gorilla.
Nice one mate! Volume is definitely helping aye?

100kg bench is so elusive for me, I've hovered around 95 for ages. But I don't put in the effort so I shouldnt be surprised.

Did you give MUs a go?
Yeah it seems to be doing the trick! I think I was also underestimating my own strength. I did a week of Smolov JR which gave me the confidence to lift heavier. I've basically just cut it in half and stuck it in my regular program.

Previously I did something like heavy bench 5x5 on Monday followed by a bunch of accessories, then a shoulder/overhead workout on Wednesday. Currently I'm doing a similar day 1, heavy bench + all the 'shoulder' work on day 3, heavy bench on day 5 with my arms/abs/etc accessories. Seems to be working!

Haven't tried the muscle ups yet (completely forgot to be honest) but will give them a go after squats tomorrow. Going to try 180kg low bar for at least one. Fingers crossed!

ajay

Aim for 3x180!!!

I'm on a break at the moment trying to get over some shoulder tightness/niggles - it hurts even racking a bar. But all this talk is getting me motivated again. My goal for the year was a 100kg C&J. I should reinstate that!