Rotors rubbing

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Problem

My new bike features boost spacing, but I wanted to re-use my old Hope brakes which have 6-bolt rotors.

The wheel builder talked me into centre lock hubs with 6-bolt adaptors, as he said this would be more flexible. What I didn't realise was that this pushes the 6 bolt rotors a bit further out than a centre lock rotor. By how much I don't know.

So when I built up the bike, my Hope floating rotors make very slight contact with the adaptor on the fork. It's just at the widest point where the two bits of the rotor meet. I skimmed a bit of meat off the adaptor and there is almost no contact, but the ridiculous tight tolerance of the whole thing is irritating.

Even with the calliper positioned as far outboard as it will go, the rotor isn't quite centred which will be annoying when I replace the pads.

I emailed Hope, and they recommended I don't use floating rotors, but didn't reply to my follow up questions.

So, question:

Would changing to a centre lock rotor move the disc inboard significantly? How many mm difference would this make? Because then I could avoid both scrubbing the adaptor with the rotor and have more flexibility with calliper position. Hubs are DT Swiss 350s I think.

Or should I just get six bolt non floating Hope rotors, which won't rub on the adaptor but still have my callipers positioned all the way out.

Attachments

Last edited:

Flow-Rider

Burner
Those adaptors ain't the best idea the nut also runs too close to the lower shock leg and little rocks and dirt gets caught in there. You could have stuffed around with different bake adaptors and try filing them for more clearance but it's more safer buying the right Rotor for the job in my opinion.

moorey

call me Mia
Hey chigs. Can't say, but I can post you a loaner centrelock rotor to try. It's 6", but shouldn't change anything.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Your rotor is far from centred in the caliper at the maximum adjustment you seem to have also which is not ideal.

Suggest a CL rotor. Bugger that you didn't get a 6 bolt hub though ....

Flow-Rider

Burner
Your rotor is far from centred in the caliper at the maximum adjustment you seem to have also which is not ideal.

Suggest a CL rotor. Bugger that you didn't get a 6 bolt hub though ....
Yep, probably doesn't help any that the rotor's hub is so wide, a normal one piece rotor will most likely fit in there.

Last edited:

latheboy

Likes Dirt
I have centre locks and Hopes on my DH bike and I had the same issue, I got the 6 bolt adaptors and machined a couple of mm of the disc face and I got the disc in the centre of the calliper with the calliper in the centre of the mounting slot.
Lots of painful measuring and delicate machining.

latheboy

Likes Dirt
Maybe you should tell your wheel builder he is a dickhead for telling you to use that combination of hub and disc adp. :)

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Thanks for the input guys, and seems like the consensus it to go centre lock.

And cheers for the offer Moorey, but I just bought a new 203 Saint rotor mentioned in the other thread for $30, so I'll save us the postage of sending yours back and forth.

Having said that, I think you said you might be interested in the scuffed Hope?

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
Ah, you were shitfaced at the time I think.

They're just 6-bolt 203 Hope floating rotors. Everyone was whingeing about the noise my bike made.

You said you'd give me $200 or thereabouts.

That's my recollection.

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
It's almost worth it to see you ride it.

No seat post adjustment allowed.