Round or flat slats

CanCer

Likes Dirt
I'm planning to spend this weekend building random things in my mates backyard, and hopefully i'm going to start some northshore/trials lovechild stuff there, as it's really the only thing the areas good for. Thinking about putting the slats on for riding, would it be alright with half log style slats or should i find larger logs to turn into flat slats?

(you'll have to turn your head to the right to understand the pictures :eek: )

i.e. round logs:
(|
(|
(|
(|

flat logs:
||
||
||
||

luke.b

Formerly DH Maniac
Depends on how you nail them on. Flat will offer more grip. But you could allways turn the half-round slats upside down, so's to create a flat riding surface. -Like in this crappy little pic.

Attachments

wannabeabighitta

Likes Bikes
It makes no difference. You probably have over 120mm of travel & you will be suprised the bumps you can easily roll over.
When i use fence palings for ramps they are 20 x 80mm. I leave a space that wide between them (80mm). You can even stretch it a bit wider on straight runs, then bring them tighter for corners.

Attachments

BrumbyJack

Likes Dirt
Don't change half way down, that's for sure.

SouthShore had a bad fall one day manualing down a ramp that was flat, but the last 4 slats were half round. When he hit the half round slats it flipped him.

luke.b

Formerly DH Maniac
wannabeabighitta said:
It makes no difference. You probably have over 120mm of travel & you will be suprised the bumps you can easily roll over.
When i use fence palings for ramps they are 20 x 80mm. I leave a space that wide between them (80mm). You can even stretch it a bit wider on straight runs, then bring them tighter for corners.

Mmmmmm, ewok, truly ewok bridges there mate. Looks sweet. Yeah, half-round should be fine, as long as the round parts are facing up, as they will be far more 'polished' and smooth as the cross section of a log 'flat'.

CanCer

Likes Dirt
mkay thanks for the ideas...
Just realised a flaw in my idea, so i'll ask now, how would you go about splitting the logs into halves?

Registered Nutcase

Likes Bikes and Dirt
DH Maniac said:
Wood splitter/block buster, axe, chainsaw, cicular saw, circular bench saw thing.
a tennon saw, or any saw disgned to cut dead wood, i.e not green.

but the axe would by far be the easiest IF you know how to swing them.

mullan2304

Likes Bikes and Dirt
DH Maniac said:
Mmmmmm, ewok, truly ewok bridges there mate. Looks sweet. Yeah, half-round should be fine, as long as the round parts are facing up, as they will be far more 'polished' and smooth as the cross section of a log 'flat'.
Polished and smooth are definetly not what you want for north shore riding. Seeing as you will be riding something rather skinny then polished and smooth would become very slippery. With grip being of importance then maybe you should invest in chicken wire.

Mur

Likes Bikes
I'd say just go flat.
You should be able to get scrap timber from somewhere (pelots of something).
much easier than splitting all your timber.
If you have your heart set on using logs, just try to get it as flat as possible. much nicer that way, and looks way more professional:)

benmwatkins

Likes Dirt
north shore

NEVER use round wood/slats/logs for bridges. As soon as its wet over you'll go. The best shit for grip is a natural log (not that bullshit treated pine crap) that has been split. The grain in the wood gives you the grip. Next id say any flat wood that is not painted or NOT really smooth. Best way is chainsaw the wood your going to ride on the its required length, then split it. For long term, attach it with long tech screws. For short term, nail it down.

Using round logs as skinny's to ride ALONG (not across) is a real challenge, but when a bridge is a certain part of your trail that you MUST ride over to get through a certain section (not around it or next to it), stay away from the round shit its painfull when wet.