Chain - SRAM 10sp
Pedals - M520
Rear derailleur - SRAM X9
Rear shifter - SRAM X7
Cassette - SRAM 10sp
Wheels - Stans Flow S1
Tyres - DHF/Aggressor 2.5WT
Total weight - 14.5kg or so. TBC

First ride yesterday, need to play with the suspension a fair bit. Fork was using all the travel even though Vorsprung say it is very progressive at 160mm with a Luftkappe so I’ll put another 5psi in and go again

Rear shock is awesome, there is just no comparison to an air shock, even the DPX2 on my other dually gets put to shame. Still need to play with all the adjusters. Might contemplate trying a 500lb spring if I can pick one up cheap

Apart from that, the dropper is too short and I don’t like SRAM shifting so we will see how long they last

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rsclio

Likes Dirt
Verrry nice. A few similarities to the Prime I just built
How are you liking the Maguras- mine took a bit to bed in but are feeling great so far

goobags

Likes Dirt
Verrry nice. A few similarities to the Prime I just built
How are you liking the Maguras- mine took a bit to bed in but are feeling great so far
Third set of Magura Trail Sport brakes so needless to say they’re my go to. Luckily the start of my ride involves going down a fairly good hill on bitumen so I get the opportunity to bed brakes in. Rear seems to take a lot more work than the front to come good though. Would recommend these brakes to anyone.

goobags

Likes Dirt
Nice. I like the old school bare and blue colour scheme, though their stealth black model really has me chasing my accountant's phone number...

Gees, you run your brake levers vertical. Not that it matters to me, it's what works for you. But gees, you run your brake levers vertical!

Something about that bike, it just looks comfortable and capable.
That was just the trial run, hadn’t even spun the wheels up the street but in saying that didn’t adjust the brake levers either. I thought it was the angle of the photo but damn they are a bit on the piss.

Not a fan of the stealth black. Feel like it’s been done to death lately. Also not really a fan of the blue either to be honest but the raw is awesome. Definitely won’t be getting any blue anodised bits on it. Looked at a sticker kit but the decals go over welds and it all looks too hard.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
You have the best colour there. Raw alloy with tasty welds always is a great combination.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
The majority of bikes on the trails aren’t stealth black though o_O

Fair enough you don’t like monochromin’ it up like us classy blokes but it’s not like it’s been done to death.

Good build. 10/10 would ride

Ain’t nothin like died red hair and a corset aye @uncle grumpy

goobags

Likes Dirt
Frankly, it's a bloody nice bike regardless of any fine tuning or colour preferences. I'd have that in a heartbeat and I firmly believe that every time you get a smile on your face riding it, you should PM @Mr Crudley to let him know that he really should buy one.

Don't mind me, I'm just unimaginative and indecisive so I go with black. Always had a thing for goth chicks when I was in uni as well so maybe that's part of it.
I actually checked my other bikes and all the brakes are set at a different angle. Must be to do with the angle of the dangle. Still stop me though. My main concern is the bite point distance from the bar.

goobags

Likes Dirt
The majority of bikes on the trails aren’t stealth black though o_O

Fair enough you don’t like monochromin’ it up like us classy blokes but it’s not like it’s been done to death.

Good build. 10/10 would ride

Ain’t nothin like died red hair and a corset aye @uncle grumpy
Hadn’t really thought of the bikes on the trails. Maybe you just don’t notice the black ones sneak by... plus I’m not classy so it wouldn’t suit

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Dropper didn’t last long. 185mm Bikeyoke ordered - yew!

Good choice, mines lasted pretty well. A years sporadic riding later and it has less movement than the 2016 giant dropper did when it was brand new.

goobags

Likes Dirt
Good choice, mines lasted pretty well. A years sporadic riding later and it has less movement than the 2016 giant dropper did when it was brand new.
I’ve got a 185 and 160 and they’re just a great dropper. Fun fact - the pins are bent on purpose to remove rotational play

Hipstar

Likes Dirt
A+ would ride.

Feel black or olive would be better colours though...

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

goobags

Likes Dirt
Ride report and build update.

So went out for a good session today after a few changes. The changes first - fork has been replaced with a 2017 Lyrik which was supposed to be a bargain until you buy a RC2 damper and an ACS3 coil kit... rear spring has been upped 50lb to 500lb/in, wheels have been moved from another bike, carbon and a whole millimetre wider (30mm internal) and about three parts of f### all lighter than the Stans Flow S1.

The ride -

Excellent. The tyres just grip so much and I’m sure they are pretty much the sole reason I’m faster on the descents - that and 20mm more travel than what I’m used to. It’s definitely a descending machine. The tyres roll so much slower than an Ardent it is actually surprising. I don’t know how reviewers get on 160mm enduro bikes and claim they climb well. From the reviews, the Spitfire is decent at pedalling but my Strava times show that it is not - 15% slower would be pretty consistent.

The fork is great, still needs a little fine tuning but compared to the Pike (RCT3 with a Luftkappe) it’s better but only marginally. They’re different, similar small bump and a bit more mid stroke support on the spring side but far out I don’t reckon I would pick it in a blind test (probably hit a tree riding blind). Worth the difference in retail price? Maybe not. The reviews are glowing but I think a few people are trying to justify destroying the insides of an expensive fork and spending a lot on the conversion. Happy to be proven wrong though and the spring is a huge improvement over the soloair spring - that’s just a POS.

The RC2 damper has a useful range of adjustment. Only 4 or 5 clicks of high speed adjustment and I need to play with it a bit more. Have the air Bump Stop stop to adjust as well so there is a bit of a cross over. The rebound is noisy. As in really noisy. Low speed stuff is ok but there is a distinct line in the sand when, I’m guessing, the high speed circuit kicks and it and squelches. Doesn’t bother me as it hides the creaks and rattles I can’t find. Would recommend this damper for sure

Still playing with the shock after putting the 500lb spring in it. Still not convinced the Spitfire geometry is suited to a coil. Most calculators put me around a 425lb spring and the 450lb spring was definitely not enough. Have to play with all the dials but I was focussed on the fork.

Magura brakes are excellent, so much power, mineral oil makes life easy but a they’re a bit noisy, might be the rotors I don’t know.

Other things borrowed permanently from another bike, 185mm Bikeyoke - nothing to be said there it is by far the best post I have used. Carbon wheels are round and grey/black, Hope hub is really noisy, louder than the rebound circuit on the fork and heaps louder than an annoying creak that I can’t work out of its from me pedalling or from bobbing as the freehub is so loud.

On the to do list - put an XT shifter and Zee derailleur on once I get the bar mount adaptor, SRAM ergonomics aren’t great on Magura brakes. Probably get a 10sp XT cassette at some stage once I stop spending money. In the meantime I will just ride it and look at it. Still not convinced on the blue, hence there is zero blue anodising anywhere

Updated specs

Frame - 2017 Banshee Spitfire
Rear shock - Cane Creek In-line Coil w 500lb Valt spring
Fork - 2017 Lyrik with ACS3 and RC2
Handlebars - Thomson Trail 750mm
Stem - Thomson X4 40mm
Headset - Banshee
Grips - Raceface
Saddle - SDG Charger
Seatpost - Bikeyoke 185mm with triggy
Brakes - Magura MT Trail Sport
Rotors - 180mm Magura HC
Cranks - Raceface Aeffect
Chainring - Blackspire 30t oval
Chain - SRAM 10sp
Pedals - XT
Rear derailleur - SRAM X9
Rear shifter - SRAM X7
Cassette - SRAM 10sp
Wheels - Light Bicycle 30mm internal on Hope Pro 2 Evo 40t
Tyres - DHF/Aggressor 2.5WT
Total weight - 14.8kg

Tim_the_Clyde

Likes Dirt
Love my black prime. Nice and understated other than those gold fox fork parts. Not against the raw but have an old caddx for the commute in raw already. Was a hard choice as I’m keen on both.

What I’m not so into is the bright fluro colours. Just scream too loud and hurt my eyes.